Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the effect of world size on gameplay?  (Read 3042 times)

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the effect of world size on gameplay?
« on: August 11, 2011, 01:08:20 pm »

33x33, 127x127, etc. 

what is the effect on game play?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: What is the effect of world size on gameplay?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:14:04 pm »

Snail Fortress.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:34:53 pm »

Smaller worlds tend to have higher fps, as do thin worlds (only a few layers from surface to magma).
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:42:04 pm »

I don't think world size has much of an effect on your FPS.  It will have a huge effect on how long it takes to load and save your game.  It may also mean you'll see more megabeasts and other monsters showing up, since there will be a larger population of them to draw from.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:52:40 pm »

Because the rest of the world is more-or-less in stasis, it has little effect on game speed. It does, however, drastically increase save time.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 02:06:40 pm »

Little effect on gameplay. In a smaller world, you have a lessened chance of having a full civilization array. More gameplay effects arise from randomizations in world gen than from world size.

Size is bigger, so there are more places to embark, also.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:08:15 pm »

bigger worlds also get you a bigger playground in Adventure mode. But this is the Fortress Mode section, so to be relevant, I don't think world size does much except mean your game has more to keep track of when loading and saving, and world gen will be longer with larger worlds.
This space for rent

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:30:14 pm »

I've noticed that larger worlds seem to have more redundancy in civilization -- on a Small map, I usually see 2 or MAYBE three possible home civs for my embark, but on a Large, I have seen 5-7 choices.  (Hit tab a couple times when you're starting an embark to get to that list.  Sometimes two different home civs will have very different resources available to them, i.e. no coal in one, but both types in the other.)

I ASSUME that since a large map gives me multiple dwarven factions, that there may also be multiple elf/goblin/human factions as well, but it doesn't seem to have any appreciable impact on gameplay -- you apparently only get visited by the single closest faction.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:59:46 pm »

Those mentioning differences in civ numvers - You can decide exactly how many civilizations you want placed at the start. Advanced parameters, people.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »

Because the rest of the world is more-or-less in stasis, it has little effect on game speed. It does, however, drastically increase save time.
I thought weather was still calculated for the whole map. I don't mean tile by tile but in a broader sense. Smaller definitely ran faster back in 40d.

Another impact on gameplay is that smaller maps can more easily leave you with extinct races.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 11:00:38 pm »

I'm not sure about that. I do suppose it may affect game speed indirectly either way though. I generate large worlds but I have a 3.2 Ghz quad-core which can run most 4x4 sites at 100 fps with no issues. I don't really notice any difference in fps, if any.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)