Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fallen Earth - Wait, not actually free. Still good. Meh.  (Read 8393 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Fallen Earth - Wait, not actually free. Still good. Meh.
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:55:49 pm »

First thing's first, let me summarize the game:

Fallen Earth is set in a post-apocalyptic grand canyon, rife with mutants and violent marauders, as well as six warring factions. In a setup unusual for MMOs, each faction hates one other faction, is allied with one other faction, and is relatively neutral to the others in a big circle. You also don't start off in a faction you join one (or I guess can remain independent if you like grinding endlessly) a while into the game. Characters are also very detailed, and freeform- XP turns into Attribute Points, which like in GURPS can be spent on attributes or skills.

It is what I would call a proper shooter-MMORPG. There's no auto-help with the gunplay, the camera works well in first person, over the shoulder or distant third person, and the entire game takes place in a persistent world with quests, NPCs, PvP zones, wide aeras to explore and a few bunkers that might be called dungeons (the developers try to avoid the dungeon crawl scenario though). Melee combat is an entirely valid option if you don't like shooting. There's also a deep crafting system, everything except mission items can be made with materials you salvage or harvest, including items you can't get from NPCs. Crafting is mostly based around waiting for items to complete but you can continue to move around and fight or whatever else while you wait for crafting items to complete.

There's also vehicles, I think including cars but mostly just horses and ATV's, which serve the purpose of a typical MMO mount, although you can fire guns with riding.

The game has been bought by GamersFirst, like APB and some other MMOs. Fortunately however, the original developers seem to be in charge of how money is being earned (vanity items and an expansion pack, right now), so there's no BS about becoming a subscriber for extra backpack space or things that you would expect to have while playing the game normally, and no pay-to-win (some of the items in the store are useful, mainly mounts, but equivalents can all be acquired through normal gameplay, it's mostly just for the lazy and the game was balanced for no store). In fact it seems like it's only worth getting the expansion pack once you've leveled up a good bit.

I didn't enjoy it much when I played during beta, but it's had massive changes since then. In fact, I'm quite hooked, I think we should get some Bay12'ers in here.

The FE page by default tries to make you use the godawful GamersFirst downloader. However, click the "Direct Download" tab for something you can download without waiting all day. You also log in with a GamersFirst Account. You can have your old Fallen Earth account converted to a G1 account and keep your characters, but if you did have an FE account you probably already got an email about that.

Who's already playing? Who's played before? Who's interested?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:14:03 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen Earth - Free to Play!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:01:51 pm »

How is the PVP? Can you fight anyone or just enemy factions? PVP lakes (zones I guess) or areanas like in WoW?

I played it a tiny bit during open beta and wasn't woo'ed by it at all.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 02:03:34 pm »

I'm interested. Always have been, but I've heard lots of mixed response to the game. How big is the download? It took around 10 hours for APB via the Gamers First downloader bullshit.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 02:11:52 pm »

... wait what? when did it get free to play? i remember not playing it because it wouldn't let me without a creditcard ...
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 02:16:22 pm »

It was faster than APB for me, but APB didn't take 10 hours for me either. FE probably took... around two hours, maybe a little more, but your connection might be slower than mine. At least updates don't use G1.

I've not leveled up far enough for faction PvP, which apparently takes place in open areas and there's some sort of penalties for killing faction members (but you CAN kill them). I'm not sure on the details of that.

There's also Bloodsports, which are arena battles you can jump into at any time after doing a speaking with the Bloodsports Registrar (and being level 5 or higher). This earns you points you can spend in the special Bloodsports store.

Like I said, I played in the beta and I didn't like it either, but now that I tried it again due to being free I'm quite impressed. And yes, it went free to play VERY recently. You can join GamersFirst entirely without a credit card.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 02:19:29 pm »

Sounds ok.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 02:31:32 pm »

Definately trying out.

And note to OP, you don't have to use the GamersGate GamersFirst downloader.

There's a quite visible tab for direct download. (5 GB, though, better use a download manager.)
There is an option for just the Fallen Earth launcher, which would then probably download it on its own.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:35:58 pm by FunctionZero »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 02:33:11 pm »

Didn't notice that. I'll update the OP.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 02:47:50 pm »

Is this really free to play already? I've heard the announcements and could've sworn they were talking about a later date. And the main page mentions a 14 day trial?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 02:53:06 pm »

Yeah, according to the email I've got it really is free to play. I'm not sure if there's more caveats I'm not aware of as the game goes on though. I think the 14 day free trial info is just leftovers.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »

Well, I can confirm that the launcher is downloading the game just nicely.

Seems it's going at full speed, so unlike that GamersFirst client.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 03:55:23 pm »

This game was a bit of a hidden gem to me, having loved it in beta but not seeing it really take off. Hopefully it can find it's audience with F2P.

Note I'm all over anything with in-depth crafting, and this game definitely has it :P

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:13:42 pm »

Well I guess I did indeed pull a major derp: The game is scheduled to go F2P, but isn't yet. Apparently when you start off you're on a trial period. The game might well be worth subscribing to, but yeah. Should go F2P sometime between october and december.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen Earth - Wait, not actually free. Still good. Meh.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 04:19:06 pm »

Oh well. At least I'll have the game ready when it eventually goes free.
What does this trial period mean anyway? How long does it last?

Oh yeah, and I found a torrent on their forums: http://l3cdn.fallenearth.com/FallenEarth/FE-Bloodsports.torrent
This should make for the highest speed possible.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen Earth - Wait, not actually free. Still good. Meh.
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »

I heard it still hasn't gotten better since the alpha.
And I was in the alpha and it was really really sad, even for an alpha.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.
Pages: [1] 2 3