Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some questions about the Military System  (Read 2275 times)

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions about the Military System
« on: August 08, 2011, 05:49:50 pm »

Hey hey guys! I'm very much new to the game, and after just losing my cool fort to a puny 5-man gobbo ambush (I had 10 guys on the military, all clad in full iron armor, and all had warhammers, but they werent very trained...) I've decided to pay more attention to the military.

Started this new fort, and decided to start training quick. And here's where I stumbled into a doubt: I assigned a full iron uniform for my dorfs. Will they still pick up training spears?
Also, I've read around the forums that spears are the best weapons for my noobish figters. Is that so?

Also, I humbly ask you some pointers on how to defend a fresh fortress! :)

Thanks!

(also, how do I know how old is the fort? o_O)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about the Military System
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:56:46 pm »

They won't need training spears equipped for actual training. They'll just hit eachother with actual weapons, but softly.

Which is amazing weapon control for a fresh recruit.

I always prefer to recruit dwarves who have an amount of experience in handling weapons and/or dwarves who are strong, tough, non-essential and who preferably have a weapon preference.

If your fort isn't too old, you could check the battle report or other report screen and go to the oldest. For example, my oldest battle report is a honey badger fighting my hunter. They were biting eachother in the head.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:16:33 pm »

I dont have any actual weapons yet, as I haven't found iron yet. Just Galena (which turns into silver...). I dont wanna assign training spears through the menu, as I fear they may get attached to em lol :P

Also, isn't there a calendar feature, or something like that?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:19:52 pm »

There is a calendar but it shows the current month and year, not any previous ones. Via "z" you can see the current month and year. If I'm not mistaken it's in the top right.

For a more accurate representation of the months you can check in your military training schedules as well. It has all the months listed and also specifies the current one.

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:39:27 pm »

Jeez...Can't find iron anywhere. Dug 15~ layers so far, and nothing :(

How does silver armor/weapons fare? :PP

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 06:40:37 pm »

Silver is, due to weight, pretty decent for Hammers, Maces and Crossbows. Edge-weapons or pointy weapons aren't very useful in silver and silver armour can't be made without modding.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:46:21 pm »

Part of your issue may have been your weapon choice. Iron isn't too great for hammers, and blunt weapons in general aren't fantastic.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 08:54:47 pm »

I see, I see. (Warhammers just sound so cool though =[ )

I was owning trolls left and right, and that gave me a sense of security lol.

Now I'm waiting on caravans to bring weapons, or at least other metals...

(btw, thanks for yall helping me!)

What kinds of weapons do you guys suggest?

edit: found gold! should I mint coins, or just make some crafts to be traded for tons of moneyz?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:57:59 pm by Silly Theory »

Alchemical Engineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 10:12:28 pm »

Coins aren't useful in the current version - you're better off making crafts or valuable furniture (for happy thoughts) with the gold.

I'm learning the hard way that you should preferentially select recruits based on their traits for fast recovering time from injuries and good disease resistance. Eventually, your recruits will make up for starting a few weapon or dodge levels behind the other guy - but those health qualities stay with you forever! It would suck for your legendary Axe Lord to succumb to a bunch of infections after the fight...

I like mixing in axes, spears, and hammers. Since you have galena, good hammers won't be an issue for you. Make some steel axes (for relieving goblins of their limbs) and spears (for penetrating forgotten beast flesh) and you'll have an excellent all-around army. Marksdwarves with crossbows are ideal when placed in towers or other "sniper spots" safely tucked behind fortifications. In a general melee battle, the marksdwarves will run into the fray and likely get killed.

Consider investing in war dogs. They won't do a lot of damage to armored goblins, but they distract the goblins and take hits that might otherwise maim your soldiers. Don't assign all war dogs to one dwarf. The assigned dwarf adopts the dogs, and if he loses all ten of his dogs he could start tantruming. Spread the love (or misery, depending on your point of view).

Many people on the forums advise training in small squads (three members) to increase skills faster. Make sure you look up scheduling on the wiki or elsewhere and set the minimum dwarves for training to two in the case of a squad of three. Make your best teachers the squad leaders.

