Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is toady adding dark fortresses in the new update?  (Read 2208 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
Is toady adding dark fortresses in the new update?
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »

Along with the forest retreats and mountain homes? I haven't heard anything about it but I am wondering. This next update IS the city update after all.
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is toady adding dark fortresses in the new update?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:46:57 pm »

i keep seeing references to an upcoming update, where do people find the info on this?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:48:45 pm »

The main DF page has Toady's most recent developments, as well as the DF talks.

Don't know about anything but human villages actually-- although if he's doing dwarf/elf housing, I don't see why the goblins wouldn't be getting it too.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:01:13 pm »

No sorry for misleading I meant is he going to re add dark fortresses ALONG with elf retreats and dorf homes because i have heard nothing about it.
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:08:42 pm »

No. I've heard they might be re-implemented at some point during the army arc, and maybe it will get added earlier if Toady feels like it but it's definitely not going into this release.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:33:11 pm »

None of the old settlements are going in the next release, and probably not for a while. Cities are getting updated, but just the human ones.

However, necromancers will live in big ol' dark towers for you to raid, although they'll be a bit different from the goblin towers (Toady described them as "zombie piñatas).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:55:19 pm »

No sorry for misleading I meant is he going to re add dark fortresses ALONG with elf retreats and dorf homes because i have heard nothing about it.
Dark fortresses will come at the same time as the elf retreats and dwarf homes, yes. However the upcoming release is not that time.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 05:54:16 am »

Given that human cities are now wonderfully complex, creating race-specific city and fortress designs, for three races, is going to be a pretty epic endeavor. The necessary framework and blue print has been created with human cities I think, and he's going to tweak that to get the various other kinds of cities. He's been talking about Elven Tree Cities forever, and that they would require some kind of special re-write to work.

So all in all locations for the other races are going to take just as long I think, to do all three, as it did to get human cities working. On top of all the OTHER crap that's in the army arc, we're not going to see these for some time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 05:58:11 am »

I don't know how well this will work with our new, beautifully-detailed cities, but I know in the current version you can mod goblins to live in human settlements, with a few bugs...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:40:48 pm »

Does anyone know what he has talked about adding in the army arc? a link would be appreciated.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:06:19 pm »

I don't know how well this will work with our new, beautifully-detailed cities, but I know in the current version you can mod goblins to live in human settlements, with a few bugs...
i hope he leaves the current housing system in so that we can keep giving goblins and elves towns to live in if we choose, without them having the same new wonderfully complex cities.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 01:11:30 pm »

The Army Arc plans are too large for one link to contain them all. :p

A very good bet go to the stuff listed under Military and Fortress Starting Scenarios listed on the current dev page here. The army arc is also mentioned in DF Talk 11 (and tangentially others, such as 12 and 13, with regards to the hill dwarves and government types), where it shows that the army arc should also be strong on politics and politicking.

The dev_next page here is outdated (and hard to read), but might also be a good indicator of what could come in. Similarly, the dev_single page here.

Basically, we could/should be looking at waging wars, waging politics, political landscapes, nobles waging politics with you, fortress starting scenarios and hill dwarves (helping to get to the worldgen army numbers, among others), putting a stop to sieges ex nihilo, formations, schisms, succession struggles, meeting and joining (or confronting) armies in adventure mode etc etc...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 01:27:36 pm »

All I know is, until dark towers, forest retreats, and mountainhomes are back and working properly, the goblins, dwarves, and elves in my worlds will be modded to live in cities.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 03:37:07 pm »

Woo the army arc sounds freaking great. The only thing that makes me sad is that it's gonna be a few years before we get it :(

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 04:08:50 pm »

No.

Along with the forest retreats and mountain homes? I haven't heard anything about it but I am wondering.
If you do not heard anything, then it will not happen any time soon, if at all. Toady would write in devlog about something like that.

This next update IS the city update after all.
So what, this have nothing to do with dark fortresses and retreats.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.