Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: bridges  (Read 3667 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bridges
« on: August 11, 2011, 04:07:50 pm »

doea a raising draw bride 1 length long raise into a wall?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: bridges
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »

It depends of which direction you have set it to raise.
If you you have not set a direction, it will simply vanish out of sight.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »

i have set a direct, however when i pull the lever attached to the bridges blocking access to my courtyard, the main bridge raises, but the other two smaller ones which are one space look exactly the same.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:21:21 pm »

They look the same if they are only one tile thick, but they should still be raised. Try to get a dwarf to walk through, I bet they can't.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 04:45:04 pm »

They look the same if they are only one tile thick, but they should still be raised. Try to get a dwarf to walk through, I bet they can't.
oh, so its still working?

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 05:23:48 pm »

Yes, if you make a raising bridge that is composed of only one square tile, it will work, however it will look the same open and retracted. 

For that very reason, I do not make 1 tile bridges, I use a floodgate or hatch instead, since they pretty much do the same thing.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:55:28 pm »

Yes, if you make a raising bridge that is composed of only one square tile, it will work, however it will look the same open and retracted. 

For that very reason, I do not make 1 tile bridges, I use a floodgate or hatch instead, since they pretty much do the same thing.
i tried having my two back doors to my courtyard be floodgates, however the way it works, floodgates don't work when a bridge works so my main bridge would be open and the Flood gates closed and visa versa.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:58:21 pm »

Post an image with what you want to accomplish and we can help you with a solution.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18:19 pm »

i tried having my two back doors to my courtyard be floodgates, however the way it works, floodgates don't work when a bridge works so my main bridge would be open and the Flood gates closed and visa versa.

Using bridges is fine in your situation, just be sure you set them to raise and you will be fine.  Nice thing about raising bridges is that building destroyers will completely ignore them, not sure if the same can be said for floodgates...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:35:18 pm »

Using bridges is fine in your situation, just be sure you set them to raise and you will be fine.  Nice thing about raising bridges is that building destroyers will completely ignore them, not sure if the same can be said for floodgates...
i believe that floodgates are also undestroyable

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:47:40 am »

But they aren't, sadly.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 03:04:04 pm »

But they aren't, sadly.
Unless they are artifacts.  I just got lucky recently and 3 dwarves made artifact floor hatches, which makes my fortress impenetrable without building walls or retracting bridges.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 10:21:24 pm »

But they aren't, sadly.
Unless they are artifacts.  I just got lucky recently and 3 dwarves made artifact floor hatches, which makes my fortress impenetrable without building walls or retracting bridges.

Three of all the same useful piece of furniture?  Does that count as two or three consecutive miracles, would you say?

Constructions are indestructible.  Built furniture is not.  Unless what Ber said about artifacts being indestructible is true, which would mildly surprise me.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 01:41:25 am »

Artifacts are indestructible, however, everything I've read says that building destroyers will eventually just deconstruct the artifact, leaving an intact but out-of-place door/floodgate/hatch a tile or two away from where it was before.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 01:52:54 am »

Artifacts are indestructible, however, everything I've read says that building destroyers will eventually just deconstruct the artifact, leaving an intact but out-of-place door/floodgate/hatch a tile or two away from where it was before.

I have heard that hatches (And bridges) cannot be destructed from ramps below them. Haven't figured out a good way to test this yet.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2