Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Fog of War Idea  (Read 1261 times)

HartLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Surrender... or die trying.
    • View Profile
Fortress Fog of War Idea
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:40:43 am »

I think fortress mode could be improved if a RTSish fog of war was added.

Basicly, you implement the adventure-mode view ranges and "not visible" effects with your dwarves, so the player can't see creatures unless a dwarf is close enough, to explore the caverns a dwarf literally has to see each tile at least once, etc.

Although, to make things easier, perhaps everywhere that is "lit" is visible to the player as well, for example, the entire surface, areas with artificial lighting, and maybe even near magma.

!!Fun!! could be had if something came up and dug a cave in a hill, and an unobservant (or unlucky) player didn't notice until a dwarf wandered too close.
(The cave would be hidden because it is unlit. And the cavedigger would be hidden while in the cave.)

Due to not being able to see when a Forgotten Beast comes, you could get a warning like, "A great beast has entered the caverns." Then, when you spot the FB you get the normal descriptive message.

Improvements to lighting are probably needed for a "fog of war" system to work properly.

My first thread! :D Yay!

Sinlessraptor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Fog of War Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:44:05 am »

From what I've seen, this already sorta exists if you reclaim a fort.

But I agree, this is a good suggestion.

HartLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:51:56 am »

Oops. :-[
I should have looked further down the "fog of war" search results I had open and seen the several other threads that have apppeared over time on this subject.

However, they are all old, so I think we should discuss it anyways.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:57:37 am »

I agree with this,specially when 20 year from now when we will be able to put entire continents on on embark.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 10:59:55 am »

Good idea, it has a twist compared to the old 'Age of Empires' fog of war ideas that I've seen, so it isn't a big deal. Nevertheless, you might want to read those old topics, see if you can add anything to the idea. Then update your post with ideas that you like or you think could be made better.

Improvements to lighting are probably needed for a "fog of war" system to work properly.

planned

Since this is your first thread I recommend that you read this, look at this, look over this, and listen to these

You don't need to memorize them by heart but it's good to skim over them and look back on them to make sure you're not suggesting something that's already planned.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

HartLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:48:20 am »

After half an hour of scrolling, I saw only the Lighting stuff IT 000 mentioned, those were some walls of text!

Crap, those walls drove me brain dead.
I keep typing then deleting random sentences... Arrrgggh!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 01:57:15 pm »

He torture all newcomers who dare to post like this. ;D

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

HartLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 07:14:59 pm »

After I posted about being brain dead I went and slaughtered guards on Assassin's Creed, I was soon de-brain deaded.

Mindless slaughter and destruction always relieves tension, but as Dwarf Fortress players we all already knew that.

Edit: I registered in June but I've been actively lurking since Nov-Dec 2010.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:17:42 pm by HartLord »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 10:21:13 pm »

I think this should be implemented, in a way similar to adventure mode. If you or a dwarf wanders about 40 or 50 tiles from an object, it should be grayed out and be unseen until another dwarf returns to that spot.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:26:42 am »

I can see how calculating LOS for 200+animals fort would be very, VERY expensive.

But if it is possible, It sounds like a fun thing. You would actually have to set patrols and whatnot to detect foes!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 04:43:13 pm »

What if tiles wich are more used,the main hallway for example, became permanent visible?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 07:16:33 am »

Definitely seems worthwhile to me, but maybe after we get some optimization so it won't impact FPS so much.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 08:39:29 am »

Definitely seems worthwhile to me, but maybe after we get some optimization so it won't impact FPS so much.

Agree,when I breach the blue starway to heaven  me ,my dorfs and my cpu both are weting their pigtail pants.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 09:32:29 pm »

After I posted about being brain dead I went and slaughtered guards on Assassin's Creed, I was soon de-brain deaded.

Mindless slaughter and destruction always relieves tension, but as Dwarf Fortress players we all already knew that.

Edit: I registered in June but I've been actively lurking since Nov-Dec 2010.

Wrong topic buddy.

What you can see should be based on what your dwarves can see. It should be sorta like adventure mode.
I'm not saying that adventure mode is perfect, because it isn't, as trees aren't as opaque as walls are, but they are in AM, but the idea is sound.

I do not support having a radius based system though, since that's stupid.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

HartLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 10:43:50 am »

Wrong topic buddy.

I do not support having a radius based system though, since that's stupid.
That's why I said no more.

What do you mean by "radius based"? Since I'm pretty sure the adventure mode system is based on radii.
Pages: [1] 2