Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Entire island for embark - FOUND!  (Read 2701 times)

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entire island for embark - FOUND!
« on: August 11, 2011, 04:20:07 pm »

and yes, - it even have an vulcano.  :)  :)  :)

The shown embark will give you water on all sides, - you may want to add one additional row to the north.
The ocean is partly frozen in winter, and it really hurts my computer when the ice thaws, so if anybody can find a way to get rid of the ice, then you are very welcome to continue this thread.

So for the importan part:  8)

Code: [Select]
Vanilla 0.31.25 
[TITLE:MEDIUM REGION]
[SEED:3522847566]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:1000]
[VOLCANO_MIN:7]

The rest of the parameters can be left at default.

I'll have to sleep now, but I hope you can make it work.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:10:52 am by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Entire island for embark - FOUND!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:27:19 pm »

Turn temp off after it thaws for the first time. And ouch that is one big embark.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »

What happens to migrants, invasions, merchants, wildlife and really anything that's supposed to enter the map from the edge?
Will they appear in underground caverns?

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:36:28 pm »

Nothing ever comes that didn't start there on the surface. You get to live in total isolation, pretty good for a hermit challenge or last dwarves alive scenario. I think some stuff can spawn on a frozen ocean edge though, remember seeing it once. So until the thaw things might be able to come and go.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:17:56 pm »

Nothing ever comes that didn't start there on the surface. You get to live in total isolation, pretty good for a hermit challenge or last dwarves alive scenario. I think some stuff can spawn on a frozen ocean edge though, remember seeing it once. So until the thaw things might be able to come and go.

I just got a vivid mental image of migrants arriving during winter, immediately before the thaw.  Splash.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 06:42:39 pm »

I LOVE YOU

YOU ARE MY SAVIOR

Seriously, I've been looking for something like this for a long time. Now I just need to get back to my PC that can run large embarks.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:46:23 pm »

Oh man, I really wish my computer wasn't a piece of crap that would shit itself the instant I tried an embark that size. Maybe if I go with a hermit challenge and kill every living thing I possibly can to save memory it'll be fine.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:32:10 pm »

Yeah.
"Meat makes less decisions than animals"
Don't bust into the caverns/hfs. Your FPS will aready be shit enough.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:11 pm »

Which side(s) do the waves come from? Also, take careful note of which part of the water freezes, and where new migrants/animals migrate from. If they just spawn in the middle of the map, station your military there for easy animal parts.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 09:24:26 pm »

Age of Death/Emptiness it!
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 09:43:25 pm »

Which side(s) do the waves come from? Also, take careful note of which part of the water freezes, and where new migrants/animals migrate from. If they just spawn in the middle of the map, station your military there for easy animal parts.
He already say they don't come at all when the ocean is thawed. They are capable of arriving on frozen ice.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 09:47:33 pm »

He already say they don't come at all when the ocean is thawed. They are capable of arriving on frozen ice.
Derp. Can't believe I missed that.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 10:17:26 pm »

I once found an island that fit into a 5x5 embark, it was nice, didn't freeze every winter so the fps was good, but i totally missed having traders ,Also i made an obsidian bridge to the edge of the map and all my wildlife buggered off and i never saw them again... there was nothing left to kill except whales so i abandoned...
Also:
I think that only applies if your embark had a connection to begin with, if you somehow make ne with ice, obsidian, or dfhack the game still won't realize migrants and traders are avaliable.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

xl 4ndre lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 12:53:31 am »

I started an embark. During my initial mining i already found a vein of gold and a vein of hematite. How sweet it is.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 01:03:59 am »

I LOVE YOU
YOU ARE MY SAVIOR
Seriously, I've been looking for something like this for a long time. Now I just need to get back to my PC that can run large embarks.

You can actually take part of the credit. It was in your most interestig 'Ocean of the deeps'-thread, that I read such islands were very rare. So I took the time to doubel check what was needed to regen the world. - I guess this is how a forum is working at it's finest.  :)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.
Pages: [1] 2