Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Circus civilizations (spoilers)  (Read 770 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circus civilizations (spoilers)
« on: August 09, 2011, 04:22:46 pm »

Right now, demons act more like beasts than like anything intelligent.  That's compatible with some visions of hell, but there are a lot of really interesting visions of hell that involve quite a bit more social structure-- in D&D terms, your lawful evil vs your chaotic evil.

So I am proposing sites, civilizations, and historical figures in hell.

Sites are probably the most difficult, because existing settlement types wouldn't work well.  Maybe castles would work okay, but not towns.  It's also very low priority, since visiting hell doesn't happen really frequently.  It would be easy to see curious structures as settlements, but it would be weird the way they were so regularly distributed across the map.

Civilizations would need a little bit of diversity to allow for conflict. Then you can have wars and historical figures.  It would be cool if there were a few demon types that were specific to certain civilizations, while other demons existed across all or most civilizations.

If you want to add non-demonic megabeasts to hell, there's historical precedent for that (fallen angels vs children of Lilith), and in-game precedent for that, with FBs entering through hell.  Now you have a few more legends.  Maybe an abandoned demonic castle here and there.

Now, after you've done all that, you get to the good part: demonic sieges and ambushes!  For a little bit of end-game after the end-game.  Maybe if you do really well the demons will treat for peace.  Maybe after that they'll send you a merchant.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Circus civilizations (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:36:35 pm »

Yay for D&D's more in-depth alignments.
I guess some demons like the ones who were born from rats and such would still be unintelligent, thus the "kill anything on sight" type (Chaotic Evil), while there could be more... dominating types of demons who would rather force you to become their slaves.
The lawful types could become some sort of NPC King, forcing all other civs to become hostile to you (could cause bugs with your dwarven civ, perhaps adding your units to a new civ?) and mandating items regularly. Also, he might help fight the chaotic demons, or if he's one of the lords of hell (world gen stuff, a line that controls one civ in hell with total control or partial over a specific territory/hell civ). Obviously, if you open hell, the unintelligent rat and such demons would still flood you.
Also, you can also have the option to kill the demon... perhaps causing an almost instant flood of hellspawn. This goes for trap-wise annihilation too, hehe.
I guess this seems like something good, although I believe world gen would drain even more of a computer's processing power.

About settlements, well... perhaps an occasional castle or tower made of slade, but those who build things like that could just go and rule a civilization above ground.
That's my opinion and thoughts, anyway.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 04:43:52 pm »

I don't believe this fits with DF's vision. Adamantine's supposed to open up a can of Fun, not potential trading partners.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:54:29 pm »

I don't believe this fits with DF's vision. Adamantine's supposed to open up a can of Fun, not potential trading partners.

Please don't get me wrong-- I'm not advocating that you punch through the adamantine and find a demonic caravan waiting to enter your fort.  I'm not suggesting any changes to the current punch-through, including the hordes of demons that massacre everything.

What I am suggesting is a change to the way demons behave after you've defeated the hordes.  Right now, they act like large predators.  I would like to see them act more like goblins.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:05:46 pm »

What I am suggesting is a change to the way demons behave after you've defeated the hordes.  Right now, they act like large predators.  I would like to see them act more like goblins.
!!GOBLINS!! with !!WINGS!! and with more !!FIRE!! and !!FUN!!.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:52:46 pm »

The problem with this is that you would be able to embark on a demon town, which you shouldn't be able to do, based on how you can't embark on any other towns.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 06:38:02 am »

The problem with this is that you would be able to embark on a demon town, which you shouldn't be able to do, based on how you can't embark on any other towns.

Forget the "demonic towns" part, concentrate on historic and such named demons. I think the option to "embrace or die" seems good, especially if you don't want to stop for some time. Also, demonic sieges from the underground with armor They could destroy anything in their way up, and you probably didn't trap your mine as much as you trapped the main entrance.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Camper2490

• Bay Watcher
  • Imbibo ergo sum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:50:25 am »

Forget the "demonic towns" part, concentrate on historic and such named demons. I think the option to "embrace or die" seems good, especially if you don't want to stop for some time. Also, demonic sieges from the underground with armor They could destroy anything in their way up, and you probably didn't trap your mine as much as you trapped the main entrance.

Demons have trap avoid, expect fun either way.
The interesting thing about dwarves is that they don't have an immune system, but rather the ability to maintain an extremely high blood alcohol content for extended periods of time.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 10:48:10 am »

if demons  dicover the use of picks we're all screwed.  :'(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:15:56 pm »

Yay for D&D's more in-depth alignments.

And death to the 4e alignment rewrite!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4e defense rant above this.

Anyhow the difference between a Chaotic and Lawful society is that Chaotic societies that arn't just people living together out of conveniance are often just societies where might makes right and a single (or multiple) powerful entities sieze control.

Demons not outright destroying your fort and sending a carrivan makes total sense to me if the demons were organized. Afterall putting you into a stupor for their overall plot sounds like a great idea.

Send you drinks poisoned with subtle poisons that take days to start to kill their victums.