Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floorgrates?  (Read 804 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floorgrates?
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:45 pm »

so i have a butchers shop which gets Miasmafied so i build a floor grate in the floor above(outside) to allow ventilation, however it is not working,  wiki says "Once linked, it works like a linked door which doesn't stop fluids, arrows or Miasma when closed." however it is not linked, closed and is not letting miasma through.  any suggestions on how to ventilate my refuse stockpile and butchery?

incase it matters, it is an artifact floorgrate
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:19:24 pm by ltprifti »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floorgrates?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:42:50 pm »

Did you channel away the ground and then put the grate on top, or did you just build the grate?  Where is the grate vis a vis the butcher's shop?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:51:44 pm »

Miasma doesn't go up much. A grate above it isn't really going to help. Try funneling it down a side passage or something.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:04:52 pm »

You could link it up to a lever, then pull it if Miasma starts spawning.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 08:53:41 am »

Channel down to your butcher's shop from the surface and then floor it off.  Once exposed to the sunlight it is considered above ground and won't generate miasma.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.