Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Dungeon - A tale of Axes  (Read 6272 times)

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
The Dungeon - A tale of Axes
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:50:01 am »

You feel the cold, damp stone beneath you. Your eyesight is blurry and you hear a voice echoing throughout where you are. "You, along with five others, have been chosen to take part in a fight for survival. Read the paper, take your equipment and leave the room."

I'm bored and I thought I'd create something. Six people can participate. You're basically stuck in a series of rooms where you will fight anything. This ranges from monsters to each other. You will end up working together and you will end up working against each other at times. I will be rolling your chance of succeeding in your attempt with a six sided die. 1 = failure. 2 = minor failure. 3 = Success. 4 = Great success 5 = Major success 6 = Great success with minor downside. I will be rolling for specific things. So say you pick an item that grants you +1 speed, if you are trying to outrun something you get a +1 on that roll. I won't kill you off, obviously. You have several chances and even then the situation will just become bad if you get all ones, you won't die immediately is what I'm saying. You all start out with 10 health.

Battle example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some stuff:

You stand up several minutes after the voice finished talking. You stand in a room made of stone. In front of you is a wooden door, to your right is a table, to your left is a wall and behind you is another wall. On the table is a set of equipment and a paper. The only thing that changes with the equipment is the weapon and armor material, you do not have to take an armor or a weapon. Weapon 1: Sword, +1 Blocking. Weapon 2: Axe, +1 Attacking. Weapon 3: Shield (Yes, a shield is a weapon. You bash someone with it), chance to knock down your opponent and make them skip a roll. (I will roll this with a six sided dice. You will only make them skip a turn if you land on a five.)
Armor 1: Leather armor, +1 Speed. Armor 2: Iron armor, +1 Defense. Armor 3: Business suit, +1 persuasion.

The paper reads in neat cursive: You have been brought to this place to test your will, strength and determination. You have managed to wrong several people and thus you must live up to your actions. If you survive all will be ignored and you will be let free. If you do not then payment has been made. But be warned, the other contestants are not here to repent their crimes, as they have none. They are here to kill you for what you have done.

What set of equipment, if any, do you pick?

Everyone gets that paper and those choices.

Players:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:21:20 am by Mr. Dwarfinton »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dungeon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:18 am »

Hmm, interesting. I believe this might be a RTD, or roll to dodge game. But I'll give it a shot.

Hi. I Bob. Bob take Axe and Iron Armor.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:55:27 am »

Well, when you guys meet up I suggest roleplaying instead of just actions, but until then it's just an action and then a roll.
Of course, adding a paragraph after your action never hurts.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 02:06:58 am »

Eldmor stands up in confusion. What now? Hasn't he been trough enough already? And why always him? Also, why can't they take them during the day for a change? No, always during his sleep. Whenever he wakes up, he's somewhere in some mysterious place where he faces some challenge. Maybe the gods are just some dice-rolling bastards using him for their games. Anyway, if there's one thing he learned, it's not to ask questions when this happens again. Wanting to get this over with, Eldmor takes an axe and a leather armor. This should give him some extra punch while retaining his mobility. Hopefully.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 02:24:34 am »

Well, I feel game. Sure, I'll give this a go, though I am not sure how it differs from a normal RTD.

My characters name is Leon.

I'll grab a sword and Iron armour.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 02:38:05 am »

Overhead you hear faint coughing echoing throughout the area, and then the voice comes back, "At least three of you have awaken. Let the games begin, my corrupt friends." You hear it say. Suddenly a low rumbling begins shaking the ground you are standing on. The small shake quickly erupts in a dangerous one, the remaining weapons and armor flying off the table. Eldmor [3+1] simply ignores the large amount of shaking, even balancing enough to walk out the door that the voice had directed him to earlier. Good thing you didn't choose the heavy armor, as it would he weighed you down and most likely make you fall. Bob [6] manages to do the same, but the shaking has disrupted his stomach. He leans over for a moment and then proceeds to vomit up what is left in his stomach all over the floor. [3] Legon, your legs almost give out from under you, but you manage to hold yourself up by putting your hand against a wall. You walk out the door after the rumbling stops.

Bob - You will lose a -1 to all checks for two turns, as you are now sick. You realize how to position yourself and what the easiest way to stay like during a tough situation +1 to dexterity/speed. This lasts three turns.

Eldmor - No downsides. You gain nothing.

Leon - No downsides. You gain nothing.

((I've decided to put in another system. If you roll and get 5+ you will gain a small buff for one stat.))

Outside of the door is a small chamber, it is not unlike how the last one was made. There are two doors, each door has a marking above it. One door has a "Y" the other has an "X." [3] Eldmor unconsciously rubs his arm, only to find that his skin is quite cold. There is a draft coming from one of those rooms. [2-1] Bob believes he feels something, only to slam his head into a wall when he turned around and looked for it. [3] Leon looks down, examining the room. Believing he sees something he leans down and examines the floor, only to notice tiny goosebumps on his arm. Extending a hand away from him he feels what is a slight draft coming from a room.
How do you proceed?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:07:20 am »

Locate where this breeze is coming from.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 03:14:49 am »

Locate where this breeze is coming from.

[1] You attempt to figure out where the breeze is coming from. Closing your eyes you extend a hand and turn towards where the breeze is coming from. When you open them you are facing towards the first room. You feel silly and go back to picking which door you will enter.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 04:41:21 am »

Walk trough door X
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 05:38:29 am »

Try again, this time licking my finger and turning towards thhe side that feels colder when I hold it up.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 07:18:19 am »

Adrian leather armor and axe
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:22:00 am by Ahra »
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 08:40:28 am »

I'll be Joe with the axe and iron armor, If there's still room.
Try to find an exit or secret passage

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 11:31:27 am »

So many axes! Are you all going offensive?

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 12:05:36 pm »

Apparently.  We are now team axe murderers.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 12:10:42 pm »

Walk trough door X

After some time you decide to walk through door X, this leads to a stone hallway with a door at the end. That door then leads to another stone hallway, and on, and on, and on. [3] Though this all seems like a huge chore you feel the breeze getting stronger. Confidently you rush forward and swing the last door open.
Taking notice of your surroundings you see a little girl sitting at a wooden table. [5] "Hi, S-s-s-sir!" She says, stuttering at the last word. You notice that her tongue is forked.. +1 Persuasion [6] Looking around you notice a large hole near the wall. This is likely where the breeze is coming from, luckily it's big enough for you to fit through. As you prepare to lift yourself up you hear a slithering behind you. "Mis-s-s-ster, where are you going?"
BATTLE

Try again, this time licking my finger and turning towards thhe side that feels colder when I hold it up.

[6] You lick your finger and hold it up. After some time you can determine that the breeze is coming from both rooms! Lucky you, you learned a lot.

I'll be Joe with the axe and iron armor, If there's still room.
Try to find an exit or secret passage

[2] You think that if there's a secret passage the stone should be hollow. You go around banging your fists against the walls, floors and even the doors. You determine there is space behind Door X and Door Y.

Adrian leather armor and axe

You pick up that set of equipment, strapping the leather armor on and holding the axe. You can go through Door Y or Door X.

I'm lowering the health to five, since that is really long for a battle against a small girl.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5