Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Medical breakthroughs  (Read 20598 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Medical breakthroughs
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 05:29:06 pm »

There's good reasons.  If your cure has horrible, horrible side effects, the public doesn't lose faith in you, they lose faith in all medicine.  They get distrustful.  A nation that distrusts medicine and science is BAD.

And in the grand scheme of things... 20 years is pretty damn short. 
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 05:30:21 pm »

I'm no doctor, but I would say something like this would have to be absolutely flawless before getting on the market. That being said, this is the kind of thing that ought to be funded, not reality shows.
...Said Bloxace.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 05:33:06 pm »

Re: MSH, that,s likely because you have not checked the right sources. I assure you that treatments do get implemented. Take Provenge, for instance.
Costs 100,000$ for about three more months of survival. Whoop-de fucking do. I'd rather die and not cripple my family's bills for the next 50 years.
Or Avastin. Or bevacizumab.
Same thing. Banned in the USA for use against breast cancer, by the FDA, because according to them it only slows tumors instead of increasing survival rates.

I hate doctors. So, so very much.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 05:34:29 pm »

Im just saying, this could be the cause of the eventual zombie apocalypse.

I thought that was that Nuvigil stuff... Which when I look back at the effects it can have it sounds a lot like that Russian "Crocodile" shit... Hmm...
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 05:35:25 pm »

The nearly universal virus cure is a BIG deal. If it works without killing a lot of people, it will be as revolutionary as penicillin was. The cancer cure is good, but isn't nearly on the same scale.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:36 pm »

The nearly universal virus cure is a BIG deal. If it works without killing a lot of people, it will be as revolutionary as penicillin was. The cancer cure is good, but isn't nearly on the same scale.
It won't mean anything if it's sold for prices that only 1% of the world can afford, which it probably will if it's even half as useful as the article claims. They have to make money, after all. Nothing else matters to a corporation. Not your well being, not mine, not even their member's. Money. Nothing else.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 05:39:50 pm »

I'm personally scared that the "anti-virus" will be treated like antibacterials and everyone will be shitting up evolution with it.

When it gets cheap, that is.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 05:41:50 pm »

It's really too bad. One of my uncles died of leukemia, among some other things, earlier this year. Perhaps he'd still be alive if this were on the market already. Trial stages this, trial stages that, it's always with the fucking trial stages. Never do I hear about a treatment actually getting implemented.
That's typically because once something enters the trail stage it's novel and interesting. By the time the trail stage has ended, everyone has heard of it and it's old news, not worth mentioning any more because it has already been milked for everything it's worth.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 05:42:13 pm »

No medical procedure is absolutedly flawless. Risk is acceptable, as long as it is well known and documented.

Btw thatkid, "big pharma" is the industrial sector that invests the highest % of it revenue in R&D, and in fact funds these kind of things. So, they arent saints, but give the devil its due.

Re: msh, avastin is not used in breast cancer because afaik it did not show benefits, but I dont think its banned. It certainly gets used in many pathologies where it has shown benefits, like lung cancer. And there have been quite a few mabs approved in the last few years, including one which is quite effective in a subset of breast cancer (herceptin). On provenge, yeah, its results are notin the elite tier, but it sets a precedent  of an approval of an autologous immune therapy, and will likely draw vc to research in that area, so I think it's a good thing thst its there. Its a milestone.

Also, if you hate doctors we cant be friends :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 05:43:05 pm »

I'm personally scared that the "anti-virus" will be treated like antibacterials and everyone will be shitting up evolution with it.

When it gets cheap, that is.
Man kind was no natural predators, can protect itself from even some serious weather patterns, and can produce it's own food. We have very little evolutionary pressure on us right now, and your worried about 'shitting up evolution with it'? Little late, we have become like roaches, stable enough to go on like this for a long time, although we achieved this by changing our environment to suit us, rather than being some type of omni-species.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2011, 05:45:03 pm »

No, I mean breeding stupidly unkillable viruses via selection pressure.  Like what happened with penicillin.

Unless this is like ethanol that doesn't hurt people, in which case I say good show, chaps.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2011, 05:45:39 pm »

I think what she's more worried about is shitting up the evolution of viruses, like we have bacteria.  Viruses do change over time after all, being a replicating object.  This anti-viral product sounds like it's pretty much nuclear death for anything that qualifies as a virus, but it's more than possible that like bacteria, any virus that happens to survive will become that much more... uh, virulent.

Aaand, ninja'd.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2011, 05:46:34 pm »

Also, if you hate doctors we cant be friends :(
I have never had a good experience with a medical doctor in all of my years. Never. Not even once. They always fuck something up, or make an existing problem worse, or just plain don't do anything. And charge several hundred dollars for each of the above, each time they do it.

Thanks but no thanks, I think I'll take my chances on my own.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 05:53:38 pm »

No, I mean breeding stupidly unkillable viruses via selection pressure.  Like what happened with penicillin.

Unless this is like ethanol that doesn't hurt people, in which case I say good show, chaps.

Before penicillin, all bacteria were unkillable. Even over a hundred years later, most are still susceptible to antibiotics. And they are not particularly worse than they were before we had a treatment. It just seems worse because we are used to being able to crush them easily.

Even if some viri eventually become resistant, we will still be in a vastly better position a hundred years from now.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 05:56:47 pm »

From my understanding, viruses need to produce that RNA kind of like how animals need to consume oxygen.  Okay terrible terrible analogy but my point is this:  Adapting would kill them; the cure is antithetical to their basic biological nature.

Also what Nadaka said.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10