Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When is a mood not a mood? (33ab&c)  (Read 426 times)

dok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When is a mood not a mood? (33ab&c)
« on: November 25, 2007, 07:28:00 am »

A: When there's no announcement about it.

This happens to me all the time, and I do mean ALL the time.  Dwarves start to flash with status icons, refuse to work, eat, drink or sleep, and eventually die from dehydration.  There's discussion about this in the gameplay folder here before I realised this was definitely a bug.  See a sample save file here from new 33c install here.  You can see that I hadn't even finished unloading the wagon before this struck.

As I said, this happens every time I try to play DF, and as doesn't seem to have been reported before, I can only assume it's down some some conflict between the code and my machine, so I don't expect this to be a priority fix.  Still, without it I can't play at all, as I usually lose 2-3 dwarves per season from this.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When is a mood not a mood? (33ab&c)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 07:46:00 am »

Have you tried turning moods off in the init file? If it cuts them out, it would let you play the game for the moment until Toady fixes the problem. They aren't exactly necessary to have fun with the new features, after all.

Edit: After looking at the other thread, it looks like that probably won't work. I wonder what the problem is? I've not had any issues with moods here...

[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: TotalPigeon ]

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 07:48:00 am »

whoops, double post

[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: TotalPigeon ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:46:00 am »

Okay, I've downloaded the save and taken a look at the discussion thread.  I'll take a look at it when I can.  Sounds very strange.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 03:33:00 am »

It has set the tantrum/soldier mood variable to -9 on that guy, which is not a valid value and will confuse the game.  I have no idea why, but if it's happening to you all the time with a clean install and not to anybody else, it might be something unusual about your machine vs. DF like you suggested.  Is there anything unusual about your machine?

[ November 28, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 06:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Is there anything unusual about your machine?</STRONG>

Other than the fact that I'm so lazy I've never upgraded my Windows XP from SP1 to SP2, probably not.  Athlon XP2400+ processor, VIA motherboard (dunno which chipset).  Concurrent processes would include ZoneAlarm and Avast AntiVirus.