Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Very strange syndrome transferral from... soap?!  (Read 2214 times)

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
Very strange syndrome transferral from... soap?!
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:33:57 am »

So I have this dwarf.

He's rather pus-covered and blistery right now.

Having checked his health screen, it seems the only history he has is of being washed in the hospital.  He had no further treatment there, so I would assume his injuries were not severe.  He was, however, washed with...

Logem, now retired and renamed "Patient 1", is the only dwarf in my fortress with these blisters.  He is also the only dwarf who has been washed with the soap.  Only one bar was made, and the remaining tallow has not been used for cooking AFAIK (I forbade the tallow after noticing poor Logem).

My questions are this.

1- I did not think that syndromes from forgotten beasts could transfer to products made from their corpses.  Was I wrong?
2- Is there a potential other reason why he might be covered in blisters?  No one else is, not even the military who butchered the beast in close combat.
3- Assuming the soap/tallow is the cause.  CAN I WEAPONISE THIS?  Would burning tallow transfer the syndrome to the smoke?
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Very strange syndrome transferral from... soap?!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:35:46 am »

Er... I've... wow. I've never seen this before.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:41:54 am »

I can't comment on whether or not it's viable or he just got unlucky or has allergies, but...

1- I did not think that syndromes from forgotten beasts could transfer to products made from their corpses.  Was I wrong?
2- Is there a potential other reason why he might be covered in blisters?  No one else is, not even the military who butchered the beast in close combat.
3- Assuming the soap/tallow is the cause.  CAN I WEAPONISE THIS?  Would burning tallow transfer the syndrome to the smoke?

I like your train of thought.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:49:21 am »

Oh crap.  Just remembered I traded some awesome meals a couple of seasons ago.

Which means, potentially, other meals were made containing the tallow before I forbade it.  But if it wasn't the main ingredient they won't show up.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:51:04 am »

Ingestion syndromes will be include in the next release, AFAIK.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 08:27:16 am »

Ingestion syndromes will be include in the next release, AFAIK.

Well I don't have to worry about the food, at least.

Is anyone able to confirm whether the soap could have caused the syndrome?  I really am at a loss, here.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:12:59 am »

Is anyone able to confirm whether the soap could have caused the syndrome?  I really am at a loss, here.

No, it didn't. The dwarf was in the hospital, being washed, because he was already infected. It seems like you killed a FB. That FB, or another one, probably had a syndrome that caused this. Please go into the units menu and post your FB descriptions (this works even for dead ones).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:21:31 am »

Dear god. SEAL HIM IN BEFORE HE ROTS
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 10:10:21 am »

No, it didn't. The dwarf was in the hospital, being washed, because he was already infected. It seems like you killed a FB. That FB, or another one, probably had a syndrome that caused this. Please go into the units menu and post your FB descriptions (this works even for dead ones).

Huh.  So how come the military dorfs haven't been ill?  I mean, there were some mild, mundane injuries but they're all still fine. 

Rithesa Finerasanene Idi Meli
A great eyeless crow.  It has a long, swinging trunk and it undulates rhythmically. Its gold feathers are long and broad.  Beware its poisonous gas!  -fought by melee dwarfs, came into close contact with it and all are fine.

Loslal
A huge skinless iguana.  It has wings and it is slathering.  Beware its deadly blood!  -did not come into contact with dwarfs.  Died of magma when it tried to destroy a working pump stack.

Ner
A towering, feathered assassin bug. It has wings and it is slathering.  Its blue feathers are patchy.  Beware its noxious secretions!

Usnos Osnongaru
An enormous, beakless oriole. It has three stubby horns and it has a bloated body.  Beware its noxious secretions!

Both

also killed by melee dwarfs, corpses butchered and they both died at the hallway into the caverns, so many dwarfs wandered through the area afterwards.  No other dwarfs are affected by the blisters though, so I don't know what is going on.

Dear god. SEAL HIM IN BEFORE HE ROTS

He's actually in a pretty good mood at the moment.  Must be the nice dining room.

