Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: EA games has trademarked Aplha Centauri  (Read 6983 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: EA games has trademarked Aplha Centauri
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2011, 10:59:27 pm »

I believe Good Old Games rereleased it this year.

In fact, that may be the one and only reason EA renewed the trademark: So they could claim revenue from GOG.

Perhaps everything else is just concern about nothing.

Or perhaps we're soon going to see Alpha Centari: The Facebook Game.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2011, 11:28:20 pm »

Alpha Centari: The Facebook Game.
Noes! :'(
But then again, they've already made Civ: Facebook version...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:37 am »

Well I don't blame Peter for Black and White 2 (it was a production nightmare) other then him pretending it turned out well.

Fable 3 is all him though.

Peter Molyneux is the most dangerous kind of developer, a developer who is so completely delusional that you can almost be assured that any time he opens his mouth it's only to deliver another piece of outrageous misinformation... He actually claimed you could "DO ANYTHING" in Fable II. I mean sure... You can do anything in that game... As long as your definition of "ANYTHING" is restricted to communicating with wooden NPC's via flatulence and pretty much nothing else of note that hasn't been done by a thousand other RPGs throughout the last two decades of gaming.

Most gamers these days are tired of traipsing through the same old linear corridors and having the obtrusive hand of the developer pushing the message "HEY LOOK AT THIS... LOOK WHAT I DID HERE!!! HOW COOL IS THIS?" down players throats. Make me a game where I can influence the world in some non-superficial ways and I won't NEED you to point out how cool it is. Just look at some of the most successful games right now; The Sims, Minecraft, Terraria and others...

People like being able to be a part of the world of the game and making it their own and yet there are still so many greedy and short-sighted developers out there that insist on forcing their and only their vision down peoples throats or think that letting you change the colour of the main characters hair is so super-innovative...

Peter Molyneux and other developers like him are dinosaurs... And soon they'll be replaced by people who don't treat gamers like idiots that need a one-button win and are capable of having meaningful input.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:20:31 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2011, 11:35:29 am »

Except that more and more people are loving the "one button win" type shit. Really says something about the intelligence of the average "Gamer" nowadays.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:46 pm »

The only thing that's really bad about this is that now we know for certain that a good developer won't make the sequel.

And whatever quality... thing... EA produces, it will be crippled with DRM.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2011, 12:32:31 pm »

Stop! You've violated the law! Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence! You used the word 'quality' and 'EA' in the same sentence!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2011, 12:34:23 pm »

Stop! You've violated the law! Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence! You used the word 'quality' and 'EA' in the same sentence!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2011, 12:35:43 pm »

Halt!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »

Emergency temporal shift!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2011, 01:11:23 pm »

>Resist Arrest
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2011, 01:55:48 pm »

He said Jehovah! *gets pelted with stones*

If EA is going to succumb to dredging up their old libraries in an attempt to turn old IPs into new franchises, then they need to go WAY back into their vaults and get stuff from the mid-80's when EA was the shit. Really, if you look at some of their biggest hits then, there were design elements that would be lapped up by the gaming community today.

Mail Order Monsters is a game that has been screaming for a remake for decades now. It was like the unholy love-child of Pokemon and a multiplayer arena-combat type game decades ahead of its time. Hell, I don't care if they made it an FPS or a top-down RTS. Either way would rock.

Racing Destruction Set: Multiplayer racing game with multiple configurable vehicles, variable track conditions (even physics), combat (in the form of oil slicks and land mines), and the ability to implement user-created content in the form of player-built tracks. Imagine that with a modern 3D facelift and the ability to share tracks (and possibly vehicles) across a global playerbase.

Starflight: A game like that basically hasn't been done since Star Control 2. There's a whole generation coming up that has never really seen the space-exploration-RPG genre.

Wing Commander: The space-combat sim genre is virtually dead on the PC. It needs some new blood. Hell, get joystick makers like Saitek to chip in a bit--I'm sure their sales have been hurt by the lack of flight and space-combat sims. You've already got an established universe to work in, and name recognition that would allow you to recoup the cost of putting in some serious production values.

Earth Orbit Stations: Hmm...a management sim about commercial space programs? Where players have cutthroat competition for limited resources? Topical and potentially awesome multiplayer strategy game that doesn't involve actual fighting.

Wasteland: Yeah, I know...it's called Fallout. But an honest-to-god remake of Wasteland, or something set in the same setting? I could even see Wasteland done as a multiplayer co-op FPS/RPG with an expansive world, like Borderlands. 

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2011, 07:49:05 pm »

If EA is going to succumb to dredging up their old libraries in an attempt to turn old IPs into new franchises, then they need to go WAY back into their vaults and get stuff from the mid-80's when EA was the shit. Really, if you look at some of their biggest hits then, there were design elements that would be lapped up by the gaming community today.

Mail Order Monsters is a game that has been screaming for a remake for decades now. It was like the unholy love-child of Pokemon and a multiplayer arena-combat type game decades ahead of its time. Hell, I don't care if they made it an FPS or a top-down RTS. Either way would rock.

That does sound awesome. Is there anyway to get it?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2011, 08:36:09 pm »

I'd rather see a few bad games made with the Alpha Centauri name than have the IP dead forever.  Whats the worst they can do? Turn it into a FPS/RTS/Dating sim?  Make a space-survival-horror prequel detailing the events on the spaceship prior to planetfall?  Well, its hard for me to think of ideas that aren't awesome so I might not be helping, but even a crappy game is better than a dead IP, it leaves the door open for the future, and there is always the far outside chance that they'll realize they need to make a better game to compete with other strategy games in the market.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2011, 08:38:54 pm »

I'd rather see a few bad games made with the Alpha Centauri name than have the IP dead forever.  Whats the worst they can do? Turn it into a FPS/RTS/Dating sim?  Make a space-survival-horror prequel detailing the events on the spaceship prior to planetfall?  Well, its hard for me to think of ideas that aren't awesome so I might not be helping, but even a crappy game is better than a dead IP, it leaves the door open for the future, and there is always the far outside chance that they'll realize they need to make a better game to compete with other strategy games in the market.

:-\

Whats the worst they can do? Turn it into a FPS/RTS/Dating sim?

???

Dating sim

:o

Alpha Centauri as a Dating sim!?!

D:

edit: Who would make it? Some crazy Japanese H-Game producer?

D:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:42:52 pm by Ultimuh »

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2011, 08:44:34 pm »

no no, a RTS/FPS/Dating Sim, sort of like a science fiction version of Shogun, except that the main goal is to get into Deidre's pants while conquering/assassinating the competition. (Ya know, instead of becoming the Shogun)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7