Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Any Good Dragon Games?  (Read 25185 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Any Good Dragon Games?
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:32:28 am »

Preferably free and where you can actually PLAY as the dragon. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
Re: Any Good Dragon Games?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:27:27 am »

The Drakan series, though old, are decent dragon themed games. You ride them though, you aren't a dragon yourself.

A dragon simulator with advanced flight dynamics and free roam mechanics would be awesome though. Grand Theft Dragon. Depart from your eyrie or mountain lair and snatch up a few peasants for lunch before laying waste to a castle that is encroaching upon your territory.

Edit : This looks pretty awesome. Too bad it's only for the PS3.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:36:44 am by mikefictiti0us »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 03:38:07 am »

How To Rise a dragon. (Despite the title it's from the dragon's point of view.) Short flash game about growing up as a dragon, and fining your place in the general scheme of things. Platformer, I guess, but a very easy one.

King of Dragon Pass . I'll be honest with you, you don't get to play as a dragon, and in fact they're secondary to the plot (it's unlikely, bu you can play an entire game without meeting one). It is however one of the best written games set in a pseudo-Norse setting. Bar none. Turn based strategy/economy sim.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:26:11 am »

What was the name of that older, third person shooter/fps game where you chose one of three dragons (a fire "warrior", an ice "mage" and a necromancer) and you had to build cities, fend of attackers and destroy lairs? It wasn't really that good, but might be exactly what the OP wants. God damn the name slipped my mind entirely.

fake edit : I of the Dragon!
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/iofthedragon/review.html?tag=summary%3Bread-review

Also, How to Raise a Dragon is awesome, if a bit short-ish.

edit : if you DO actually buy I of the Dragon (it's not free), play as the necromancer, as the warrior is boring and the mage is so fragile it's not even ridiculous.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 04:27:00 am »

There's an RPG where I think you can transform into a dragon, though I haven't played it myself. It's called Divinity

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 05:41:18 am »

If we're talking about games where one can transform into dragons I might as well mention the old Breath of Fire JRPG series, and I believe Neverwinter Nights had a dragon's form as a Shapeshift option. However, neither really have a lot of dragon-style gameplay... doing things dragons are supposed to do. I'd assume if the OP was looking for a dragon game that would be important.

While I've heard about a few of those games none looked too promising. Sorry that I couldn't help more.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:43:13 am »

Yeah, I'm kinda looking for games where the main focus is being a dragon.  Shapeshifters are cool, but in those sort of games, you usually can't stay as a dragon for very long, and these transformations hardly ever contain the real feeling of being a dragon.  In short, I want a nice pure dragon simulator. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 06:00:11 am »

When you say "Dragon Simulator" you mean a happiness-and-food (tamagochi) kind of simulator or flying-around-killing-stuff kind of simulator?

Anyway, I can't believe I forgot Choice of the Dragon. Dragon themed CYOA.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 06:40:29 am »

Seconding Choice of the Dragon.  You get to make quite a few decisions, and it's the most complete CYOA that I've ever seen.  Hoard, a small game on the PSN (not free, demo provided) is dragon themed, though it's more slapstick battling than detailed.  Towns will rise and fall as you play though, and "raising" a city before "razing" it has its benefits.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 06:50:43 am »

Seconding Choice of the Dragon.  You get to make quite a few decisions, and it's the most complete CYOA that I've ever seen.  Hoard, a small game on the PSN (not free, demo provided) is dragon themed, though it's more slapstick battling than detailed.  Towns will rise and fall as you play though, and "raising" a city before "razing" it has its benefits.
I'll third on the Choice of the Dragon, just did a play through, very good. Like all the "This is a Joke Choice" but still picked them first...
Hoard is interesting. The game could be something quite competitive if played against other players, but the price left me thinking that its just not worth getting despite how nice the Demo was. I always left the castle alone at the towns, if you destroyed enough of the areas around them they would come under your rule and send tribute to you. But the AI Drakes don't do much when you take them over again and then spend most of your time camping their Hoard, stealing from it, kicking them back to their hoard, stealing from it. So many games ended with the AI having nothing in their hoard...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 07:10:31 am »

Divinity and Divinity 2 are decent, though they are completely different genres. Divinity 1 is more of a Diablo hack and slash type, while Divinity 2 is more of your typical 3rd person RPG. Both are fairly rough, and I've only personally played 2, but it felt like a callback to the days where RPGs were more grindy and less "hold the players hand" than they normally are now. All in all, I liked 2, but it did get fairly difficult after a while. By the time you're able to transform into a dragon you're halfway through the game anyway.

I have never died that much in an RPG before... save often.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 07:30:20 am »

wow you just triggered a fond memory I had of an mmo game called Horizon, you could be a dragon and you grew in to a flying huge dragon at higher levels. The crafting in that game was cool also.

id search for the game coz im sure its still around under a differnt guise but i cant as work blocks most places on the "internets".
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:11 am »

wow you just triggered a fond memory I had of an mmo game called Horizon, you could be a dragon and you grew in to a flying huge dragon at higher levels. The crafting in that game was cool also.

id search for the game coz im sure its still around under a differnt guise but i cant as work blocks most places on the "internets".

Is there a link or anything?  It would be very much appreciated. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 07:41:52 am »

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 07:50:20 am »

http://www.istaria.com/

I remember trying this and finding it weird how drakes run around on all fours, yet can craft somehow (although nothing they could wear for some reason, from what I remember). And apparently now it's F2P, but only for human characters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4