Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Let's Play: Oregon Trail (version 1.2)  (Read 25339 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Let's Play: Oregon Trail (version 1.2)
« on: August 09, 2011, 04:15:57 pm »

Hi all, I just enjoyed Sensei's LP of the ol' Oregon Trail and since I realized my version is slightly higher than his (I've got 1.2!) and there seems to be some differences in the mechanics, I thought we could all do another one: second verse, same as the first, a little bit louder and with a little more dysentery. I'll take the first 5 names I'm given, and major decisions like profession, speed of movement, shopping list, and whatnot will be more or less by vote.

Introduction:

Select your name and profession:

When shall we set out?

And what shall we purchase from the store?

I took the shop screen shot with a banker - the amount we have to spend will depend on the profession we select. Keep in mind that in this version, rations purchased from the store will last for ages, but meat that we hunt on the trail will spoil relatively quickly. For more information you can check Sensei's LP, he's got some more details there and almost everything is the same.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Oregon Trail (version 1.2)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:19:47 pm »

watch posting also to sentence rearrangement required be may.
*Hugs*

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 04:41:49 pm »

Posting to watch every die horribly.

Also, name somebody Urist, as we are on the Bay 12 forums.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:42:36 pm »

Alright, great to see you doing this Sappho! Since it's a less complex game it hopefully won't cut too much into your time; I know working 12 hours a day can be really rough. :-\

Also, just like with Sensei what we start out with really depends on how difficult you want the game to be. Going the teacher route will make the game the hardest, but you've already said you can beat the game with a Farmer (albeit with hilarious disease-related deaths) so I think you're certainly talented enough to do a teacher run. If you do decide to do it, I'll recommend the same list of things to buy I did in Sensei's thread.

Otherwise if you want something easier/different, allow me to present:

For what month to leave I believe April is the best option, maybe May if you do something like above and travel quickly. Otherwise again it depends on how difficult you want the game to be-embarking in August is hard mode.

I'll leave the naming to everyone else. (But I do support USEC_OFFICER's idea of naming someone Urist XD )

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck with it Sappho! ^^

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:21:43 pm »

Saddle-maker! That's a new one to me. I'd say go for that, or for teacher. Special advantages? Bah!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:26:03 pm »

Anyone else want to contribute a name or vote as to when we leave and what we buy? I've beaten the game many times even as a teacher in the past, though it's been a while, but I'm happy to go an easier route if you're more worried about survival than score. If I don't get enough names, I'll use the usernames of people who've posted on here... :)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:28:34 pm »

If you're not opposed to Japanese names I'll take a Yuuko.
Because it's always funny seeing yourself die of dysentery :P
*Hugs*

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 04:35:56 pm »

If a place could be given to me to act as some kind of snakebite magnet, it would be cool.
This is a blank sig.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 05:36:46 pm »

We need a small boy named Timmy.

So he can be "et" by the wolves or drown fording the rivers.

I remember buying as much ammo and extra wagon parts as I could carry, and hunting the whole time for food. Made for plenty of tough and "fun" family decisions :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:41:15 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 05:43:45 pm »

I recommend you go with Teacher. If you've beat the game before, you'll want to make it as challenging as possible. Otherwise it'll be like my run where nobody was in serious jeopardy of dying, which wasn't terribly entertaining.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 06:25:33 am »

Urist McCharzy be my name
Let's be Teachers.

Also:

1 oxen.
No bullets
Final destination.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 02:07:21 pm »

Okay, for names I've got:

Urist
Yuuko
Monkey
Timmy
McChar

Profession: Teacher
Start Time: April

I don't want to do anything extreme without a group consensus, and I'll assume that we'll at least make an effort at surviving here, but I have beaten the game countless times, so I'll go for a standard average beginning shopping list:

This uses most of our money, should give us everything we need, and leaves $10 for emergencies.

Welcome to Independence, Missouri!

How shall we carry on our journey?

Pace: Steady / Strenuous / Grueling
Meals: Filling / Meager / Bare Bones

My rule of thumb for hunting is to go once every time our food falls below 100. It used to be below 200, but food spoils too quickly. Does that sound ok to everyone? Anyone have anything to add? If not, we'll set out once I have a few replies to our starting situation.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 02:08:27 pm »

Sounds good to me.
*Hugs*

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 02:39:30 pm »

Sappho, you mentioned food spoiling more often in this version so I'll trust you to know what you're doing when it comes to hunting. The only problem will be there are stretches without big game, with could cause problems with low food. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Just like with Sensei I think the best settings in general are always filling meals with Strenuous or Steady Pace depending on the health of our members, but if you want to go for Nightmare Mode you could always set it to Grueling and see how it goes from there.

Whatever you decide, good luck Sappho! ^^

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »

Grueling, filling.
Trust me.
If people die, don't worry, just keep on grueling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7