Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Other versions of fortress mode  (Read 1281 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Other versions of fortress mode
« on: August 12, 2011, 01:40:24 pm »

Right now there was quite some talk about elven fortresses and how they would work. I dont want to suggest how other types of fortress mode should work(because that is for other topics and the arguing is unbearable) but I would like to suggest the idea that every race in fortress mode should have a different goal or special way of play.

For instance, right now, the dwarves need to gather wealth and defend their outpost until... well there is not real end to that. But the wealth part is quite clear. They do this by crafting and making stuff etc.

I think it would be nice if other modes of play had different goals for the player. for instance, cobold mode would still have you acquire wealth, but by stealing rather than crafting, and perhaps it would also have a goal of defending yourself against adventurers(Have you played toady's other game called cobold cave?)

Goblin fortress would perhaps have a goal of capturing enough slaves and trading them for goods as a sort of currency.
Human fortress(towns) would perhaps have many possible goals such as forming a safe place for traders to stay etc.
There could be a mode called nomad mode where the player would have no migrants real, but rather, would have to take care for one fammily of people.

What do you think about having multiple fortress modes?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Other versions of fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:46:41 pm »

Right now there was quite some talk about elven fortresses and how they would work. I dont want to suggest how other types of fortress mode should work(because that is for other topics and the arguing is unbearable) but I would like to suggest the idea that every race in fortress mode should have a different goal or special way of play.

For instance, right now, the dwarves need to gather wealth and defend their outpost until... well there is not real end to that. But the wealth part is quite clear. They do this by crafting and making stuff etc.

I think it would be nice if other modes of play had different goals for the player. for instance, cobold mode would still have you acquire wealth, but by stealing rather than crafting, and perhaps it would also have a goal of defending yourself against adventurers(Have you played toady's other game called cobold cave?)

Goblin fortress would perhaps have a goal of capturing enough slaves and trading them for goods as a sort of currency.
Human fortress(towns) would perhaps have many possible goals such as forming a safe place for traders to stay etc.
There could be a mode called nomad mode where the player would have no migrants real, but rather, would have to take care for one fammily of people.

What do you think about having multiple fortress modes?
change the first tag under any civilization into [CIV_CONTROLABLE]
enjoy
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 01:52:48 pm »

All of it is in the devlogs. All of it.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:54:12 pm »

i don't think any fortress or settlement should have a goal. Dwarf fortresses make excellent examples here, they don't have goals they just live until they die.
Why should other races be different?
It's you who makes goals not some predefined setting or quest master or some higher mind.

When politics and war and economy and supplies and resources are implemented you'll be able to have some specific goals in mind when playing, like
"Well i like this goblin civ the Seducer of incest and i'll build this goblin fortress to supply them with iron and quality armour" or
"Or poor hippies of the Forest of Flowering! i'll build a huge retreat for them to produce enough cannon fodder to fight the dwarf menace with superior numbers", but i'm opposed to having any predefined goals forced upon me.
You just do what you want and your fortress lives until it dies.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 02:02:17 pm »

Oh look, another thread made by Antymattar that has already been discussed somewhere already, which could be discovered by using the search function or reading the devlogs....
This is a blank sig.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:33:44 pm »

Dear Mr. Antymatter

Read this, look at this, look over this, listen to these, and finally, use this.

Please, all these planned suggestions are starting to clog up the boards.

~IT 000
This message will be repeated as necessary

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:36:07 pm »

Then delete every post after page 50. sheesh.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 03:15:05 pm »

Then delete every post after page 50. sheesh.

...one of these days, somebody will kick you in the teeth. Probably.

Not us. We're too nice.

But somebody, definitely.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 05:12:31 pm »

Antymattr you've confirmed in other threads that you know people should search and actually read before posting, and there's been at least one time where you got mad when someone actually posted a thread that was a repeat of one of yours.  You really have no reason to be surprised people are tired of your suggestion threads (probably over 50 so far, maybe more) when they're almost all redundant, and you're going out of your way not to respect the community you're trying to impress.

For real, actually sit down and read the dev single like people have been telling you to do for over a year.  And then next time you have an idea, check it against the dev single, and then search for it on the forums.  You can't really expect to tread new ground or have useful, original ideas when you don't know what the game's plans actually are, or what people have already discussed.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 01:57:32 am »

Fine.

Though the idea here wasn't to say "human fortress has this and elf fortress has..." but rather "The very meaning of fortress mode is completely rewritten for every playable race."

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 06:31:26 am »

Dear antymattar,read the devlog or try just to be polite this isn't one of those trashy forums full of trolls,or somebody will kick you in the teeth as Mister Always sad.

This forum is our refuge from the normal society,so please stop clogging our boards with things already listed on the dev log.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 07:32:40 am »

Dear antymattar,read the devlog or try just to be polite this isn't one of those trashy forums full of trolls,or somebody will kick you in the teeth as Mister Always sad.

This forum is our refuge from the normal society,so please stop clogging our boards with things already listed on the dev log.
um... Read what I just said above you.  ???