Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed Results Change From 33a to 33b  (Read 474 times)

Stormcaller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seed Results Change From 33a to 33b
« on: November 24, 2007, 08:22:00 pm »

I've got a favorite seed that I wanted to use for a new world, since the old one had already got a fortress going where I wanted to start a new (improved one). I input the seed number, title, and name the same as the original, but the resulting map in 33b was significantly different than the one that I generated. I haven't tested this with other seeds, but this is rather dissatisfying as I was quite happy with that particular world, and I'd really rather not have to generate a new world in 33, save it, then transfer the region to 33b or 33c to use the same map.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seed Results Change From 33a to 33b
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

Perhaps it was chance that your seeds worked well the first time and not so well the second?
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>Perhaps it was chance that your seeds worked well the first time and not so well the second?</STRONG>

He's talking about the random seed value for generating a world, not plantable seeds and spawn.

Stormcaller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »

Exactly. Same seed number, different results.

djp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 10:49:00 pm »

I got the same results from a seed in 33a and 33b, so I'd check the seed value (use the legends screen). Also make sure you selected the same options - if the name was random the first time it must be random the second, etc.

Don't expect the ores to be in exactly the same place though, many of these seem to be assigned later and so will use the seed state at the time they are generated.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 11:09:00 pm »

remember: you must NOT enter the old world's name into the name field.
If the name was randomly generated for the old world, it MUST be randomly generated for the new world also, or else the worlds will differ.
The name will turn out the same on the new world, assuming the seeds were the same.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Stormcaller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »

I created the name, and it's not just a change in mineral placement. There's major geographic features that differ. The world was originally generated in 33, and then transferred to 33a without a problem (just cut & paste of the region folder), but attempting to generate a new one in 33b resulted in a different map. Title, name, and seed are all the same- I tried it multiple times.