A. Awesome
- 1 (6.3%)
A. Adorable
- 2 (12.5%)
B. Both A. and A.
- 13 (81.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Smalls of Tolla: A Smalls RP  (Read 27110 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Smalls of Tolla: A Smalls RP
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 04:34:01 pm »

What are those dark dottish border marks on the map?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 04:35:43 pm »

Those are reef tiles. Actually, I think I'm going to put a map in the first post and keep it updated. I'm going to include a key as well.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 04:43:27 pm »

Having drifted into the deepest, darkests depths of this world's vast seas, the Ul'mare are tasked with assessing their numbers and surroundings. With no resources available, they attempt to stabilize the pod as a temporary shelter and source of materials. As they have no food and no knowledge of our surroundings, three groups of explorers are sent out into the waters to search the immediate area. One group goes northward, one heads east, and the other heads west. The rest are tasked with setting up shelter in and around the fallen pod, preferably in a cavern that can be secured against outsiders.

Highest Goal: Find a cavern that can be fortified against invaders. For bonus points, find one that is large with few entrances, and drag the ship in there. Scavenge the immediate area for life and find out which we can harvest, such as mollusks, shellfish, and small plankton eaters of the deep.

STAY AWAY FROM THINGS WITH SHARP POINTY TEETH, AND BRIGHT LIGHTS. If in doubt, puff out our defensive venomous spines and call for backup. 
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 04:51:18 pm »

Could we scavenge metal from the pod for tools?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 04:58:33 pm »

Those are reef tiles. Actually, I think I'm going to put a map in the first post and keep it updated. I'm going to include a key as well.

THIS. Good idea.

Btw, will be ever be able to evolve? I'd like to eventually go on land... I'd expect our species to be engineered to withstand air as well, as water is very rare in space. I'd like to find a cavern with an air pocket for a little bit of experimentation on my species' limitations and abilities.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 05:02:00 pm »

Early Silicon Era -> Can send scouts onto land and make basic camps.
Late Silicon Era -> May create colonies on land.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »

Turn 1
--------
The Snaug exit their craft, and assess the number of survivors while dragging the pod up to the surface of the mud.
As the Pod's hatch opens, the Snaug burrow out into the rich mud. Remarkably, not a single Snaug was lost during the crash: the Pods were built to be launched from much higher up than just atmosphere level. Working together, some Snaug make a tunnel whilst others pull and push. After much struggling, the large Pod is pulled onto the surface of the Mud Pit. Now that the Pod is out of the muck, some Snaug begin to wonder how they'll obtain food. You can't see very much from your crater, but you can't see anything alive either.

In a flurry of motion, the Yaffi boil out of their pod, basking in the life-giving sulfur. The strongest of the multitude begin to secure the pod firmly to the base of the mighty vent. The swiftest of the multitude spread out to look for hard-shelled sea life to infest, er... Domesticate.
The large amount of movement sends the Pod sliding to the base of the vent; the strongest of the Yaffi respond quickly and slow it down to a stop. The others begin to pile loose rocks around the bottom and secure it in its current position. Meanwhile, the swift Yaffi report back that they have found a patch of small, colorless bivalves and a thick mat of yellow bacteria to the east. Apparently, they found smaller vents in the vicinity of the big one.

The Lofani instanly got to work. They exited the pod and began to explore and look for creatures of the chasms. Some decided to renovate the pod and turn it upwards.
Even though barely any light filters down from the crack above, the Lofani are adapted to this environment. Their vision remains unimpaired by the uniform dimness and they have no trouble exploring their surroundings. The walls are still almost vertical at this point, though the gap between them is now much thinner. The scouts probe the rocky wall's nooks and crannies to try and find some edible prey. Probing one particular nook with its tentacle, one of the scouts calls out in pain. The Lofani react quickly and see what's wrong. The nook the Lofan was searching was actually some kind of mollusc! Its shell appears almost indistinguishable from the rocky wall nearby and is even encrusted with the same algal growth that the rest of the wall is. Currently, it is clamped shut on the Lofan's tentacle. A few of the Lofani who remained at the Pod are trying to flip it right-side-up for easier access. Though it's difficult to accomplish without dropping it down the abyss, they do manage to turn it over.

