Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: indoor pastures  (Read 1256 times)

yer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
indoor pastures
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:53:38 am »

hi everyone

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that you could get a tile to be counted as outside by channeling down and then building a floor overtop, but wasn't sure.  I want to create an indoor pasture for my grazers, but wanted to fact check this before I started digging huge holes in my map.
Sometimes you are not supposed to succeed, or even know if you succeeded or not. Sometimes it is best to just keep testing until you run out of cake enough elves have been killed you find a new point for the testing, and succeed in it.

And basically, if elves keep dying, it will still be recorded as a success.

Earth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: indoor pastures
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:08:30 am »

Thats for farming?

You need grass tiles, and you can get them only by breaching the caverns, then either having soil tiles open, or flooding stone tiles.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:24:30 am »

yes yer that will work but it will need to be a large area for even small grazers. Breaching the caverns is easier and the moss crap grows so fast they cant possibly eat it all. The only problem with that is it only grows on soil layers.
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:36:06 am »

On a slightly related note as I don't feel this is worth its own thread, I have an underground pasture yet my grazers all refuse to remain pastured and instead prefer to starve to death in my meeting hall. What's up with that?

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:44:44 am »

On a slightly related note as I don't feel this is worth its own thread, I have an underground pasture yet my grazers all refuse to remain pastured and instead prefer to starve to death in my meeting hall. What's up with that?

Do you have them pastured to the pasture? otherwise they will stick to the dwarves that brought them and just generally be a nuisance
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 02:49:52 am »

Do you have them pastured to the pasture? otherwise they will stick to the dwarves that brought them and just generally be a nuisance

refuse to remain pastured

So, yeah, I have. Together with my giant badgers and grizzly bear. Which also just hang out in my dining hall.

immodium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 04:02:07 am »

You havent accidentally pressed 'a' to make the pasture inactive? Press 'q' and check the pasture.

I have done that a couple of times. Animals are assigned to the pasture but still in meeting area.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:59:00 am »

Ah, that solved it. Many thanks. Wasn't even aware of the fact that you could activate/deactivate zones.