Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: ADOM: The crying game  (Read 15747 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM: The crying game
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2011, 08:46:32 pm »

Aww, but I don't want to kill the healer! :(

Can I... Can I change my alignment? Yes, the wiki says I can, with an altar.

ED: Well, the point just became moot as I was killed by a minotaur. WELP.

Well you're dead so it's too late but... what I do if I don't find an altar is kill the crime lord in holeinthewall which gives you a nice lawful boost, then tell the sheriff in terenyo and he gives you a deputy badge (blessed amulet of law). Wear that sucker and it pulls your alignment up - warning, if you are chaotic, it burns which does minor damage and can kill you (eventually) so just run in circles around the healer with it on, having him heal you when you're close to death. Once you hit N- he will teach you, and plus the amulet won't hurt you anymore (it just itches after that point) so you can go all the way to L+ easily after that.

the bandit leader is really easy to kill if you picked long stride (you really should always pick this anyway) and any sort of ranged attack (stockpile rocks and use a sling if you have to). Don't try to melee him because you WILL lose. He's also worth a decent chunk of EXP so even if you are N or L already (or even C and already finished his quests) you might as well kill him at some point.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:49:04 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2011, 05:03:45 am »

How does unarmed damage hold up compared to weapons? I've got this tenth-level gray elven monk who gets +26 to hit and 1d18+6 to damage with her fists, and really nothing to compare that to.

EDIT:
Also, how many different ways are there to deal with cursed items? I've been stuck with a useless leather girdle and want to switch to a different girdle. Also body armour.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:27:49 am by Soadreqm »

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2011, 07:14:02 am »

I want a character that can actually finish the game.
Could anybody give me pointers on what to choose and what to do?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2011, 08:13:30 am »

How does unarmed damage hold up compared to weapons? I've got this tenth-level gray elven monk who gets +26 to hit and 1d18+6 to damage with her fists, and really nothing to compare that to.

EDIT:
Also, how many different ways are there to deal with cursed items? I've been stuck with a useless leather girdle and want to switch to a different girdle. Also body armour.

Your monk is doing pretty well. An average long sword, for instance does 1d8+Str bonus. Now, something like an eternium two-handed sword of devastation is still going to outwallop your monk for a while, but the nice thing with monks is that their damage output goes up as they level. A high-level monk can be a terrifying asskicker. Yours is probably hindered by being a grey elf (the least brawny race in the game, 'cept for maybe hurthlings) but will be compensated by a better ability to learn and use magic. And crazy high dexterity.

As far as dealing with cursed items:
1. Take off and drop all other items and read a scroll of item destruction.
2. Scroll of uncursing. If you read a blessed scroll of uncursing, it'll remove the curse from all worn items.
3. Dip it in holy water (which changes the 'cursed' status to 'blessed'). Holy water is relatively easy to come by once you have a co-aligned altar.
4. If it's metallic, you can try to let a rust monster rust it until it disintegrates.
5. If it's a weapon (or gloves, if you go weaponless), you can try hitting gray oozes with it until it disintegrates.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2011, 07:21:02 am »

I usually just go to the ToEF to burn them off.

Anyway: Whats the best race and talents for monks?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2011, 08:51:39 am »

I usually just go to the ToEF to burn them off.
That's a good trick. Hadn't thought of that, although I wouldn't recommend it for a low-level character.

Anyway: Whats the best race and talents for monks?
Since monk damage is level-dependent, you want XP and high carrying capacity (any level of burden wipes out your martial arts bonuses). Obviously, troll monk is not made of win (although if you could eventually level one up, the strength and constitution bonuses would make them a brute and they'd have the carrying capacity to be doing flying dragon kicks in full plate mail).

I usually go with humans (no XP penalty) or high-elves (very minor XP penalty plus some resistances and dex/learn bonus). Dwarves also work well, and they're a bit easier to keep alive in the early game. Orcs make for an interesting choice, because you get brownie points for sacrificing weapons, and as a monk melee weapons are generally useless to you.

As far as talents:

Good Learner is CRUCIAL, since it's actually a +40% bonus to xp instead of the listed +2%. (Don't get Great Learner, as it's bugged and actually reduces the bonus back down to +20%.). As stated before, XP is your bread and butter as a monk.

Porter/Master Packager/Beast of Burden is a very useful talent set as well, because you want to keep that carrying capacity as high as possible. Girdles of Carrying are your best friend as a monk.

