Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The Hill Dwarf Challenge  (Read 10475 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill Dwarf Challenge
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 09:44:41 am »

In trading with other civs, are we limited in our exports, or do we have carte blanche?

And, as for our exports, do they have to be raw materials, or can we produce end-product?
ie. smelted metals only or can we manufacture and sell weapons, trap components, high-end crafts, etc.

Finally, are there any limits on imports?

As for the invasions off issue, will there still be child snatchers and ambushes, or are they also switched off?

Looking forward to joining this experiment.
Darkening Kaos, CIS.

No real limits on what you export, except that you should stick as much as possible to your theme. So if you're exporting clothing, you should probably export clothing or cloth to other races as well as the dwarves for the most part. However, you are welcome to make some adjustments to this. If you are doing a weapons crafting fort, for example, you're welcome to limit yourself to trading away junk weapons to the other races.

You can import anything you like. In fact, if you're really specializing, I'd expect that a fair amount of stuff would need to be imported.

Not sure about snatchers and ambushes. I haven't actually played with invasions off in a very long time so I don't remember exactly what it changes.

@Cheveux: Not sure if the Embark I'll be putting up will have sand or not. If it doesn't, and you still want to do a glass industry, you're welcome to either give yourself a challenge and import tons of sand or pick a different embark location that has sand.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:49 am »

I'll join in on this on too. It'll give me a reason to actually start using some more complex industries.

I'll be building mainly aboveground, in a series of fairly modular, decentralised buildings. I'm stuck between exporting clothes, ceramic or soap - I'll probably be doing a combination of the last two, but clothing sounds deliciously involved. This will be unmodded, of course.

If all goes well, I'll be sending in a status report for my fort by Friday.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 10:08:46 am »

As soon as we can get this communal save up, I will on the greatest textiles factory ever! We'll have clothing even Armok would be jealous of ;)
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 11:23:43 am »

@Cheveux: Not sure if the Embark I'll be putting up will have sand or not. If it doesn't, and you still want to do a glass industry, you're welcome to either give yourself a challenge and import tons of sand or pick a different embark location that has sand.

If there's no sand, I'll do ceramic and if I can't do that either I'll do beekeeping.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 11:27:10 am »

Someone roll me a theme. Will play with Defense Mod....... Though most likely Humans cause I can't be bothered to unshift the Civ Control tag...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 11:30:56 am »

Someone roll me a theme. Will play with Defense Mod....... Though most likely Humans cause I can't be bothered to unshift the Civ Control tag...

Hmm. Viking Village? Embark by a shoreline and focus on fishing and mead, with lots of well armed guys running around to keep the village safe?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 09:31:55 pm »

Ok, I have the embark!

We are near one of the few Dwarven Fortresses in this world. It seems our kin have not done well. All the more reason we need to free them up to defend us!

Our site, Villagecharm, is at the bottom of the mountains. Claystone and Phyllite hills rise up the east, a forest stretches to the northwest while plains lie to the south and west of us. A pleasant brook flows down out of the hills, plant life is abundant, and a herd of Yaks grazes nearby. Sadly, no clay or sand, though I did bring some along for basic use.

We have an array of tame animals. Four cave crabs, which we can train to hunt or guard us, breeding pairs of pigs, chickens, and alpacas. Oh, and we lucked out and got a breeding pair of Giant Beetles to pull our wagon. They'll make formidable war or hunting animals if we train them. Perfect for driving off hostile wild life, as well as any thieves or snatchers if they come around.

I also brought along a bunch of logs, some tetrahedrite, and a few chunks of cassiterite. Note that Civilization Forge uses a more realistic recipe for Bronze, so we have enough to make 15 Bronze Bars. Should be good enough to do a basic equipping of any military, or to make any picks, axes, or bolts we might need. I do recommend smelting the ores first, however, since we might get some silver from the tetrahedrite. Note that we did not bring a smith along, but I assume one will show up at some point.

You can find the download of the save here.

Personally, I think I'm going to do a Carpentry village. Harvesting lumber from both above and below grounds, though probably just in the upper caverns. The rest of the village will be focused on sustaining the population. Farming, hunting, ranching, and the like. I'm going to do a mix of above and below ground housing, using burrows to keep dwarves where I want them.
Come play Mafia with us!

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 10:10:42 pm »

Woah, I think the tileset is broken for me :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The purple beds are cave crabs, the purple 'P's are boars, the gray 'c' is a cat, the brown 'c' is a hen, the blue 'B' is a giant beetle and the rests are dwarves.

I don't know if this is normal, but just from the beds/crabs I can assume there's something wrong here.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 10:12:42 pm »

Huh. Well..I'm not using a tileset, so maybe that's the issue?

If you go over to the Civilization Forge thread (link is in my sig) you can grab a version that has a proper tileset for the mod.
Come play Mafia with us!

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 10:23:46 pm »

Much better, thanks!

EDIT : Just so I know if I need a military force, did you turn off the invasions?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:34:39 pm by Cheveux »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 11:47:46 pm »

Hmm. Viking Village? Embark by a shoreline and focus on fishing and mead, with lots of well armed guys running around to keep the village safe?
Ocean or Lake? Ocean means having to put Corkscrews into the Human's Entity text...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 12:02:06 am »

I don't know what the issue is, but I keep getting gateway timeouts when I try to download the file and the mod.

Any suggestions?

Cheerz,
Darkening Kaos, CIS
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 12:57:05 am »

Much better, thanks!

EDIT : Just so I know if I need a military force, did you turn off the invasions?

I don't think inits are in the save folder. So you'll probably need to change it yourself if you don't want invasions.

@Nevyn: Either, but I guess lake is easier since it doesn't require any modding of the humans.

@Darkening Kaos: I think the site is just having issues.
Come play Mafia with us!

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 01:37:25 am »

@Darkening Kaos: I think the site is just having issues.

Okay, I'll keep trying every now and then until something positive occurs.

Looking forward to seeing how overseers develop this site.

Cheerz,
Darkening Kaos, CIS.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 01:39:46 am »

I was going to suggest you give out the world gen info and the civilization we are part of... then I realized I don't have the mod and can't get it until the same server is back up anyway...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7