Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves getting injured while dumping stones?  (Read 1740 times)

HunterCyprus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves getting injured while dumping stones?
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:13:14 am »

I have been doing some mass stone moving in a safe zone.  I know the dwarves are not getting attacked, yet I recently lost one to injuries he sustained while dumping items.  Is this a bug or a new way for dwarves to get injured?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves getting injured while dumping stones?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 03:31:39 am »

Neither, I bet.

Tell me about the injuries.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

HunterCyprus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 03:09:31 am »

One of my dwarves broke both of his hands and got a cut on his legs.  One other just had the damage to his hands.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 03:14:07 am »

the rocks are heavy.

duh.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 03:33:01 am »

Sounds crazy.  None of my initial theories work with those injuries.  Never heard of anything like it.  My own stone dumpers are doing fine.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 03:36:31 am »

Are you sure they did not get attacked?
Perhaps by tantruming dwarf or an aggressive pastured animal?
Check the combat reports.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 04:21:34 am »

Have you recently killed a Forgotten Beast?
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

HunterCyprus93

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 12:16:15 pm »

So, I figured it out!!  I was not aware of the combat reports until it was asked in here.  I was able to bring up the report for one of the victims (he had ended up dying!).  It had nothing to do with moving stones, it had to do with them restocking the food/drink supply for my military outpost at the top cavern level.

I now know not to put the food/drink storage on the same level as the barracks where my military dwarves are training!  The victim got involved in a fighting demonstration and tried to fight one of the dwarves engaged in it.  He ended up with a battle axe in his skull...  Before this, he had his hands broken in the scuffle.

Thanks all!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:39:08 pm »

Hmm, that doesn't sound like anything that I've ever seen happen either.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »

He was just offering a drink to the sparring dwarves...poor guy.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

HunterCyprus93

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 03:14:15 pm »

So this isn't normal either??  They aren't throwing tantrums and no one is berserk.  I didn't have any wild animals in my fortress causing issues.  It couldn't be proximity to the caverns, correct?

I have not fought any FBs yet, as I tend to leave invasions off for the first few years.  I'm a bit slow in getting a metal industry, and subsequently, a military, going.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 03:19:58 pm »

No, without a tantrum, berserk dwarf, or justice, nobody should be getting a battle axe in the head.  Well, excepting goblins.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 03:40:37 pm »

Do you have any entries under Justice in the {z} status menu?  Seemingly inexplicable beatings in the name of justice can happen when, for example, an export ban is mandated after you've traded, but before the caravan has left the map.  If you don't have any justice chains or cages, and you've equipped your captain of the guard with a decent weapon, an "offender" can get seriously smudged.  Dwarves aren't totally against ex post facto laws.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:54:04 pm by i874236951 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 03:55:56 pm »

I've observed small cases on infighting, particularly when two dwarves really hate each other (enemies on the relationship screen) and are forced to spend time together.  I saw it move from a scuffle to a brawl and then a nearby hunter shot one of the combatants.  Did not appear to be a loyalty cascade.

Screenshots of the combat logs?

HunterCyprus93

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 02:33:33 pm »

I would provide screenshots of the logs, but in my frustration, I deleted the fort.  I have started a new fort, however, and reached 200+ dwarves.  So far there have been no unexplained injuries.  If it does happen again, I will be sure to provide logs!
Pages: [1] 2