Quick/Very Quick/Greased Lightning are always useful, but as a monk you'll be pretty light on your feet anyways.

Brawler isn't worth it. +2 to hit is minor, and it's a waste of a talent pick.

Defensive Fighter and associated defense-boosting talents aren't that useful because Unarmed Fighting gives you boosts to DV anyways.

Hardy/Tough Skin/Iron Skin/Steel Skin on the other hand, gives you much-needed PV boosts. Since you're not likely to be wearing good PV armor, unless you find an elven chain mail or wear Rehetep's robes, these can save your life against something like quicklings that almost always hit regardless of DV. If you're a dwarven monk, you can go up to Mithril Skin which gives you a +3 to PV.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2011, 09:45:16 am »

Re: dealing with cursed items - ratling fencers can take care of any cursed weapon you're wielding. Not recommended for low-level characters though.

I want a character that can actually finish the game.
Could anybody give me pointers on what to choose and what to do?
My personal favourite is Human Barbarian, but I also won with Gnome Elementalist. As for what to do(with a barbarian) - I always did the dungeons in this order: puppy cave-(hunting for Kranach if he's still around - ask sheriff)-small cave(can't wait any longer or you'll die on the first level due to being too experienced; also, use any means you've got to rush to the next level down)-carpenter's cave(need bridge building manual)-foreboding tunnel with
Also:

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2011, 11:57:36 am »

My personal favourite is Human Barbarian, but I also won with Gnome Elementalist. As for what to do(with a barbarian) - I always did the dungeons in this order: puppy cave-(hunting for Kranach if he's still around - ask sheriff)-small cave(can't wait any longer or you'll die on the first level due to being too experienced; also, use any means you've got to rush to the next level down)-carpenter's cave(need bridge building manual)-foreboding tunnel with
Also:

Interesting...I often make some rather different choices.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2011, 01:41:32 pm »

You can't really rely on ice bolts as an alternative to bridges when you're playing a barbarian. The sheer weight of weapons and armour you're going to be wearing is bound to break the ice.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2011, 01:58:45 pm »

There's only one place in the game where a bridge is absolutely required, and there shouldn't be a combat on the other side. Drop everything so you're below 1000s, cross over, get the ring, come back.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2011, 09:37:50 pm »

Another quick question: Can someone explain Priests, Druids and Elementalists to me please? They don't make much sense and I don't know how to play them or what their strengths are.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2011, 11:02:15 pm »

You use them to zap things.

Priests get the useful Detect Item Status skill, and get more piety bonus from sacrificing to their deities. They don't usually start with a particularly useful spellbook, though, so you'll probably have to melee in the beginning. On the other hand, I think they're the most durable caster you can get.

Druids always get Lightning Bolt, and natural, unsummoned animals are peaceful to them. They also get nature skills, which are not that big of a deal. They always start out N=, which can help various races be able to get the quests/rewards that they couldn't otherwise.

Elementalists automatically learn some offensive spells, but I don't think they find spellbooks as often as other casters and their skills are not great. However, you'll practically never run out of castings of your cheaper spells like Burning Hands.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:10:15 pm by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2011, 11:38:15 am »

I am a bit late, but for those using the bridge building skill, seriously, just don't :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, for those hating on the Sherrif - IMO Human Archers are the best characters for entering Terinyo at level one and not leaving until all the villagers are dead.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2011, 09:09:02 am »

Drakeling monk is also pretty nice.  Drakeling gives you a nice acid range attack and the monks innate hunger reduction synergizes well with it.  Since you get a penalty for using shields, just use a great 2 hand weapon.  You could also try 2 weapon fighting, but that has a lot of hit penalties early on.  Also monks can cast spells with a little bit of work and that can be a big lifesaver.  Just don't expect to cast some of the more advanced stuff.  Still being able to book cast spells like darkness and strength of atlas are super useful.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2011, 12:41:38 pm »

I wonder what some of the worst race/class combos are. Just to have a fun time trying them later.

<Any> Elf Fighter?
Hurthling Monk?
Troll Elementalist(this one is actually a pretty bad choice, Elems need levels to gain spells)?
Troll Healer? Troll Farmer? :P

I'd try Dwarf Druid, but I know that particular combination will probably destroy the universe. Impossible paradoxes and all.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8