Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Let's Play: Oregon Trail (version 1.2)  (Read 25336 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Oregon Trail (version 1.2)
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2011, 04:33:28 pm »

Legs - breaking them is where its at.
This is a blank sig.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2011, 04:52:57 pm »

Pffft. Starvation is how real men die.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2011, 05:10:29 pm »

Me, I'm going to die by overstuffing myself with roast venison and then rolling into the fire during my meat-induced coma.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2011, 06:13:47 pm »

Pffft. Starvation is how real men die.

Real men know how to hunt. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2011, 07:38:21 pm »

We need more money so that we can deal with disasters and pay for crossings.  Go hunting every few days, bag some meat and sell it.  If you end the trail with less money then you started with, you aren't traveling to the best of your abilities.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2011, 12:43:22 am »

Okay I'm not seeing any real consensus so I'll give you a few options. The first is simply push on at our current grueling pace. The second is to trade - but you don't get to choose what you trade. You choose what you want (in this case, I guess you guys want money, though I don't think I ever even use money after leaving Independence other than possibly a ferry if the conditions of a river are really bad) and the game provides you with someone willing to give it to you in exchange for something. They might ask for food, or they might ask for all our oxen or spare wagon parts. Also, most of the other settlers on the trail don't seem to carry a lot of money - I put in $1 to see what they'd ask for and I got the message "Sorry, but no one around here's got $1 to spare." If you want to trade, it'll have to be for something besides money.

And no, this is not the last fort. There are three more, pretty evenly spaced until we get to Oregon.

So what do you guys wanna do?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2011, 02:28:22 am »

Continue on then, gruelingly. Might as well save our dosh for desperation measures.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2011, 07:15:19 am »

Lighten up the pace until health improves.  Also the thing with trading is that you can ask for it repeatedly.  Nobody has $20 to spare the first time, but spam it a few times and you'll get someone with $20 just begging for your delicious meat.  Give it to them and keep giving it to them until you finish.  Remember, this is a video game about two things, violence and giving people your meat.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2011, 11:24:11 am »

I don't really care about money. Although getting some more non-spoilable food sounds good.

Otherwise, push on!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2011, 11:45:01 am »

Money is cool. What's more American than a pile of crisp bank note?

You're not anti-american, are you?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2011, 01:07:42 pm »

HERESY!!!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2011, 08:14:13 am »

I'll update this soon, been busy. I probably won't do the money thing because it's too tedious to keep trying and hardly seems worth it. I see two votes for carrying on at this speed and one for slowing down to strenuous - anyone else want to cast a vote on that one before I continue?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2011, 03:59:52 am »

Keep on going, they said. Don't slow down, they said. Well now we've got a broken wheel. How much time have we really saved if we have to spend a day fixing the stupid thing? I suppose we could just replace it from supplies - we do have three of the things.

So, shall we stop for a day and save those wheels for points at the end, or just replace it and push onwards as though there were elephants on our tail?

EDIT: Note that I can't stop and save the file until I make a decision here, so if I don't get any answers within an hour or so, I'll just make an executive decision and carry on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2011, 04:02:46 am »

there were elephants on our tail?

Many a wagon train were lost to rampaging herds of American Plains Elephants. We should fix it as soon as possible from the supplies, that's what they're there for!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2011, 04:56:09 am »

One of the spare wheels is roughly pulled out from under a dozing Monkey and rolled around to where the broken one is being pulled off. Yuuko keeps whispering to hurry. They're coming, he says. I can hear them. Can't you feel their footsteps shaking the ground?

Maybe it's just mass hysteria, but maybe we really do feel the earth starting to shake, as though giant footsteps were coming towards us. The replacement is thrown on as quickly as possible and we break away at a run.

So quickly, in fact, that we don't pay attention to where the trail is. Oh, great. Now we're lost in elephant country.

We spend two days trying to wander back to the trail. Yuuko suffers from several noogies and indian sunburns for making us panic that way.

At least we can take the opportunity away from the beaten path to hunt down some delicious buffalo!

Unfortunately, we seem to also be a ways away from the buffalo's grazing areas. However, Urist manages to shoot enough of those tiny deer-like things (antelope?) that we have more meat than we can all carry back to the wagon.

After a few more days we manage to make it to Independence Rock without further damage to ourselves or our property.

It's apparently so named because if you don't reach this rock by Independence Day (July 4), you're behind schedule on your way to Oregon. Fortunately for us, we're way ahead of schedule. Also, it appears to be one of the country's oldest graffiti walls.

So we'll take a short break here. Anyone have any ideas to bring up, now's the time!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7