Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oddity in Pathing due to Traffic & Building a Floor  (Read 781 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oddity in Pathing due to Traffic & Building a Floor
« on: November 25, 2007, 10:16:00 am »

I have a video of this, but as I was screwing around trying to firgure out how to breach an aquifier with only a lake and a pool of magma (and thankfully 2 underground z-levels to work with) I did not make a save game.  If it happens in the next attempt, I will endevor to make one.

Anyway, what was happening was that my dwarves were being scared away from the stairs into my to-be-obsidian pit by the fire imps, so I dug another route, underground from the wagon to the chamber.  Marked it as High Traffic and the area outside near the old entrance as Restricted.  This stopped everyone from going the wrong way.

Except the fool who had to install the grate.  The previous fool was walking the wrong way down the High Traffic hallway carrying the grate with the Construct Building job (god knows why) and almost to the end he drops it and goes and gets a drink.  My jewler (as I was doing an Embark Now) decides he'll do it.  Proceeds (video start) to walk all the way around the restricted area to go down the old stairs, past the construction site, back up the hallway to a spot within about 20 tiles of his original location, pick up the grate, then wander back to the site.

Because they were taking the long route each time (I think, I wasn't micromanaging their lives that much) all the water evaporated in the blistering hot Springtime so I was only moderately able to see if my plan would work.

Link to vid