Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunger and Drink strike  (Read 501 times)

DrMorbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunger and Drink strike
« on: August 01, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »

My Carpenter, who was recently lightly injured by unicorns refuses to eat and drink but continues with his tasks.  His upper body is wounded yellow, but otherwise he is fine.  I removed all his jobs and he still doesn't eat or drink so hit status is still dehydrated and hungry.  He just sits around idling.

DrMorbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunger and Drink strike
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

haha is this because his face is broken and he can't eat/drink?

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:40:00 pm »

I think toady fixed the issues with lopped off mouths. Maybe his stomach was broken or something? I dunno, never seen that happen.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 07:27:00 pm »

And there aren't any access problems?  Food around?  It's borderline possible the dwarf is in some kind of case where it thinks it deserves food/water to be brought, because of injury, but the dwarf should also be waiting to be carried off to bed in that case, and you'd also have the other dwarves helping out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

DrMorbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 07:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>And there aren't any access problems?  Food around?  It's borderline possible the dwarf is in some kind of case where it thinks it deserves food/water to be brought, because of injury, but the dwarf should also be waiting to be carried off to bed in that case, and you'd also have the other dwarves helping out.</STRONG>

Aye it was quite strange.  I had just started the fortress and I was into mid spring.  There was ample food laying around in the wagons.  I guess if he thought he deserved food and water to be brought, he was out of luck.  The other dwarves were too busy hauling stone and we had no buckets yet.  Instead he just wanted to walk around the wagons and watch the other dwarves eat and drink the alcohol we had brought.

It was kind of funny, to be honest.  Once I figured that he wasn't going to eat or drink, I sent him right back to chopping down trees along the river until he died of thirst.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »

If all your food and drinks were in wagons, maybe it was required that you have those supplied in a food stockpile before the other Dwarves decided to comply with the demands...

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure that to receive healthcare, you need at least one bed somewhere to take the wounded to. At least he wasn't stranded somewhere, so you still could use him for a little while.

[ August 02, 2007: Message edited by: Eagle of Fire ]

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »

I've also seen this bug a couple of times. In the most recent instance of it, my hammerer received a mangled arm by my tantruming armorsmith while going to carry out her sentence. Instead of going off and retiring in his bed, though, the hammerer just wandered around doing his usual tasks until he finally died of dehydration.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

You definitely need a bed before wounded dwarves will go rest. I once had a dwarf get an injury while mining (!) during the initial digging-into-mountain, and he kept right on working until the first bed was placed, at which point he ran over and collapsed on it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive