Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: ADOM: The crying game  (Read 15760 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM: The crying game
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2011, 05:29:29 am »

m    Use special ability

That should be it.

Says no special ability is available.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2011, 06:56:38 am »

m    Use special ability

That should be it.

I think the spit isn't available initially but it's been ages since I played so I could be wrong...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2011, 07:13:38 am »

m    Use special ability

That should be it.

I think the spit isn't available initially but it's been ages since I played so I could be wrong...
It is. Though it makes you hungry. And with ADOM's strange insistance on making corpses randomly dissapear, it can become a problem.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2011, 07:21:13 am »

m    Use special ability

That should be it.

It is. Though it makes you hungry. And with ADOM's strange insistance on making corpses randomly dissapear, it can become a problem.

"Strange"? Maybe "strange" if you compare it to the real world, but pretty standard as Roguelikes go - NetHack has it, Crawl has it, just about every *band that has corpses has it... Probably abstraction of a situation where the body was mangled beyond edibility.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2011, 07:59:49 am »

Probably abstraction of a situation where the body was mangled beyond edibility.
That doesn't make any sense. :|

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2011, 08:06:25 am »

Probably abstraction of a situation where the body was mangled beyond edibility.

I think it does make a lot of sense, at least from a gameplay point of view.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2011, 08:15:20 am »

So you'd rather starve to death than eat a corpse because it's mangled? There's no such thing as "mangled beyond edibility". This is just a bullshit way of increasing difficulty.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2011, 08:27:09 am »

So you'd rather starve to death than eat a corpse because it's mangled? There's no such thing as "mangled beyond edibility". This is just a bullshit way of increasing difficulty.

Oh yes there is. If you puncure the gallbladder the meat may become contaminated with bile, and you'd probably have immense difficulty eating that even if starving.

But it's not a bullshit way of increasing difficulty. Hunger clock is a good way for increasing difficulty (and preventing scumming) and having all creatures drop edible corpses effectively ruins it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:29:43 am by Kay12 »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2011, 08:57:25 am »

Oh yes there is. If you puncure the gallbladder the meat may become contaminated with bile, and you'd probably have immense difficulty eating that even if starving.

But it's not a bullshit way of increasing difficulty. Hunger clock is a good way for increasing difficulty (and preventing scumming) and having all creatures drop edible corpses effectively ruins it.
Really? All of it? If the gallbladder gets punctured then you can no longer eat the meat like off the limbs? And it's impossible to clean or even cut off the parts that came into contact with it? You generally don't have to eat the whole damn corpse to stop yourself from starving.

And yeah, it's still bullshit because it's based on utterly random chance. Even when trudging through as fast as possible I sometimes ended up only ever getting kobold corpses.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2011, 09:02:19 am »

Heh, it's not all random. It's biased, at least in NetHack. Most human-sized and larger monsters always leave corpses.

But anyway, I have no fricking idea why those corpses disappear, but it doesn't bother me because it's a part of the game's difficulty. If it's too hard for you, you should play some other game.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2011, 01:25:07 pm »

Also I've officially had my first death from being sacrificed by a goblin. Didn't know they could do it from across the room like that.
If they can see you(and can speak), they can instakill you via sacrifice. I think it requires a co-aligned altar, though. So watch out fighting around Chaotic altars.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2011, 01:32:06 pm »

Also I've officially had my first death from being sacrificed by a goblin. Didn't know they could do it from across the room like that.
If they can see you(and can speak), they can instakill you via sacrifice. I think it requires a co-aligned altar, though. So watch out fighting around Chaotic altars.

Quite justifiable, as you can do it as well. The Dwarftown demon quest is way too easy because of this...

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2011, 02:17:49 pm »

Standing on a chaotic altar is just dangerous - 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For people complaining about the food situation - honestly, there is shit loads of food in ADOM. The Crawl food clock is way worse. Head to Terinyo, buy as many large rations as you can, and don't spend any time wandering around the wilderness when you don't need to - cutting down time in the Wilderness is a good idea anyway, what with the whole 90 day thing.

And play hurthlings. Then you will be swimming in food.

edit: oh yeah, and don't wander around burdened or strained(!). That increases your food consumption as well as slowing you down
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:22:33 pm by vogonpoet »
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2011, 03:05:15 pm »

Just had a good character be destroyed by reading an "IBM manual scroll" - it causes permanent confusion. I'd never run into that before.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2011, 03:17:34 pm »

Did you try prayer?
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8