Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: well this is odd  (Read 2442 times)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: well this is odd
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 10:29:19 pm »

It always amuses me that the generic name for dwarves comes from a weapon dwarves never make and rarely use. Seems like McHuman's right about them not being that sharp.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:07 am »

Ironically, Large Daggers are the best weapon in the game for piercing armor. Does explain why Kobolds get so many kills, though!

I tend to get lots of miners named Ushrir. It's fitting -- means "quake".

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 12:43:30 am »

I like Zasits and Eturs. Atirs are also nice but they tend to run away from battles easily for me.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 01:02:41 am »

Oddly i have never noticed a single urist, but lots of Metobs and bomreks.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

OwlEpicurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 01:06:49 am »

Urist isn't the most common name.  Some of my shorter-lived forts never have one. 

I had an Urist recently: Urist Lorineth Zas Suvas, "Dagger Toolcities the Crystal of Luster."  She had 25 kills, but it was mostly dark stranglers with a couple goblins mixed in, so nothing too impressive.  She did have rather nice stats (incredibly quick to heal, tough, etc).

For some reason, almost every dwarf I've had with the name Mosus ends up being one of my main Masons.  Nishes tend to cause more trouble than they're worth; for example, I had one throw a tantrum and kill a poor Hauler in my last fort.  They seem to always be miserable, even when the other dwarves are perfectly happy... well, happy enough not to tantrum, at least...

I tend to like any names that sound good, either in Dwarf or in English.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 01:15:13 am »

I have to agree, bomrek is the finest.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 03:09:49 am »

I'm partial to Shorasts, ever since I embarked on my first evil biome and had an Ogre immediately come welcome my dwarves, before I could make a weapon or any kind of defense. A Shorast killed the Ogre alone with his bare hands - it took months - despite losing his right lung in the process (it was grey, completely gone, no idea how). He wouldn't even let the doctor take a look at it, it didn't seem to bother him.. psh, lungs, you have a spare one.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 06:50:59 am »

The use of the name Urist for all dwarves comes from the legendary Urist Borushdumat who was pretty much the definition of dwarfiness back in the old days of skeletal elephants... read the story if you don't know it yet. It's awesome.
I haven't had any notable Urists so far... just some noble (Urist GlitterSyrup or something elvish [ish dat like elvish preshley?] like that) who ended as a red smear after 20 z-levels. Fittingly, my Urists seem to be the most unsocial, useless and annoying dwarves in the whole fort.

Personally, I like Bomrek. Nice and dependable. Id and Kol are nice too, especially in the military.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 07:00:23 am »

My favourite has to be Melbil, is it?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 07:00:50 am »

Whenever I get a Urist, they usually have one point in all farming skills.  Nothing spectacular, but able to single handedly perform all food functions of the fort.  Truly the foundation.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 10:51:39 am »

The king of the civ I'm currently playing as is named Urist Copperfight.

As for other dwarven names, I'm fond of Tekkud, less fond of Zas, and I despise that freeloader Dumat.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 11:02:02 am »

I like the names starting with the letter "L" , like Lorbam or Logem. And O... nvm
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 11:13:18 am »

I have yet to become partial to any one dwarven name, but I do have a dwarf in my current fortress named Togal, after the god he worships (Togal, who takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with war, death, mountains [or was it volcanos?] and fortresses.) I like to think that the dwarfs who worship Togal actually worship that one dwarf. The only thing he ever does is smooth and engrave stone, and I disabled every other labor for him.

Currently debating on promoting him to a position of status or just having him be a simple engraver all his life.
This space for rent

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 11:34:03 am »

I've found that the more I see a dwarf name in blue (Tekkud Zuglarid has engraved a masterpiece! x 1000) the better I like that name, and the more I see a dwarf name in red (Dumat Udibushrir cancels Pickup Equipment: Too injured x 1000) the less I like that name. Shit be Pavlovian.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 12:10:26 pm »

I've found that the more I see a dwarf name in blue (Tekkud Zuglarid has engraved a masterpiece! x 1000) the better I like that name...

To me that only results in me liking that specific dwarf more, and me eventually learning what it exactly that he does.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 [2] 3