Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: Dead but Dreaming  (Read 41041 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile

*totally missed the part where this got resuscitated until Fool told me*

Hmm.... I guess I'll be playing an Illumian rogue/swordsage/archivist. Level 5, you say? 10,000 gp, you say? I'll post my build thus far, since the order I take levels in actually matters >.>
Also, I am playing a TWF build, but he won't have quite as ludicrous of a sneak attack as Cerrad. Less rogue levels and probably less Assassin Stance, for a start, plus the fact that he's part spellcaster... doesn't get high enough BAB to take ITWF for a while... etc.

Spoiler: how to cheese a bit (click to show/hide)

I haven't started buying gear or scribing non-cleric spells into my prayerbook yet, but I have the base character done (here). Now, to go find items to request, and then scribe a helluva lot of noncleric spells into my book. Rangers, Paladins, Blackguards, I'm looking at you, and your spells that shouldn't be available until level 4... oh, and druids.

QuickEdit: Also, about the Illumians' Luminous Sigils. It says that they simply press into materials if your head is near something, and they are visually repressed. Just to check, that means I can hide them by wearing a hood, yes?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:41:23 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still not sure how to even start my character. Unlike the normal D&D game, this one has quite a few things that I just don't understand, even though I downloaded the books. So, unless someone is willing to take some time and walk me through a character creation and my options, I'm probably going to back out of this one.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I recall correctly Illumians can hide their symbols as a swift action. I'll find an exact page in a minute and edit this post.

EDIT: They can hide it as a standard action, and they don't lose the effect of the sigil when it's hidden. This is page 53. The bit about it touching material means that it cannot be physically interacted with and 'disappears' at that spot if something touches it. So you can wear a hood you'd have the rotating symbols showing only on your forehead.

EDIT2: Haika, if you need help I have a fair amount of tomorrow off and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. I'm not dreadfully knowledgeable about psionics, but I have a lot of time and all the books relating to psionics.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:25:09 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

I'm still not sure how to even start my character. Unlike the normal D&D game, this one has quite a few things that I just don't understand, even though I downloaded the books. So, unless someone is willing to take some time and walk me through a character creation and my options, I'm probably going to back out of this one.
I can do it right now if you're available. There will be a server up on maptools (Again, should be AltEnergy and admin) in five minutes or so.

And Fool is correct on Sigils.

Looking at the list of stuff, the vigor series of majicks is fine. Tome of Battle is already allowed (Except RKV cheese.). I'll be looking at Light of Lumia... Is it a feat, or what?

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And Fool is correct on Sigils.
Well okay, if you say so  ;D
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sever works and everyone seems to have some free time in common!
Learn.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I've got a halfway(read: not very) grasp on my character for this. I'm not completely done yet, but I'll work on it more later this week. Tomorrow is shoruke's game, then wed is supposed to be the pokemon pen and paper if that all works out. And thursday is my own crafting game turned maptools experiment. So... maybe friday I'll get it done and posted.

Either way, I'm still in this, and starting to look forward to what I can do. but right now, I'm going to go gnaw on a bottle of ibuprofin and deal with this headache.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another few things I need to request to get approved...
Sorry, I know it gets annoying looking all this stuff up sometimes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I need to know if you can upgrade/enchant Specific Armors, and if you can light the area of an Entangle spell on fire if you drop an area-of-effect fire spell on it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:40:43 am by shoruke »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking I want to nerf myself by not having the crusader class. Regardless of the fact that this campaign focuses on ToB, ToM, and psionics, I think that I'll go for just barbarian. I may still do an outrageous amount of damage, but at least I can't stack maneuvers on top of it. I'm basically calling myself on this one and throwing myself across the internet.

Removing crusader will drop my damage input on charges by 16 points, as well as stop me from adding d6s to everything else. My character is powerful enough without having White Raven Tactics (read this one and laugh, it shouldn't be level 3), or any of the strength check based maneuvers (because I'd always win the check). ToB is broken with the right combination of stats, classes features, and abilities, and I really don't want to munchkin myself out the gate. The rage, full-attacks and the huge greatsword are pushing it, but at least that has a set number of uses and durations, which I should run through fairly quick. I'd be interested in psionic items, and maybe a psionic class (if I find one that works, but won't break this again). If nothing else I'll learn about psionics for when I make a campaign later on.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go read the OP again, dude. He just said he'd throw the book at you across the internet. I don't think his scrawny nature cult arms can lift and throw a full-size goliath. Or an elf, for that matter. Then again, maybe if he threw some buff spells on himself and wildshaped into a bear with opposable thumbs...

ToB is broken with the right combination of stats, classes features, and abilities, and I really don't want to munchkin myself out the gate. if you bother to read it.
FTFY

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I said that I'd be throwing myself across the internet. That could work. Tome of Battle is a fun book, but damn can it ever get broken if you learn the mechanics it runs on.

Anyways, Shoruke requested a pog edit. Here it is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the more overpowered, the better! Since I'm pretty new to all this. :P
I'll start slogging away at making the guy soon. Fool, is it alright if I PM you any questions?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Questions for the DM:
-Does the +4 to checks to pronounce my own personal truename from Obscure personal Truename apply to me speaking my own truename?
-If so, is it possible to take a skill talent/feat/etc. that will negate that?
-Can Whisper of Fire (a super basic utterance that does 1 fire damage) be used to sneak attack people if they otherwise qualify to be sneak attacked?
-Is the "automatic failure on a 1" rule in force for this campaign? If it isn't, it would probably streamline play a bit for me.
-Is it possible to homebrew a feat that lets me take 10 on truespeak checks while in combat?
-Is it acceptable to have my character start out as middle aged?

Character sheet here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=321592
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:37:09 am by Grek »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous

What's with all the masterwork items that give you skill bonuses.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Yoink: Sure you can PM me if you need help, but I think I'll nerf my character anyways. I think when I rolled over 80 damage on a charge the lights of munchkinry hit me. Nerfing my character is a favor for everyone. If encounters are too hard to balance then I'd be the only one able to hit, or the encounter will end before anyone else can deal real damage. My character can still deal broken amounts of damage after I nerf it, but I think I just won't use haste until I run out of rage, or if something bad happens.

@King of Weasels: There is an item called Tool, Masterwork for 50g in the PHB. It increases a skill by +2. I have at least 2 on my sheet as well. If you want at add some as well I think I have a small post on them on page 5 about halfway down.

EDIT: BTW Caladbolg was the name of a sword in Irish mythology that cleaved the top of three mountains in one swing. I thought the sword name was fitting. Also, I finished editing my sheet. I can rage 1 more time, but I can no longer use maneuvers.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:14:57 am by The Fool »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32