The flannigans exit the pod, and begin to gather fallen leaves for a shelter.
When their Pod opens, they see an enormous kelp forest. Everything is bathed in a uniform verdant green - not a glimpse of the surface can be seen through the gently waving fronds. Seeing that their flashy entrance may have attracted predators, they cautiously begin to gather leaves ripped apart by their passage. There's enough leaves that they can cover the Pod with enough left over to begin construction of a small shelter. Excess leaves are stored in the Pod's empty storage compartment. While the Flannigans work, they can hear things moving further off among the kelp forest's floor.

Having drifted into the deepest, darkests depths of this world's vast seas, the Ul'mare are tasked with assessing their numbers and surroundings. With no resources available, they attempt to stabilize the pod as a temporary shelter and source of materials. As they have no food and no knowledge of our surroundings, three groups of explorers are sent out into the waters to search the immediate area. One group goes northward, one heads east, and the other heads west. The rest are tasked with setting up shelter in and around the fallen pod, preferably in a cavern that can be secured against outsiders.

Highest Goal: Find a cavern that can be fortified against invaders. For bonus points, find one that is large with few entrances, and drag the ship in there. Scavenge the immediate area for life and find out which we can harvest, such as mollusks, shellfish, and small plankton eaters of the deep.

STAY AWAY FROM THINGS WITH SHARP POINTY TEETH, AND BRIGHT LIGHTS. If in doubt, puff out our defensive venomous spines and call for backup. 

As the twenty Ul'mare emerge from the Pod and begin to survey the area, they see that the rock around them is oddly barren. There is no algae, no shellfish, seemingly nothing at all inhabiting anywhere that you can see. No doubt, this is because of the huge explosion that recently blasted this new habitat into being. The Ul'mare know this and are wise enough to know that although they were first, the life-filled sea will not leave this area lifeless for long. As if to prove this point, tiny shrimp-like creatures, only about the size of a Small's head and completely transparent, begin to drift into the area. You don't know much about them, but they look more like larvae than any shrimp that you know of. Perhaps the area will recover faster than you thought. On this happy note, the Ul'mare begin exploring the caves nearby. One the Ul'mare shouts and the others find him completely puffed up and being looked at by a surprised-looking, blue, eel-like creature. Seeing the others arrive, it quickly retreats further into the network of caves and disappears. Another explorer found a cave that suits their description aptly. It is large enough to make do with for now. It only has three openings leading in and out of it. One is the opening the scout went through, another is a much smaller opening further away, and the third is connected to the very back and leads deeper into the cave system. The cave has a large main chamber and several smaller ones branching off of it.
The north group tells that the caves are connected to the slope of a plateau. The east and west groups say that the water just gets deeper and deeper, as well as more riddled with holes. Deeper into the darkness, brief flashes of light could be seen. They came back before they could end up on anything's menu, however.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 06:51:54 pm »

The stronger Yaffi will continue to re-enforce the pod, making it defensible, while the swift Yaffi attempt to infest and control the bivalves for food and building materials.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 07:15:05 pm »

Pull at the mollusk with beaks and tentacles. Get a few to continue looking for an edible food source.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 08:09:11 pm »

Organize hunting/scouting parties to the edges of the pit.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 09:59:45 pm »

Remove a panel of metal plating from the hull and then disguise the hull with leaves.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 11:47:11 pm »

Detailed breakdown:

Capture two of the larval shrimp creatures for study, and begin to dismantle our pod from the inside, so as to retain the outer protective shell for shelter, and recycle the useless scrap metal now lining the inside. Gather a group of Ul'mare to drag the pod into one of the smaller caves, and have 5-6 Ul'mare scavenge the cavern area for large loose stones, and use them to set up a barrier blocking off the larger cavern entrance. The small entrance shall be left open as an escape route while the front entrance should be guarded by three Ul'mare at all times.

If we can manage to capture two of the larva, scavenge a glass/see-through container from the ship, if there are any, even a lightbulb if possible, and trap one larva within it to watch it move and grow. Have an inquisitive Ul'mare try to eat one to test it for venom and possible food source. While two-three Ul'mare handle the shrimp and three guard the cavern proper, have the rest explore the corners and holes of the cavern for useable resources. Lastly, have a group of our two most intelligent, technologically-proficient Ul'mare analyze the wreckage and assess what remains for future re-use.[/b]

(OOC: Perhaps a bit too much, though if each action is split between a small group as I see it, its doable. If you wish, I'll split this into two turns.