Use cage traps while you set up your growing army and use the captives as live training. Don't fight a real battle until your soldiers are around level 6 or so (maybe even higher). Enemy weapon masters are to be treated with caution until you have weapon lords of your own. Look up prisoner disarming for safer live training.

Finally, I strongly advise that you do not fall to the temptations of the Dark Side and resort to using !!Danger Rooms!! If they are ever removed from the game, you will have lost a crutch and will be back to square one for learning to use the military interface for training, etc.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 11:09:15 pm »

blunt weapons in general aren't fantastic.

When you have only silver, and goblin christmas comes for the first time, you'll be damn glad when you have silver blunt weapons.

But yeah, blunt weapons are craptacular for unarmored targets, at least compared to swords, axes and spears. Spears are best for large targets (dragons, etc.), swords are above average for nearly everything, and axes are just perfect for lopping off limbs.

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:40 pm »

Axedorf squad incoming!

:D

YAY just crafted artifact golden warhammer :DD

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 11:38:37 pm »

I generally use military as my exclusive defense (no walling in (at least one three-wide opening), no traps, and no danger room).

My method is to have at least two, sometimes three, melee squads for every one ranged squad (except at first, my first squad is melee and my second is ranged, after that I try to stick to the ratio).  I try to have blunt weapons, axes and spears (for reasons listed in posts above) and usually have groups of ten and have them set to train every other month. 

I set my courtyard (partly walled in area on the surface) so enemies will come through the front gates and clash with my melee squads while my archers rain arrows down from above, seems to work pretty well.

I also use war dogs; as others mentioned they aren't great in a fight but they add additional targets and sometimes get in a lucky hit.  I pasture them at my gate entrance so they aren't assigned to any dwarf (thus no sad thoughts if they die).  When the enemy hits they'll naturally attack a hostile creature nearby and during the regular shift they are good for spotting goblins and other thieves who try to sneak in.

I generally micro-manage two or three military squads and the rest I just set up with a basic uniform set and leave them alone, they serve as fodder for most battles.  For my main squads I try to keep them updated with ideal weapons/armor (aside from what you can make sometimes you find better weapons from enemies or can buy them, then I just assign the specific weapon/armor to the recruit I want).  I also try to keep an eye on traits (fast healing, tough, etc) for dwarves I pick for those squads.  My 'infantry' squads (the non-microed ones) are generally just superfluous dwarves from later migrant pools.  When in combat they get to go up front to absorb the initial attacks and distract the enemy while my main squad attacks.  Its cold, but when you don't use traps, turtleing, or danger rooms you need every advantage you can get.

As far as materials go, steel is ideal of course, and in general silver is better for blunt iron for bladed, etc, I'm sure the wiki is full of details.  I just go with what I have.  Early on it may be copper, even bone, but anything is better then nothing.  In my fort right now I was lucky enough to find iron and will get that going as soon as I get my basics up and running, but in the fort before that (eaten by nightwings..) I had to make do with less for a while.

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 11:41:31 pm »

Oh, gods. seven 13 gobbo ambush.

What's that talk about reclaiming fortresses? :(

Dear Armok...from 60~ dorfs to 13. Managed to keep my legendaries, mostly, but the bloodshed was horrible. My leader/broker/bookkeeper/aprraiser/trader is gonna tantrum, I bet.

:(

Off to make 40 tombs.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:28:27 am by Silly Theory »

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 12:09:36 am »

Oh, gods. seven 13 gobbo ambush.

What's that talk about reclaiming fortresses? :(

Dear Armok...from 60~ dorfs to 13. Managed to keep my legendaries, mostly, but the bloodshed was horrible. My leader/broker/bookkeeper/aprraiser/trader is gonna tantrum, I bet.

:(

Er, can someone plz remove this? Did this unintentionally.

Sorry!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:18:40 am by Silly Theory »

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 12:32:32 am »

Axedorf squad incoming!

:D

YAY just crafted artifact golden warhammer :DD
How well does it perform? I've never had the luck to get a golden blunt weapon. I mean, it isn't too far from platinum's density, so it should be around the second best material for a hammer.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.
Pages: [1] 2