Captain Insano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:14:22 am »

Heh this sounds quite interesting.
"Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM*

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:21:02 am »

I bet the dwarf was allergic. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:30:17 am »

military dwarves with full armor may not have extract touch their skin, in which case they will be fine.  I highly doubt the soap is the culprit.  If those dwarves wash at a well however, extract will be left on the floor at the well, which could contaminate other dwarfs that are barefoot.  If he was in bed, resting, when he was washed, then I have no idea how this happened.

However I have seen something like this before.

In a previous fort I had a little trench of 2/7 water that dwarfs stepped through to decontaminate themselves before entering the fortress.  Every dwarf that stepped in knocked all his blood pus, mud, and vomit into the square where he stepped, and every body part would then be 'water covered' before evaporating dry.  This trench method worked, but not without a hitch.  Once I killed a forgotten beast and a civillian stepped in the extract.  He was a naked civilian since DWARVES WON'T WEAR NEW CLOTHES, and he quickly rushed to the hospital to rest.  contact with the skin caused numbness, dizziness, and even blindness, as well as bleeding.  He trailed blood all the way to the hospital, through the decontamination trench.  When he arrived at the hospital he was all clean but remained bedridden.  The forgotten beast extract was left in the trench.  Mission accomplished right?  Wrong.  20 seconds later I see my hospital is FULL of bleeding, dizzy, blind dwarves.  They're even resting on the ground because my hospital (with 10 fully equiped all-glass quarantine-ready rooms) is out of beds.  I follow the blood back to the decontamination trench.

It turns out that EVERY dwarf that stepped in the 2/7 water with the 'pool of extract' in it would be, for 1 step of game time, covered head to toe in extract, before being completely washed again by the water.  Thus any dwarf that stepped into that spot became contaminated and instantly clean in the same instant.  Importantly, the extract did not spread from that single tile.  That brief contamination was enough to turn all my dwarves yellow head to toe and blind, however all of them made a full recovery due to the briefness of their exposure.  I set the contaminated tile to restricted traffic, and it was soon cleaned up by a passing dwarf.

Judging from your dwarf's injuries, I would think something similar happened in your fortress.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:30:35 am »

double post
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:16 am »

military dwarves with full armor may not have extract touch their skin, in which case they will be fine.  I highly doubt the soap is the culprit.  If those dwarves wash at a well however, extract will be left on the floor at the well, which could contaminate other dwarfs that are barefoot.  If he was in bed, resting, when he was washed, then I have no idea how this happened.

However I have seen something like this before.

In a previous fort I had a little trench of 2/7 water that dwarfs stepped through to decontaminate themselves before entering the fortress.  Every dwarf that stepped in knocked all his blood pus, mud, and vomit into the square where he stepped, and every body part would then be 'water covered' before evaporating dry.  This trench method worked, but not without a hitch.  Once I killed a forgotten beast and a civillian stepped in the extract.  He was a naked civilian since DWARVES WON'T WEAR NEW CLOTHES, and he quickly rushed to the hospital to rest.  contact with the skin caused numbness, dizziness, and even blindness, as well as bleeding.  He trailed blood all the way to the hospital, through the decontamination trench.  When he arrived at the hospital he was all clean but remained bedridden.  The forgotten beast extract was left in the trench.  Mission accomplished right?  Wrong.  20 seconds later I see my hospital is FULL of bleeding, dizzy, blind dwarves.  They're even resting on the ground because my hospital (with 10 fully equiped all-glass quarantine-ready rooms) is out of beds.  I follow the blood back to the decontamination trench.

It turns out that EVERY dwarf that stepped in the 2/7 water with the 'pool of extract' in it would be, for 1 step of game time, covered head to toe in extract, before being completely washed again by the water.  Thus any dwarf that stepped into that spot became contaminated and instantly clean in the same instant.  Importantly, the extract did not spread from that single tile.  That brief contamination was enough to turn all my dwarves yellow head to toe and blind, however all of them made a full recovery due to the briefness of their exposure.  I set the contaminated tile to restricted traffic, and it was soon cleaned up by a passing dwarf.

Judging from your dwarf's injuries, I would think something similar happened in your fortress.

Ah O_o

You might be right.  And that sounds horrible! dorfy!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 10:34:05 am »

"Don't worry, guys! It's just a rash!"
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: [1] 2