Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Games with space walking?  (Read 5571 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with space walking?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 06:18:50 am »

When I tried that a week ago or so there wasn't any mining as far as I could tell (I certainly didn't have any tools and couldn't make any), and there was only the shipyard with no ability to save anything, which just consisted of building things from blocks and some kind of screwed up piloting of masses of blocks that didn't look like ships, if you were standing on the outside of them because you couldn't see anything from inside, and nothing else.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 06:54:27 am »

There is a paid version IIRC, though I'm not too sure about the progress of that version. Never played it myself, but I'm sure the lack of visibility plays in part of strategically placing the bridge. I found a thread about ship designs and evidently some people have been able to arm their ships have weapons. Whether this is just lore and story without functionality I can't be arsed to verify.

Here it is! http://www.zanmgt.com/forums/blockade-runner/blockaderunner-general/show-me-your-ships/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:58:05 am by Flare »

Zerebo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 07:39:55 am »

Have been reading this forum for a while and decided to register to answer a few questions.
Space walking will also be a part of Blockade Runner but atm there is no humanoid movement system.
When I tried that a week ago or so there wasn't any mining as far as I could tell (I certainly didn't have any tools and couldn't make any)[...]
The game is in an very early stage of development. Last free update was after  12 weeks of development.
So there are many features missing. Atm you can just build and fly.
[...]and there was only the shipyard with no ability to save anything[...]
Saving works just in windowed mod. This will change in future.
[...]
which just consisted of building things from blocks and some kind of screwed up piloting of masses of blocks that didn't look like ships, if you were standing on the outside of them because you couldn't see anything from inside, and nothing else.
You have to stand on the right hight to look outside in some ships. Also the thruster system is just a rough concept. It will get much better in future. Atm you need perfectly balanced ships to fly straight.

There is a paid version IIRC, though I'm not too sure about the progress of that version. Never played it myself, but I'm sure the lack of visibility plays in part of strategically placing the bridge. I found a thread about ship designs and evidently some people have been able to arm their ships have weapons. Whether this is just lore and story without functionality I can't be arsed to verify.

Here it is! http://www.zanmgt.com/forums/blockade-runner/blockaderunner-general/show-me-your-ships/

The only systems working atm are the thrusters and helm pads (to fly the ship).
The weapons and everything else is just faked out of blocks. But this will probably change with the next update.
(Paid version is one month ahead and got a few features extra)

For more infos about updates and the game itself visit this thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83270.0
Viken is giving many infos there.
Or visit the official site:
http://www.blockaderunnergame.com/Projects/BlockadeRunner.aspx

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 02:38:06 pm »

Shattered Horizons maybe, never played the thing.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 03:13:46 pm »

There's a spacewalk in the first Mass Effect but its' physics puzzles me.  They are riding in an elevator going parallel to the axis of rotation for the space station and there is artificial gravity in the elevator which pulls them  in the direction they are coming from.  This artificial gravity was there even before the elevator started.  Then the elevator breaks down so they get out and space walk the rest of the way with magnetic shoes.  But there is no artificial gravity along their walk, which is in the same direction as the station.  So either the entire metropolis sized space station has an artificial gravity source beyond centrifugal motion or the developers really didn't think through their frames or reference.

Maybe there's some kind of... effect that affects mass?

Perhaps, perhaps, but that would need to be a pretty massive mass effect to effect all the mass for such a massive mass being affected.
My brain...

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 06:35:23 pm »

There's actually a game dedicated to Space Walking on the ISS. It's somewhere on the Nasa website. I know this because I've downloaded the game, and it's on my hard drive.
But... for the life of me I can't find it on the website.
Trouble is, I think it's just called "Station Space Walk Game" too. But hey, maybe someone will find it!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 02:02:20 pm »

There's a spacewalk in the first Mass Effect but its' physics puzzles me.  They are riding in an elevator going parallel to the axis of rotation for the space station and there is artificial gravity in the elevator which pulls them  in the direction they are coming from.  This artificial gravity was there even before the elevator started.  Then the elevator breaks down so they get out and space walk the rest of the way with magnetic shoes.  But there is no artificial gravity along their walk, which is in the same direction as the station.  So either the entire metropolis sized space station has an artificial gravity source beyond centrifugal motion or the developers really didn't think through their frames or reference.

Perhaps, perhaps, but that would need to be a pretty massive mass effect to effect all the mass for such a massive mass being affected.

Yes, but if the mass effect was massive enough to affect the mass, and the effect would affect the mass massively, shouldn't the effect that affects the mass be effective enough for the mass to be affected?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 02:07:17 pm »

Yes, but if the mass effect was massive enough to affect the mass, and the effect would affect the mass massively, shouldn't the effect that affects the mass be effective enough for the mass to be affected?

It's no longer funny, you ruined it.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »

No, you just need to shake off your gravity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 02:38:15 pm »

No, he's right. It wasn't funny any more.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »

My brain hurts.

Shattered Horizons maybe, never played the thing.
I think i tried out that game before, but it lagged the hell out of my computer.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 02:57:48 pm »

so.. any other games? GMAES
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 03:51:07 pm »

Was jerkass day today? I may have missed it on my calendar.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 05:15:51 pm »

There's actually a game dedicated to Space Walking on the ISS.

here:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/3d_resources/station_spacewalk_game.html

funny eough, it came up when I was searching for "space station game" because I actually wanted to recommend this other one:
http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/details.php%3FID%3D2002

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 05:18:28 pm »

Was jerkass day today? I may have missed it on my calendar.
Informing you that your joke wasn't funny makes me a jerkass? I apologize if you were offended.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4