Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: bells  (Read 2412 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
bells
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:37:09 am »

I dont know. I just want to have belltowers with actual bells. I think you could assign something to make the bells mean something for all the dwarfs who hear them. But I really want them. Even if they are just accessories.

Camper2490

• Bay Watcher
  • Imbibo ergo sum.
    • View Profile
Re: bells
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:37:29 am »

The current alert system has an instantaneous effect that is quite unrealistic, a bell system could help make alerts more realistic (and fun if the bell tower that alerts the peasants to run for the bunker is taken)
The interesting thing about dwarves is that they don't have an immune system, but rather the ability to maintain an extremely high blood alcohol content for extended periods of time.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 06:06:21 am »

The current alert system has an instantaneous effect that is quite unrealistic, a bell system could help make alerts more realistic (and fun if the bell tower that alerts the peasants to run for the bunker is taken)
Yeah. Though I would like them even more for festive purposes.

Camper2490

• Bay Watcher
  • Imbibo ergo sum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:52:56 am »

Yeah. Though I would like them even more for festive purposes.

Goblin Christmas is the most festive time of year on the dwarven calander.
The interesting thing about dwarves is that they don't have an immune system, but rather the ability to maintain an extremely high blood alcohol content for extended periods of time.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:45:26 am »

yep the current alert sistem sucks
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 11:25:45 am »

Wow, constructive!

Anyway, Yeah, I would really like to have bells that have a certain radius where every dwarf will hear them.

But then, I need to have dwarves who can party with them.

A drunkard goes and yanks a random bell.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 01:28:05 pm »

Wow, constructive!

Anyway, Yeah, I would really like to have bells that have a certain radius where every dwarf will hear them.

But then, I need to have dwarves who can party with them.

A drunkard goes and yanks a random bell.
The higher the bell,larger area of effect,and for diferent alerts we could mix bells varying weight,material and position.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 02:36:13 pm »

Can we just disable anty's thread creation rights in Suggestions?
One in seven of his posts are threads.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:46:10 pm »

In terms of realism of control in fortress mode, the issue goes far deeper than instantaneous alerts. It is completely ambiguous who or what you are supposed to be and how you are supposed to be communicating with the dwarves. The player doesn't seem to map to any clearly defined entity* or institution. As far as I can tell, you seem to represent the general zeitgeist of the fortress (although, in that case, things would be fine as they are because you're not representing an independent being that needs to communicate with your dwarves. Vox populi,vox dei)

*(in the conventional, rather than in-game sense of the term)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:47:10 pm »

In terms of realism of control in fortress mode, the issue goes far deeper than instantaneous alerts. It is completely ambiguous who or what you are supposed to be and how you are supposed to be communicating with the dwarves. The player doesn't seem to map to any clearly defined entity* or institution. As far as I can tell, you seem to represent the general zeitgeist of the fortress (although, in that case, things would be fine as they are because you're not representing an independent being that needs to communicate with your dwarves. Vox populi,vox dei)

*(in the conventional, rather than in-game sense of the term)

Indeed, and this causes lots of other issues..like with economics but that is a whole other issue (I really think it would be great if you were a dwarf and had to hold on to power).

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:53:32 pm »

once music goes in i'm sure this will quickly go in (as music will lay the fondations for realistic sound)
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 09:42:51 am »

once music goes in i'm sure this will quickly go in (as music will lay the fondations for realistic sound)

And sound will travel through tiles no doubt? Im shore then that there will be a sort of sound-map. Just like the heat- map thing. Also, what the hell is it with you people and saying NOTHING but references to 2 year old topics. Sheesh, get a kitten.

Also, its WORTH to discuss WHAT the bells would do. Dont you like imagining that dwarf fortress is finished?

@fallingwhale: Dude, its not like I WANT to stop immagining....  :P Just getting on your nerves. but seriously now, why don't YOU make a suggestion thread?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 11:05:08 am »

Contrary to the recent popular belief, Toady DOES read suggestions. If you suggest things that have already been suggested, Toady will read the discussion without getting anything out of it. The time he spends on this could be spent on development.

There has been nothing relevant to sound in the last 2 years of development, so these 2 year old threads are still relevant.
You are right by saying that bells deserve being discussed, as the 18 other threads prove the interest people have for it. The question is, do they still deserve being discussed any further ? After reading all the threads on the similar suggestions, do you STILL have an idea that hasn't been proposed ? Can you say something so it will get other people to have a new idea ?

If not, perhaps you should refrain yourself.
Also, I doubt music will lay ground to a noise simulation. It's typically the kind of thing Toady would do, but I don't think there are enough applications that would use it.
Pages: [1] 2