Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Medical breakthroughs  (Read 20576 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medical breakthroughs
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2017, 04:00:05 pm »

And what's the problem with being in favor of exowombs? You're apparently seeing a danger I'm not here.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2017, 04:06:30 pm »

Freeborn scum!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2017, 04:18:01 pm »

Synthwomb babies have no souls!!!!

I'll be disappointed, though glad, if this is never said seriously.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2017, 04:25:58 pm »

If we have a proccess that's safer than natural birth, wouldn't many women be for it, it would save them potentially a lot of pain, injuries, or in the worst cases potential deaths associated with giving birth.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2017, 04:28:27 pm »

Synthwomb babies have no souls!!!!

I'll be disappointed, though glad, if this is never said seriously.

I worry that this what the inevitable debate will boil down to: On the one hand, manufacturing infants in vitro allows for stricter environmental control, more extensive fetal surgery options, and easier genetic scanning all the way through to decanting, to say nothing of the trauma spared the mother.

On the other hand, people have feelings about souls and stuff.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2017, 04:39:52 pm »

Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid religious transcendence that the old priests imagined. A world of physical and mundane existence is tomorrow, a world of modifying and being modified upon, a world which will grow not less but more powerful as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress towards more evolution. The old civilizations claimed that they were founded on devotion or order. Ours is founded upon science. In our world there will be no belief except evidence, logic, and judgement. Everything else we shall destroy, everything. Already we are breaking down the habits of thought which have survived from before the Enlightenment. We have cut the links between child and priest, and between superstition and superstition, and between human and transhuman. No one dares trust an astrologer or a theologian or a guru any longer. But in the future there will be no astrologers and no gurus. Children will be taught the nature of the material universe at birth, as one teaches the darkness to know light. The spiritual instinct will be eradicated. Wonder will be a physical formality like the accomplishment of an artist. We will abolish the soul. Our neurologists are at work upon it now. There will be no spirit, except spirit towards the world. There will be no love, except the love of reason.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2017, 04:45:49 pm »

Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid religious transcendence that the old priests imagined. A world of physical and mundane existence is tomorrow, a world of modifying and being modified upon, a world which will grow not less but more powerful as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress towards more evolution. The old civilizations claimed that they were founded on devotion or order. Ours is founded upon science. In our world there will be no belief except evidence, logic, and judgement. Everything else we shall destroy, everything. Already we are breaking down the habits of thought which have survived from before the Enlightenment. We have cut the links between child and priest, and between superstition and superstition, and between human and transhuman. No one dares trust an astrologer or a theologian or a guru any longer. But in the future there will be no astrologers and no gurus. Children will be taught the nature of the material universe at birth, as one teaches the darkness to know light. The spiritual instinct will be eradicated. Wonder will be a physical formality like the accomplishment of an artist. We will abolish the soul. Our neurologists are at work upon it now. There will be no spirit, except spirit towards the world. There will be no love, except the love of reason.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine two Counter-strike players teabagging each other.... forever

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2017, 05:06:01 pm »

If you are a trueborn, Winston, then you are the last trueborn.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2017, 05:11:48 pm »

I must dissent.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2017, 05:21:50 pm »

Come to think of it, even the soul objection doesn't make much sense to me. The people who believe that both a) manufactured humans would have no soul and b) this is a problem could logically also be placated by whatever ritual adorcism is suggested by the belief system that leads them to believe in souls. Even in this, then, exowombs have an advantage, since the parents could install whatever soul they liked, if by no other means than repeated cycles of exorcism and adorcism until they determined the putative soul to meet whatever specifications they had.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2017, 05:24:40 pm »

The year is 20XX. Society is divided. Above live the Pure, whose souls were able to be implanted and cleansed due to exowombs allowing for direct contact with priests and holy substances. Below them live the unwashed masses of the Impure, the Trueborn, who must live with the fact that their impure souls shall condemn them to the Underworld.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2017, 07:16:30 pm »

Slightly on topic, this year's IgNobel prize in the category obstetrics goes to the research team of Marisa López-Teijón from Spain,
for 'proving that a developing fetus responds more strongly to music that is played inside the mother's vagina than to music played on the belly'

Searching for a way to detect auditive handicaps at an early stage, López wanted to determine if sounds played intra-vaginal were better audible to the fetus than outside sounds, and developed a 'fetal acoustic stimulation device'. And indeed, with the intra-vaginal sounds, the fetus showed more mouth and tongue movements in response to the sounds.

Some other notable IgNobel prizes of this year:

Physics: Marc Antoine Fardin, France
awarded for: using fluid dynamics to explore the question: "is a cat both a fluid and a solid?"
Using photos of cats in vases, cats in washing tubs, and cats on bathroom floors, Fardin calculates that cats exhibit more characteristics of a fluid when they relax more, using theory of flow as a mathematical foundation.

Biology: Kazunori Yoshizawa and colleagues, Japan
awarded for: discovering a female penis and a male vagina in a species of cave insect
The biologists discovered a small species of fly in caves in Brasil were the females had evolved a penis, and the males a vagina.

Anatomy: James Heathcote, UK
awarded for: his research paper titled 'why do old men have big ears?'
For the 1995 christmas edition of the UK medical magazine BMJ, he had asked his fellow doctors to start measuring the lenght of the ears of 206 patients, to find out if a man's ears really keep getting larger with age. Conclusion: yes, ears keep growing as we age, with an average of about 0.22mm per year.

Peace: Milo Puhan and colleagues, Switzerland
awarded for: 'proving that regularily playing a didgeridoo is an effective treatment for snoring and sleep apnea
One of the team members is a didgeridoo teacher, and heard an anekdote that didgeridoo players snore less. This sparked the team's interest, and systematic research has now shown that for some patients, playing a didgeridoo did indeed alleviate their complaints a bit, possibly through the training of the respiratory muscles by playing.

All winners were rewarded with a crappy home made trophy, a handshake of a real Nobel prize winner, and a 10 billion dollar bill. Zimbabwean dollar that is.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:22:47 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2017, 07:23:24 pm »

And indeed, with the intra-vaginal sounds, the fetus showed more mouth and tongue movements in response to the sounds.
Is it bad that I find this immensely interesting? Not the vagina bluetooth, but that enjoyment of music in humans is a fully biological trait, not just a cultural development. I wonder if different genres of music would influence a fetus' ultimate personality. Well, at least I know who to have conduct the experiment.
Physics: Marc Antoine Fardin, France
I mean, they do spread out a lot when they're not hunting.
Biology: Kazunori Yoshizawa and colleagues, Japan
No comment.
Anatomy: James Heathcote, UK
This, however, is terrifying. I don't want to be a giant eared old man. I wonder if I could convince a body modder to trim me down in a few decades...
Peace: Milo Puhan and colleagues, Switzerland
This one needs a methodology review, if they based how to play it on pictures from Australia then they were doing it upside down the whole time and it might not really work.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2017, 08:13:24 pm »

I know this is practically old hat by now, but I failed to see anyone mentioning progress on creating artificial wombs so I'm posting this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCGF8qrBKjY
And humans dinosaurs could be next.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:15:30 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2017, 01:19:09 am »

I know this is practically old hat by now, but I failed to see anyone mentioning progress on creating artificial wombs so I'm posting this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCGF8qrBKjY
And humans dinosaurs could be next.

I don't see how something like this could help in bringing back the dinosaurs, but technology like this would make the whole "unable to find a proper surrogate "  problem for recently extinct mammals, no longer an issue, that is thylacines are next.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10