Summary of Orders:

To simplify, have 3 men guard the cavern proper, 5 men gather shrimp, algae and other small sea-life to see what we can eat, 5 men block off the large deep entrance at the cavern's back with large stones, 2 men study the ship for materials/recycling uses, while the last 5 men explore the home cavern in more detail. Specifically, to find out what sort of minerals, algae, and such materials are found within our cavern without having to travel outside of its relative safety.

Bonus Priority:

Search for some sort of reed or material we can manufacture makeshift spears out of, to begin utilizing our natural venom with. We need these venom-coated spears to better defend ourselves against anything large and dangerous, as we may yet be hunted by denizens of the deep. If all else fails, we can hide in the smallest cave where a large predator cannot enter, or sneak out through the small cavern entrance.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 10:30:21 am »

Turn 2
--------
The stronger Yaffi will continue to re-enforce the pod, making it defensible, while the swift Yaffi attempt to infest and control the bivalves for food and building materials.
Finding bits of rocks small enough to carry is a challenge, but the Yaffi are able to create a low rock wall to help keep out anything that might attack from the ground. While searching for small rocks, they find that the vent's chimney is made of a darker mineral than the small grey rocks that make up the surrounding terrain and that small bits of it are mixed in the rubble at the vent's base. The strange colorless bivalves aren't used to predators and are easily infested. However, the Yaffi can't do very much with them except open them, close them, and control the threads attaching them to the ground. They have no way of moving on their own, but their shells would definitely be good for building with. Some of the albino mussels are taken back to the Pod to be stored as food, and a few others are eaten on the spot. Their shells are taken back the the Pod.

Pull at the mollusk with beaks and tentacles. Get a few to continue looking for an edible food source.
It takes three Lofani to reopen the mollusk, the joints on this creature must be extremely strong. Kyridgem's squad finds an abundance of odd looking anemones clinging to the underside of a ledge. They retract their tentacles when prodded, but judging from the bits of debris trapped on a lower ledge, the anemones may be more than able to capture prey almost their size. The biggest one is about 4 OMUs big. ((About twice your size - Lofani are large Smalls, about 2 OMU.)) The remains below look to be from some sort of crustacean. The only parts left are six plates that may have once overlapped and many small legs.

Organize hunting/scouting parties to the edges of the pit.
Ten of the Snaug go to the rim of the crater to take a look around. As far as they can see, the mud flat extends in all directions around them. Here and there, the surface is pocked by various holes. As they watch, two stalked eyes extend from a nearby hole. ATTACK or KEEP LOOKING?

Remove a panel of metal plating from the hull and then disguise the hull with leaves.
One of the Flannigans suggests breaking down part of the Pod's hull for the metal plating. The others readily agree, but how? Luckily, they find that each of the Pod's armor plates is connected to a lever-based release system, probably for maintenance between missions. With enough force, the plate disengages and falls onto the sand with a whumph. With the plate out of the way, they use the small fronds to disguise the Pod, hopefully tricking any Predators into mistaking it for a pile of fallen vegetation, of which the area has plenty.

Detailed breakdown:

Capture two of the larval shrimp creatures for study, and begin to dismantle our pod from the inside, so as to retain the outer protective shell for shelter, and recycle the useless scrap metal now lining the inside. Gather a group of Ul'mare to drag the pod into one of the smaller caves, and have 5-6 Ul'mare scavenge the cavern area for large loose stones, and use them to set up a barrier blocking off the larger cavern entrance. The small entrance shall be left open as an escape route while the front entrance should be guarded by three Ul'mare at all times.

If we can manage to capture two of the larva, scavenge a glass/see-through container from the ship, if there are any, even a lightbulb if possible, and trap one larva within it to watch it move and grow. Have an inquisitive Ul'mare try to eat one to test it for venom and possible food source. While two-three Ul'mare handle the shrimp and three guard the cavern proper, have the rest explore the corners and holes of the cavern for useable resources. Lastly, have a group of our two most intelligent, technologically-proficient Ul'mare analyze the wreckage and assess what remains for future re-use.[/b]

(OOC: Perhaps a bit too much, though if each action is split between a small group as I see it, its doable. If you wish, I'll split this into two turns.

