Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Some questions about the Military System  (Read 2272 times)

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about the Military System
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 12:45:52 am »

Axedorf squad incoming!

:D

YAY just crafted artifact golden warhammer :DD
How well does it perform? I've never had the luck to get a golden blunt weapon. I mean, it isn't too far from platinum's density, so it should be around the second best material for a hammer.

I actually have no clue. The battle was such a mess that I couldn't follow the fights...Soon as I get a migrant wave and insta-make em all a big scary squad, I'll give it to someone and go kill some troglodytes, so I can test it.

:)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 02:15:35 am »

A golden warhammer sounds bloody impressive and hideously Dwarvish. At least, standard fantasy dwarvish. It should be pretty decent though, what with the high weight and the whopping artifact modifier.

It might be a good idea to set up cage and weapon traps as an extra line of defence. It's always a good idea to thin out the enemy ranks a bit before the clash.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Alchemical Engineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 02:52:31 am »

Grats on the gold hammer!

and usually have groups of ten and have them set to train every other month.

Just out of curiosity and because I am currently examining squad number for my own training, do your squads of ten train at a reasonable pace? As you said though, most of your squads are designed to be fodder. But what about the micromanaged squads? When you go about replacing micromanaged casualties, do you train new squads from the ground up or put new recruits (or good lucky partying-whenever-there-was-trouble fodder soldiers) into the old micromanaged squads?

I typically train two months on, one month off. I experience the escalating patrol anger bug, so one month on, one month off doesn't seem to help me much. I like the idea of putting the war dogs in a pasture - it acts as a less efficient trap entrance and is simultaneously a decent source of meat, bone, and leather . . .

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 01:16:10 pm »

Update on fort:

after the disastrous gobbo ambush (killed about 40 dorfs), I managed to keep things stable. My smartguy (trader broker etc) was gonna tantrum, so I relieved him off all duties for a bit. Gave him time to dine in the legendary dining halls, sleep on his legendary bedroom etc.

Was down to 13 dorfs.

Got a migrant wave with the msg "despite the danger, some migrants have arrived". That was awesome, because I needed people to haul gobbo equips inside, needed a new woodcutter, and etc.

I had more than enough bedrooms.

Ok, so I had just started a new militia (still, with no armor, just some weapons, the Artifact Golden Hammer included) and got a new 4-gobbo ambush.

This time I had set 2 different squads. One had 4 dorfs, one had 3. I split em up, sent em to get half the gobbos each.

Killed them in no time o_O. Had one casuality only, the rest of them is ok.

Also, this time, I took the time to burrow everyone else inside, and it really paid off. Only lost ONE civilian, that was rushing inside and got hacked to pieces by a gobbo.
The warhammer guy had no military training and no armor. He killed 3 of the 4 gobbos.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 01:33:44 pm »

Just out of curiosity and because I am currently examining squad number for my own training, do your squads of ten train at a reasonable pace? As you said though, most of your squads are designed to be fodder. But what about the micromanaged squads? When you go about replacing micromanaged casualties, do you train new squads from the ground up or put new recruits (or good lucky partying-whenever-there-was-trouble fodder soldiers) into the old micromanaged squads?

I haven't done any kind of comparison to see what the ideal level is, but they hold up pretty well.  When they died they were mostly all either adequate or experienced at whatever their attack style was and nearly all started raw. 

I typically train two months on, one month off. I experience the escalating patrol anger bug, so one month on, one month off doesn't seem to help me much.

I don't have any issues with anger/tantrums with my military using the one month on/one month off setup, never tried two months on.

I like the idea of putting the war dogs in a pasture - it acts as a less efficient trap entrance and is simultaneously a decent source of meat, bone, and leather . . .

I use Fortress Defense II and as of now you can butcher some of the more lowly creatures (beak wolves, stranglers, etc) so leather and such aren't hard to come by, even without that its easy to get from caravans for a song.  That said yes by making use of the pasture feature to keep your war dogs by the entrance you can spot stealth enemies, assist in defense, and not have to worry about any dwarves becoming overly attached.

Slightly OT, but another useful pasture feature is to pasture cats to your food stores.  They kill all the vermin that would otherwise eat your food and they cannot race around depositing dead things into your fort creating miasma.

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »

I've seen a lotta people suggesting archer towers with fortifications to defend.

How do I make sure the archers stay there? burrow em there? and then command em to shoot down on goobos? Coz militarized dorfs ignore burrows o_O

Any tips on that?

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 05:15:15 pm »

I just stuck them in (locked doors etc). No way to path outside helps (dorfs always go nearby spot marked as station). Best results are when you have thin fortifications, as in single-tile wide way and fortification next to it. This prevents wandering further from fortification, where only fairly skilled marksdwarves can shot. No need to command, they will shoot on their own, provided they have ammo, quivers and a few other esoteric requirements, like moon phase. Anyway, you must prevent pathing them to gobbos. Otherwise you will encounter standard example of dwarven stupidity - rushing to melee battle with crossbows.

Even with this setup I still have some problems with ammo and dreaded (cannot follow order). Goddamn military is still too much bugged to my taste.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 06:41:56 pm »

Hmmm..

Do war dogs breed more war dogs? or just normal puppies? :P

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 09:56:19 pm »

(just noticed they breed normal puppies)

Btw, can archers fire from a z level above? I just had a tower made, and built fortifications on its second level above ground. (I wikied that, didn't find it...)

Alchemical Engineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 10:31:17 pm »

Yes, archers can shoot through z-levels.
Pages: 1 [2]