Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shift and or Caps lock keeps scrolling infinitely  (Read 894 times)

BvG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shift and or Caps lock keeps scrolling infinitely
« on: July 29, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

When designating tree chopping areas, I often need to cover huge areas. For that I wanted to use shift to speed scrolling up (after reading about it on the forum). Unfortunately, Dwarf Fortress sometimes gets stuck on shift, and scrolls without end. changing out of the designation screen does not solve it, nor does it help to tap any other key (ie. the arrow key into/against the direction of scrolling). However, randomly pressing the shift, caps lock and/or arrow keys seems to get it unstuck again. As you see, I can't really give an easy reproducible recipe.

Sometimes my Computer beeps, when I press too many keys at once, maybe I have set some BIOS or Windows setting wrongly, and that is confusing my Computer, and thus Dwarf Fortress?

Whatever the reason, currently I don't dare to use shift for fast scrolling any more, in fear of getting stuck forever.

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

sawtooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shift and or Caps lock keeps scrolling infinitely
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »

I've found the issue only to happen when using shift+numpad rather than shift+arrow keys.

So I mainly use shift-arrow keys now.

I'm also wondering if adjusting the KEY_HOLD_MS setting in the init.txt file might help fix this issue.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: Shift and or Caps lock keeps scrolling infinitely
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »

I have found out that this bug only happen when you press the numerical keyboard after you press the Shift key. If you press the Shift key after you press a key on the numerical keyboard, everything goes as intended.
I am on a hot streak... literally.