Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edges of murky pools and surface water  (Read 1074 times)

Overseer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Edges of murky pools and surface water
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:07:12 pm »

I did a search, but didn't see any other people with this suggestion, though there probably are.

The murky pools and some or most streams and rivers should have sloped edges. It's really unrealistic for the "pools" of rainwater to form such cliff-like edges. I don't think rain causes craters in the earth where it falls. Even if there were Dwarf-sized or building sized hailstones. (Hey wait- does dwarf fortress have hail? That would be cool.) Anyway, it really messes up thirsty creatures. I know you can dig the edges down, but it's quite unrealistic, except for just a few streams. Though, having a few Grand Canyons wouldn't be half bad either.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Edges of murky pools and surface water
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:11:10 pm »

This is a good point. (Especially given how difficult it is to even build such cliff-like edges in the game by design)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 06:20:59 am »

yeah,rivers in dwarf fortress cut trought anything,it's like if they were made of acid not water.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:00:59 am »

I for one welcome the dismissal of so many needless drownings. Figure that, a less morbid DF.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:05:02 am »

we still need oceans that doesn't freeze during the night.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:50 pm »

yeah,rivers in dwarf fortress cut trought anything,it's like if they were made of acid not water.

Except when they create their own floating aquaducts.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 02:50:48 pm »

A will be suggested few times more in future because every so often, dwarf will dodge to pool and die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:09:58 am »

A will be suggested few times more in future because every so often, dwarf will dodge to pool and die.

It should be borne in mind, however, that this isn't entirely unrealistic (although it does happen entirely too often in-game)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις