Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ElFarm  (Read 5600 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
ElFarm
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:00:16 pm »

After much work, I have finally managed it.

A hamlet, the only settlement of this particular Elven civ, contains the Queen and her husband (who's the Princess, I think. I know, it's wierd. I dunno why.), and their offspring.

Oh, and lots of angry elves.

Well, it might still work.

Let the Elf Farm begin!

EDIT: Attempted an embark, and had to quit, misaligned it. Second time I managed to encompass the ENTIRE hamlet! :D There's the Queen, Princess, Druid and Acolyte, and a group of children, friendly. All the rest are hostile. I've walled the dwarves in a small area around the wagon and began a (pretty messy) but adequate fort in the dirt layers. Unfortunately, it's a cold area, will be frozen and snowy a lot of the year, and has an aquifer. I may attempt to break through the aquifer by exposing it to the freezing surface.

Plan:
Break through aquifer. Begin fort proper.
Set up adequate defences.
Lure in entire 'hostile' elven population, cage and capture.
Herd (somehow) the royal family into their own (purposeless but amusing) royal rooms.
Build a standard dwarven fort.
Attempt to breed a line of elves (SOMEHOW) and see if they ever outbreed the dwarves! Should be amusing. :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:14:42 pm by EmperorJon »
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ElFarm
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 04:15:14 pm »

After much work, I have finally managed it.

A hamlet, the only settlement of this particular Elven civ, contains the Queen and her husband (who's the Princess, I think. I know, it's wierd. I dunno why.), and their offspring.

Oh, and lots of angry elves.

Well, it might still work.

Let the Elf Farm begin!

EDIT: Attempted an embark, and had to quit, misaligned it. Second time I managed to encompass the ENTIRE hamlet! :D There's the Queen, Princess, Druid and Acolyte, and a group of children, friendly. All the rest are hostile. I've walled the dwarves in a small area around the wagon and began a (pretty messy) but adequate fort in the dirt layers. Unfortunately, it's a cold area, will be frozen and snowy a lot of the year, and has an aquifer. I may attempt to break through the aquifer by exposing it to the freezing surface.

Plan:
Break through aquifer. Begin fort proper.
Set up adequate defences.
Lure in entire 'hostile' elven population, cage and capture.
Herd (somehow) the royal family into their own (purposeless but amusing) royal rooms.
Build a standard dwarven fort.
Attempt to breed a line of elves (SOMEHOW) and see if they ever outbreed the dwarves! Should be amusing. :D

genius... I want pictures when done
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 04:23:45 pm »

wont the locals turn hostile -the leaders- when a invasion comes?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:48:06 am »

They'll all be captured by then. :D

Update: Turned off migrants to save on FPS (but will keep invasions and caravans). Expecting the 2 waves of dorfs imminently. Miner training uber rapidly in soil, dug a corridor under each of the houses. Will breach them once cage traps are set up. :D That'll require me to punch through the aquifer first though. Then, project assimilation will begin... throwing clothed elves with their knives into a pit with unarmored, unclothed, unarmed goblins, they kill the goblin and are then FRIENDLY! :D

Can anyone tell me, however, will friendly locals get married/have children...? :S
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:57:49 am »

So much win... Were you unfriendly or at war with the elven nation before embark?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:15:22 am »

No, the Just Embark always leads to the locals being Hostile, as far as I know, except historic figures.

I'll try to post up some pics etc.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:28:22 am »

We broke through! A spur of andesite rose through up into the second layer, the aquifer started on the third. So we've broken down into the rock. I'm still keeping everyone in the messy and badly designed dirt for for now, I'll have to attempt to excavate a nice one at some point. I also didn't bother limiting population in the end, it may cause problems with my experiments. That means I'll need to save on FPS, so I'm going to begin capturing immediately, now that I've got mechanisms up! :D

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 07:01:51 am »

afaik local resident are resistant to your traps, you may need a gcs or a cavein device to capture them.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:25:28 am »

Meh, will try.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 11:24:57 am »

Been playing on and off. No migrants yet. Not tried traps yet. But found Runesmith has tags for Is Resident and Is Primary/Secondary Historical Figure, so we may be able to tweak some stuff if we have to.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 12:42:08 pm »

just to keep receiving news
 :D
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:48:03 pm »

Bump.
I want updates.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Lordofd511

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 02:37:16 pm »

I think that the local elves should breed. I think I remember hearing people complain about kobolds using peoples nest boxes before.

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 06:00:06 pm »

I approve of this project. Just make sure the elves don't get hurt by invaders, you won't be able to replace them. This will probably be a great place for some good !!Science!! to be done on the elves, too!  :)
...Said Bloxace.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 06:53:07 pm »

I think that the local elves should breed. I think I remember hearing people complain about kobolds using peoples nest boxes before.

Civilised eggs will only hatch when the mother marries, I think even if they're bastards, just laying the eggs means nothing. Any of those elves that married during world gen should reproduce. I wonder if they'd be forced to adhere to the fifty creature limit, or whether they'd be classed under the main pop cap for dwarves, being civilised. Or be uncapped? I dunno.
Pages: [1] 2 3