Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Best way to build an aboveground fort?  (Read 6842 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to build an aboveground fort?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 06:16:09 pm »

You do NOT need stone or wood for an above ground fort.  Clay does it all--fire clay will let you run a goblinite industry--you will need herds and bone carvers for ammunition and trade, get into beekeeping, get into eggs and cooking.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 06:19:08 pm »

In my experience, digging is 80% faster than building.
And this is with an untrained digger, and a trained carpenter.
And they both slept during most of the work. Still, it took an entire season for one tiny building, but the larger storage area was dug out in a matter of minutes.
* For aboveground farming, you can't go wrong with animal husbandry: bring breeding pairs of sheep, goats, llamas and alpacas with extras for eating in the short-term, and you will have PLENTY of meat.  Then you just need plants for booze.  (Remember to pasture properly!)

Bring egg-layers too. They're all fairly inexpensive, and the (large-ish number of) eggs can be cooked for a renewable food supply. They're probably more cost-efficient for food than larger animals, although bone carvers will probably be wanting for work.
Let the eggs hatch, then butcher the chicks!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:22:52 pm by Kaleb702 Games »
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 06:25:56 pm »

That just makes for a skullfest. No useful stuff at all.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:27:29 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »

Eh, at least you get totem poles, and they get to be kept busy instead of just sitting there, making friends, the first step of a tantrum spiral.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 10:59:37 pm »

Carnivores and birds are the best cattle animals since they don't require feeding. Birds are ridiculously simple to breed. My main 'cattle' animal in my current fort is... dogs.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 10:11:31 am »

In my experience, digging is 80% faster than building.
I'm sure you mean 4 times faster or something, but anyway, building is MUCH slower than digging since for one useable square aboveground you need to build several times, walls, floors, ceiling , it's more efficient when you build more but it's still pretty bad, also you need to dig the stone up as well....
But aboveground is generally more impressive with visualisers, but i've been meaning to try a system where i dig out an aboveground fort.Basically dig out the rooms then channel down spaces between them as the fort grows, making a aboveground city.... only below ground level, Maybe leaving a roof over the top to keep out pesky elves and shit....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 12:30:19 pm »

I know some people will disapprove of shameless cheating, but it works sometimes.

DISCLAIMER: Cheating can make the game boring. Attempt at your own risk!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 01:32:51 am »

I used a macro utility to DFhack walls in large rows, basically i would hit capslock to activate the macro, then hold an arrow key followed by a number, the macro would plop down magma then water in the direction i wanted for the desired number of spaces, unpause, run the game till it casts, then pause again.
I had another one that just painted using dfhacks obsidian spawner, but there's something funky with it, it lacks the same floors/cealings or something that real stone has.
Then i had one that painted a square of desired size, returned to the start position and jumped up a level, just hit the trigger key once per desired zlevel....... I tweaked it slightly so it would paint what i wanted while i was away doing stuff, one tower ran by itself for 20 mins while being made..... I eventually abandoned the fort because or boredom, and sicne it was somewhat cheaty i never did it again. :P
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 01:41:06 am »

Tip ONE - Take with you around 50 or more Wood (or Stone) - This will be your First wall...
Tip TWO - Bring 3 Stone - This will be your Gate switch, Three Mechanisms...
Tip THREE - Turn two of your folks into Plant Gatherers, collect around the wagon first and foremost. Woodcutters too.
Tip FOUR - Anyone that isn't Gathering plants or wood should be Building your safety wall...
Tip FIVE - Always build a basic Shelter, build a couple of beds and make sure you have at least 1/2pop/bed number...
Tip SIX - When building your Farm, channel at some open ground to give yourself some empty Soil, this will prevent Shrubs/Boulder/Pebbles from getting in the way...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 01:46:10 am »

I must really sound like a huge newb ( which I am ) but how do you make walls.  Through designations, as buildings, what? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 01:55:09 am »

Try b-C-w.

[ETA] You are quite correct, my bad! Eggs are the most efficient source of food in the beginning (once cooked), but I have a peculiar fondness for byproduct industries, and birds just don't have that much on them beyond leather and a skull.  Besides, the first time you get a moody dwarf wanting yarn, you'll be glad you brought that sheep/llama/alpaca.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:58:53 am by alesia »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 02:18:54 am »

Last I checked Eggs can also be eaten raw, plus its a great Trade source for the first year...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 02:25:54 am »

Try b-C-w.

[ETA] You are quite correct, my bad! Eggs are the most efficient source of food in the beginning (once cooked), but I have a peculiar fondness for byproduct industries, and birds just don't have that much on them beyond leather and a skull.  Besides, the first time you get a moody dwarf wanting yarn, you'll be glad you brought that sheep/llama/alpaca.

You know, I just brought along geese on a whim, because bags cost, what, 6, and meat costs 2, and a goose costs 10?  I was always in the habit of bringing dogs instead of meat for exactly that reason.  So I figure for the cost of a butcher shop, tanner, and leatherworker (ie for 3 pieces of stone), I can have like 18 food for the cost of 2, and free bones to boot.  Not sure what else there is on an animal besides meat, leather, and bones.

Never did bother slaughtering them.  Built a nest box, because, hey, let's play with this, and I got a hell of a lot more than 18 food out of them.  Good value on the meals, too.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 05:36:46 am »

A wall is good, but you can always dig out a ditch with a drawbridge.  Just remove all the ramps on the inside and with the bridge raised nothing can reach you.  Unless you're playing a mod it usually takes time for archers to show up.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 09:36:37 am »

Actually, carving your fort out of the ground is pretty cool. Channel out everything, leaving large blocks. Dig into these blocks to create buildings. It's also a lot less resource-intensive then the traditional build it from wood approach.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4