Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Fortress is your friend!  (Read 1692 times)

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Fortress is your friend!
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:54:41 pm »

So, now that I've been looking at deeper materials on the map, I've noticed it's entirely possible to color code areas of the fortress. With the new burrows system you could assign people to various sections depending on their clearance level.

In essence you could play Paranoia with your dwarves, giving them clearance levels, odd tasks that no one understands and hillarious painful deaths for no discernible reason.

The problem I am having with this task, is color clearance levels. The standard Infra-red, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, and Ultra-violet/High Programmer classifications doesn't really work. For one, that doesn't accurately explain ow dwarves feel about those colors. For one, tower caps are everywhere and are white, while blue metal is well, blue metal.

Could I get some ideas on possible color rankings?

And yes, military will only get weapons they have clearence for, so expect a bunch of the infra-reds to die horribly.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress is your friend!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:06:20 pm »

I'm afraid I don't have clearance to read your post about building a Dwarf Complex and therefore I as loyal citizen have of course not read your ideas, which I like to add are very good. Could you rewrite this post please?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:15:59 pm »

Good day friend citizen, your loyalty has been noted. You have been promoted to chief fertilizer tank scrubber! Please move all of your things to the next fertilizer tank sector.

Also, please suggest to friend Overseer what would be an effective color scale for Alpha Fortress. You will receive 12 greenglasscred for success.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 01:07:32 am »

Man, I've read some of the book, but never really played it. It seems as it is painfully fun

HAVE TO PLAY

is it hard to DM?

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:10:58 am »

Silly Theory, your lack of conformance has been noted. Please wait patiently for the anti-mutant squad to arrive at your door. 
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 02:06:51 am »

[color=
Good day friend citizen, your loyalty has been noted. You have been promoted to chief fertilizer tank scrubber! Please move all of your things to the next fertilizer tank sector.

Also, please suggest to friend Overseer what would be an effective color scale for Alpha Fortress. You will receive 12 greenglasscred for success.

Yay, I've been promoted! Thanks, FC!

Silly Theo-R-YYY, writing in Ultraviolet without possesing Ultraviolet clearance is treasonous. *ZAP*Basically its easy to play and to DM, as there are no rules. At your clearance. Knowledge of rules is treasonous.

And there is a thing called JParanoia, so we could play online. Maybe a DF-themed game? Computer Phreaks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:15:07 am by Number4 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 04:57:17 am »

Silly infareds, bleeding red. You don't have clearance to do that.

Paranoia, Dwarven Style:

"Hello, Freind Urist, Im thinking what I want to do, can you guess?"

"I don't know, drinking booze?"

"AHHH YOU READ MY MIND MUTANT DIE!"

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 08:27:21 am »

So, now that I've been looking at deeper materials on the map, I've noticed it's entirely possible to color code areas of the fortress. With the new burrows system you could assign people to various sections depending on their clearance level.

In essence you could play Paranoia with your dwarves, giving them clearance levels, odd tasks that no one understands and hillarious painful deaths for no discernible reason.

The problem I am having with this task, is color clearance levels. The standard Infra-red, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, and Ultra-violet/High Programmer classifications doesn't really work. For one, that doesn't accurately explain ow dwarves feel about those colors. For one, tower caps are everywhere and are white, while blue metal is well, blue metal.

Could I get some ideas on possible color rankings?

And yes, military will only get weapons they have clearence for, so expect a bunch of the infra-reds to die horribly.

You know, I had never heard of Paranoia before this.  THANK YOU.  This game looks hilariously awesome in so many levels.  Gotta get my D&D group to try it out... we're already nuts as it is.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:44:01 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 09:19:19 am »

Well, the orginal colors could still work. Tower-caps are white? Tough luck for treasonous U-R-IST McCarpenter. Barrels will make drinking proper B3 difficult or treasonous,but there's still RED bloodthorn...

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 11:38:55 pm »

That is why you don't use towercaps, duur.

Red - Bloodthorn, Cinnabar, Bauxite, Kaolinite

Orange - Substitute Brown-Colored Wood, as it's the closest thing we got

Yellow - Orthoclaise is Best

Green - Olivine

Blue - Microcline or Cobaltite

Indigo - Kimberlite (Dark Blue, close enough), Rutile, Pitchblende (latter two are rare)

Ultra-Violet - Any White or Light Gray stone

Now, we could go further and include metals in this as well, but thats optional.  To be able to do this, you'd need a very frequent mineral rate upon world creation.  As for setting it all up, you might need to have non-color coded areas at first.  The Fortress was not always here, as we all know.  Before that, there was the lawless, Fortressless age of violence and unreason.  But now, you needn't worry. The Fortress is here.  The Fortress knows all.  The Fortress is your friend.  Trust in your Friend.  FUN is Mandatory.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:47:15 pm by Crustypeanut »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 11:42:57 pm »

Could I get some context, please?

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 11:50:58 pm »

Could I get some context, please?

If, by you mean, context of the game, heres the wikipedia page on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(role-playing_game)

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 11:54:43 pm »

Your clearance level is just high enough to read that article. You should thank Friend Overseer for providing such helpful information about Friend Computer.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 12:05:15 am »

Oh, and if you only had BLUE clearance, you could read that excellent TvTropes-article about PARANOIA...
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Paranoia

The connection between this and DF: In paranoia, dying is Fun. Oh, and being happy about dying is mandatory. Failure to be happy about dying is punishable by execution.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 12:09:09 am »

I can't die, though. I don't know the rules for dying. And I don't know why I don't know about the rules for dying. For that matter, all I know how to do is open doors, eat food, and press a single button.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.
Pages: [1] 2