Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Medical breakthroughs  (Read 20573 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medical breakthroughs
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2017, 09:02:30 am »

The joke goes that if you read the news we've got a cure for any disease coming in the next 5 years, for the last 40 years.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2017, 09:22:36 am »

The joke goes that if you read the news we've got a cure for any disease coming in the next 5 years, for the last 40 years.

Give an individual 72 years, and the the odds say any and every disease won't be a problem any more.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2017, 10:18:44 am »

Considering this wast posted 6 years ago and people are still getting viruses I take it the drug wasn't that great after all.
you're both completely unaware of drug development cycles and unwilling to read the provided links...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2017, 11:20:07 am »

Considering this wast posted 6 years ago and people are still getting viruses I take it the drug wasn't that great after all.
you're both completely unaware of drug development cycles and unwilling to read the provided links...

92% of the drugs that reach the clinical stage do not reach the market. I just assumed it had failed somewhere along the way.

This drug is stuck on its funding for preclinical animal testing. So yeah they might still make it, but the odds are about 20 to 1.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2017, 11:42:06 am »

The odds are long, but the problem at the moment is lack of funding. Doesnt mean that it's a failure per se. At this point we might never know if it is...

BTW the statistics for biologicals are far better.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:43:49 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2017, 06:44:30 am »

I thought this thread was from today up until I read this post.

I guess that says something about the speed of medical research.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2017, 01:16:03 pm »

Yup.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2017, 01:24:28 pm »

Not really, it tells us something about the lengthy procedures to get new procedures and drugs approved.
If you invent a medicine that cures all cancer 100% today, it will at least take another 15 years if not more before it gets past all trials and approvals
EDIT: (in fact, if you invented a drug that cures all cancers, you'd probably never get it approved. Too many financial interests at stake)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:28:34 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2017, 10:56:16 am »

if you invented a drug that cures all cancers, you'd probably never get it approved. Too many financial interests at stake
In other news, Novartis invents a cure for all cancers.

Well, not quite, but it's a start. It puts 99% of B cell leukemias into remission. And it's a proof of concept of the technology, which can be used to target other tumors as well. Solid tumors, even.

Full news item:

FDA gives Novartis the go ahead to marketing their propietary CART cell therapy. The first one of many.

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm574058.htm

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2017, 07:48:16 pm »

I'll believe it cures all cancers when it cures anime

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2017, 02:27:47 am »

I'm pretty sure that's not a virus. Posting to watch.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2017, 02:43:20 am »

CART therapies are reprogrammed leukocytes. Viruses might be involved in the reprogramming, but it is the reprogrammed leukocytes that are the active agent here.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2017, 09:40:21 am »

We've researched Retroviral engineering, but we still don't have an Empath's guild and Psionics.

I was lied to.  :(
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2017, 09:42:27 am »

We've researched Retroviral engineering, but we still don't have an Empath's guild and Psionics.

I was lied to.  :(

Technological advance is an inherently iterative process. One does not simply take sand from the beach and produce an iPad. We use crude tools to fashion better tools, and then our better tools to fashion more precise tools, and so on. Each minor refinement is a step in the process, and all of the steps must be taken.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2017, 10:21:44 am »

Plus there's the part where we screw up because we didn't know what we're doing. The faster you go, the higher the risk.

In any case, when there's a cure for lifestyle diseases, I'll get excited. Before that, people will smoke, eat and drink themselves sick no matter what you do.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10