Summary of Orders:

To simplify, have 3 men guard the cavern proper, 5 men gather shrimp, algae and other small sea-life to see what we can eat, 5 men block off the large deep entrance at the cavern's back with large stones, 2 men study the ship for materials/recycling uses, while the last 5 men explore the home cavern in more detail. Specifically, to find out what sort of minerals, algae, and such materials are found within our cavern without having to travel outside of its relative safety.

Bonus Priority:

Search for some sort of reed or material we can manufacture makeshift spears out of, to begin utilizing our natural venom with. We need these venom-coated spears to better defend ourselves against anything large and dangerous, as we may yet be hunted by denizens of the deep. If all else fails, we can hide in the smallest cave where a large predator cannot enter, or sneak out through the small cavern entrance.

Blocking off the back of the cave is one of the first things to be done. Who knows what lurks in its depths? Loose stones in the cavern are cleared and piled in one of the smaller rooms. These are then put to use barricading the entrances to the cavern. The back of the cavern is completely sealed off- it would take something a lot stronger than a Small to get through. The Ul'mare notice that even the large stones are surprisingly light, almost to the point of floating.
Now that they have a safe shelter, the Ul'mare are able to get around to more mundane things. They begin to strip the Pod of the metal on the inside while leaving the outer plating intact. None of the Ul'mare however, can make heads nor tails of any of the circuits that ran the Pod's computers. The rest of the Pod's inside is stripped and stored in a cave, while the Pod is moved into its own cave.
The Seaborn are fascinated by the drifting shrimp and decide that it might benefit them to look into these animals. Since they drift on the ocean's currents, they are slow and easily caught. They decide that two will suffice and retreat back into the cavern to examine them closer. The Ul'mare remove one of the glass panels from the lighting components of the Pod to contain the larva in a crevice. They are unable to secure it, however, due to lack of any sort of adhesive. An Ul'mare pulls out one of the large lighting rods to use as a container instead. It's a large, hollow glass cylinder that has a stopper at one end and an electrical connector at the other. It works like a charm and the little guy drifts around inside. The other larva is not so lucky, and is eaten by a curious Ul'mare. It isn't toxic, but its shell is difficult to remove without knowing where to look. It may be better cooked - the inside is watery.
The search for resources has come up short. Algae has been found growing deeper in the dark rock tunnels, but it might be difficult or even dangerous to gather more of it (they would need to either find a way to grow it or open up new tunnels). All of the rock that you can see appears to be the same porous rock that makes up the entire cavern. Due to the fact that it's so light, the Ul'mare have dubbed it "floatstone". It is actually sharp in the jagged areas as well, almost like glass. Some of the Seaborn suggest making spears, but there are no materials that seem viable for that, yet.
Spoiler: Cavern (click to show/hide)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 11:05:10 am »

Some of the Flannigans test some of the extra leaves as a potential food source while others attempt to use the piece of metal plating as a saw to remove the stalk of some of the kelp.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 11:41:41 am »

((OOC: I'm assuming the white stuff in the Central-Western chamber are metal plates loose floatstone, thank for verifying!))

Have a 2-man team take small bits of hard metal from the ship and hammer them into a bit of floatstone to see if the floatstone is easily shattered, scraped, or dug into. If the floatstone can be shattered or dug into, have 10 El'mare smooth out the Northern-western chamber's walls into 1-hex wide to gain extra space ((and because I hate clutter/wasted space)) and pile the leftover stone/rubble in room filled with loose floatstone. If possible, knock out a 1-hex wide entrance into the cave with the floatstone to connect it to the North-Westernmost room. If any time is left, clear more clutter/material from the adjacent rooms to make space and give the cavern a bit of 'symmetry'.

Summary of Orders:

2 guard front entrance (Order on (R)epeat until further notice)
1 guard the side entrance (Repeat)
10 Clear the clutter in cave and prospect the material types found during scraping/digging/moving
3 explore the immediate outside area for useful materials and take samples
5 gather more shrimp for food and try using jagged floatstone or metal to find the shell's weak spot and facilitate eating them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:05:43 pm by Ehndras »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14