Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Best way to build an aboveground fort?  (Read 6841 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Best way to build an aboveground fort?
« on: August 12, 2011, 02:16:15 am »

Title says it all. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to build an aboveground fort?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 02:23:38 am »

coincidentally, i'm doing this right now.

Embark in a heavily forested area with two woodcutters, one miner, enable carpentry in everyone.  Build everything out of wood while the miner digs downward to find stone.  If you're forbidding yourself from digging downward, then just build everything out of wood, you piss the elves off either way and that's always a plus.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:50 am »

coincidentally, i'm doing this right now.

Embark in a heavily forested area with two woodcutters, one miner, enable carpentry in everyone.  Build everything out of wood while the miner digs downward to find stone.  If you're forbidding yourself from digging downward, then just build everything out of wood, you piss the elves off either way and that's always a plus.

What about the other stuff?  Farming, forging, how do I do any of that?  I cannot do an underground fort, cause I suck, so I figured an above ground one would be nice. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 02:26:31 am »

You'll still need to dig a farm plot underground.  Make it your basement, or something.  You'll have to dig or trade for ores, so just build your fortress above-ground and mine underground for whatever you need.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 02:27:46 am »

You'll still need to dig a farm plot underground.  Make it your basement, or something.  You'll have to dig or trade for ores, so just build your fortress above-ground and mine underground for whatever you need.

Will gathering above ground plants and hunting support a fort as long as it doesn't have too many dwarves?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:30:31 am »

aboveground is just as challenging as belowground, or moreso since you have to build everything in the open and you can make sieges more fun by NOT walling off your settlement completely.
Building is a little harder since you need huge quantities of stone and oftentimes scaffolding which when being removed leave stones dropping all over the place and sometimes random caveins :s
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:32:54 am »

Gather plants and build some aboveground plots as well. There's plenty of aboveground plants that can be eaten or brewed. Surviving on hunting ofcourse depends on what kind of animals you get.

If it's Macaques it would be a lot of effort for little meat. If it's rabbits it's little effort for no meat. If it's elephants it's a lot of effort for a hell of a lot of high value meat.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:29 am »

I cannot do an underground fort, cause I suck, so I figured an above ground one would be nice.
i dont mean to discourage you, but going aboveground is probably harder.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 02:42:22 am »

Gather plants and build some aboveground plots as well. There's plenty of aboveground plants that can be eaten or brewed. Surviving on hunting ofcourse depends on what kind of animals you get.

If it's Macaques it would be a lot of effort for little meat. If it's rabbits it's little effort for no meat. If it's elephants it's a lot of effort for a hell of a lot of high value meat.

And a lot of thankful prayers that they're not as bad as they used to be in the old version (haven't played earlier than 31.25, just read Boatmurdered and the wiki)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 02:43:59 am »

I cannot do an underground fort, cause I suck, so I figured an above ground one would be nice.
i dont mean to discourage you, but going aboveground is probably harder.

I know that.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 02:53:32 am »

Have both above and below ground farms, plant your underground farms first,  then gather up a bunch of surface plants and brew them for their seeds, even if you only find 1 type of brewable plant on arrival its still enough to prevent your dwarves from getting sick of the same alcohol

Elves don't care if your walls, floors, beds, bolts,traps,spears, pumps and furnature are all made of wood the only thing they notice is how much raw unprocessed wood you have left in stock and if wood was necessary for the creation of something you attempt to sell them.

digging a channel around your camp with its only exit being on the outside is a really good initial defence from hostile animals as well as some ambushes and invaders, it should buy you enough time to make a proper set of walls.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 03:22:04 am »

Everyone is mason. No exceptions. (except brewers and people who make food)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 03:45:20 am »

Everyone is mason. No exceptions. (except brewers and people who make food)

How is this good?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 03:57:18 am »

Or carpenter, or metalsmith, or whatever you're building out of.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 04:22:30 am »

Completely flat, aquifer, heavily forested and thick with bushes? keep & atleast one curtain wall should be your no1 priority. You'll need to defend all sides, and will need walls on all sides. Given one puny curtain wall you can't call it much of a citadel, but its a castle nonetheless. One word of advice, build up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4