Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a simple suggestion for indicating unintelligent people in adventure mode  (Read 1426 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile

Yes, I know that its planned to have a speech overhaul but this is different. You know how in adventure mode you often meet bandits who have lived in the forest for all their lives or how you can meet kobolds who just jabber around.

I suggest that there should be people who are verbally "uneducated" or people who have learned the "global language" but not good enough that you'd not notice. We already have the abbility to have enemies that talk with a long ssssss every time so thats as close to verbal diversity as we can get. So people who are dumb or people like cobolds who have learned to talk would talk like this "you be fear us!" or something. It could simply be implemented by making their speech files get a little messed up- Sometimes using past tense words and vice verse, and sometimes putting declaration words in the middle of phrases.

I checked the dev and this hasn't been mentioned. It would be a nice touch.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes! Maybe people who would need translators to talk to you. Like talking to an elf druid or something like that...
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes! Maybe people who would need translators to talk to you. Like talking to an elf druid or something like that...
Thats a good idea but its not what... Oh I get what you mean! I thought you were talking about adventurers having translators follow them. ok, i get it. Though I think elves know how to talk. Yeah, that too.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile

congratulations antymattar,your first useful post!(or not)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

congratulations antymattar,your first useful post!(or not)
Dude, gat a kitten. I have 3.  :P

Anyway, I have had other useful posts before. Dont rant. As you said, we dont want trolls.

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile

It's an ok idea, but it wouldn't apply to kobolds, as they have [UTTERANCES], which makes them unable to speak.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's an ok idea, but it wouldn't apply to kobolds, as they have [UTTERANCES], which makes them unable to speak.
I know. We just need a race that cant speak directly, but could learn.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

See what happens when you do your research! Great ideas Antymatter!  :D

Well they actually can speak, their language is just a mish-mash of other random languages. I would say that you should be able to learn the language, but you would only learn it for that civilization, not every kobold civ. If they tried to talk to you they could at least shout something in their own language.

By default, most sentient creatures shouldn't be able to communicate with foreign races. However some should (during world gen) 'become educated in the ______ language', and thus they could speak it. Diplomats/merchants by default should always learn every language.

Overall I believe this could have an interesting natural effect on the world. Out of the four major races, Elves (and ironically goblins) would far more likely to learn other languages because they live forever and have the best memory. Dwarves are likely to learn one, maybe two since they live a relatively long time. Humans will probably only learn one.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont know. I think it would depend more on how wealthy/high in a social position the people have or what they have experienced by necessity or by accident(Do they move somewhere, or were they kidnapped as a child or something) that they would learn an extra language. I am 15(I had a birthday recently on the 5'th for those who didnt know) and I already know 2 languages perfectly and a third almost.

My native language is Latvian, and its as far from English as kobold is from elf... Even farther. Here's an example "Es domāju ka koboldiem vajadzētu iemācīties runāt citās valodās jo iespējams viņiem tas ir vajadzīgs lai sevi aizstāvētu". I just said that I think kobolds need to learn how to speak other languages so that they can defend themselves. I think it would be more of a pass down of information. Kind of how secrets will work. Maybe. Maybe some of you may recall my "kobold society" suggestion.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well  there is the "linguistic ability" attribute... would need to have additional dialouges for "low ability" situations. (and possibly with other civs, until you gain some skill in their language. [although, forigen races speaking other languages might need to wait until "NPCs associate distinctive items with individuals" gets implemented.])
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Zurvan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

While on the subject of bilingualism, a third factor should be considered in addition to ability and social position. (Though I disagree that the wealthy aristocrats are necessarily the most educated in this regard---it is curious to note that during the Renaissance, the first Greek-language books were printed in Venice rather than Florence, which was host to a more sizable humanist circle and a large contingent of Byzantine intellectuals. The Venetians boasted a large seafaring and mercantile class with an extensive history in Greece and mastery of the demotic language. Or consider the Jewish domination of early medieval trans-Eurasian trade (the Radhanites); although marginalized in both Christendom and the Ummah, Jews were able to act with a degree of privileged neutrality, while western Christian and Muslim subjects were routinely prohibited entry to the domain of the other. Benjamin of Tudela is a particularly notable case of a polyglot medieval Jewish peregrine.)

This third factor is site trade relations. It is only sensible that with the movement of goods between places, there is a movement of people, language, and ideas. The more extensive and long-lasting trade relations are, the greater should be the probability that merchants and the society at large acquire facility in the language of the neighbor. Historically, such contact situations have had great effect even beyond bilingualism, sometimes dramatically restructuring the original languages. For example, Russian lost the verb meaning "to have" as an expression of possession long ago,  but such a verb was introduced into Odessan Russian, which used to be spoken as a vernacular dialect in the great port city on the Black Sea, under influence from Yiddish, Romance, Turkic, etc. It's still spoken by a few elderly Jews.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:47:45 am by Zurvan »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, I knew about the Jews but the Russian part was interesting(I am part German, part Jew, part Russian and Part Latvian with a bit of other races smudged on top.)

Yea, this would be right, but I dont think it would be cool if EVERYBODY knew how to talk to kobolds or if goblins knew how to talk with elves in the elven tongue.

Also, this would mean that your trade liason would need to know multiple other languages. YAY!