Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Author Topic: D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: Dead but Dreaming  (Read 41025 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the other hand, we already have a psionic guy that does healing stuff
Yes, but I may not be attending, I have this crazy G.M.T. +10 timezone thing that keeps telling me to wake up at 3AM...

So, after looking through the psychic warrior powers I've decided to become a psychometabolist guy that turns into a terrifying monster when angry. Said character may or may not be based loosely after Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Because I am unfamiliar with psionics, this has lead to a few questions:

-Do either of the metapsionic feats Maximize Power or Empower Power apply to psychometabolism powers that grant you natural attacks?
-If you are a large creature, does the damage for Bite of the Wolf go up by 1d8 or 2d6 per 5 PW levels?
-If I take both Empathic Transfer and Body Adjustment, does that mean I'm the party healer? Being both a healery doctor guy and a horrifying monster sounds sorta cool.
-What is Display and how does it work?
-The rules for power points mention power point storage devices. How many points can one of these hold, and what do they cost?
-You are not gping to get maximum damage on your weapons unless the relevant ability is extremely specific or the D.M. is in the depths of a fey mood. I am guessing that you will not be empowering your natural weapons...
-There are these two charts that describe normal damage progression. I was particularly interested in them with respect to claws of the beast, which clearly isn't using either progression. But it seems to settle down to advancing by 1d6, which is what I would do if I were D.M.ing it. Bite of the wolf however seems pretty explicit, you get exactly 1d8 extra damage regardless of what you started with. But I could see a D.M. house-ruling it based upon the idea of a grig and a megaraptor dealing much the same damage, and woe betide anyone who encounters a psychic swarm...
-Vigour is a slightly more efficient power-source for empathic transfer, but body adjustment can fix you if you take actual damage, which has a lot to be said for it. And yes, empathic transfer combined with a means of generating HP makes you a potential healer, but a party can survive having more than one healer... I suspect that monsters tend to have low ab, consider looking for things that will increase your ability to hit things.
-I have no idea at all what you mean by 'Display'.
-You may be thinking of Cognizance Crystals. They seem to be pretty bad value-for-money. If they work the way that I think they do then your best option would be to have two of the three power point varieties. six power points is a noticeable increase, and you only need to manifest twice to collect them. Of course, they still need to come from somewhere in the first place...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here is a list of magic items that I'd like to use from the Magic Item Compendium:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is a list of things that my character uses that would need to be approved (non-core):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If no one has noticed this build is not intended for long/multiple fights (or defense for that matter). Damage input drops massively after the third encounter, which is the main reason for all the extra attack items. Might also help with a boss if I can still rage (8d6+30 is nice). Cerrad still wins out in damage though.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:58:34 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

I'll check those out, though they don't look too terrible.

Psionic Displays
For the natural weapon powers and Maximize/Empower, I'm going to judge that the weapons themselves rather than the damage dealt by the weapons constitute the effect; thus, the metapsionic feats have no effect.
Bite of the wolf progression goes as in the text, regardless of size. And a swarm counts as one monster with no reach, and the size of the individual parts.

I'm not in a position to put up a server right now, but there will be times when I will and be happy to answer questions and help with characters.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous

You didn't answer my very important question.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

My current class set up gives me trapfinding twice, so can I either get a bonus feat or perhaps and improved trapfinding thing?
this one?

I'll mull over that. I'd like to know what book hidden blades and the Deadly Defense feat, and why you didn't ask me about the scout first. It's allowed, just it's better to request stuff first. Looking at MiC anyway, and if that's the version you're using, spool of endless rope is allowed.

Fool, your requests are allowed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:19:26 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, new plan: I'm going Truenammer 3/Rogue 2 and prestige classing into Forgotten from level 6 onwards. Backstory reason why I'm on the trip is that I'm going to meet a guy in Fort Citadel for a Ritual of Renaming in order to escape from the perils of my checkered past of defrauding people Moist von Lipwig style. If the DM lets me, I might just impersonate a few tax collectors on the way over. I have the bluff and forgery abilities to pull it off, after all.

My utterances are Silent Caster, Universal Aptitude, Hidden Truth, Vision Sharpened and Word of Opening. Although I'll only have a +1d6 sneak attack, I can duplicate the effects of Greater Invisibility at will and do a bunch of other neat magic tricks. Since I'm going to be invisible a lot, and the reasonable thing to do when you're invisible is to press your advantage by keeping your distance, I'm going to have a longspear. Not the traditional rogue weapon, but then again, this isn't your traditional rogue.

Feats would be Obscure Personal Truename (for prestige class qualification), Chant Utterance (for extra duration on my silence power) and Inaudible Utterance (for the sneaksiness) and race is, of course, human. Because humans are the best.

Problems:
-I have no idea about what sort of equipment to get.
-I have no idea how the Ritual of Renaming works.
-Damage output is somewhat low for a rogue.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We should have enough damage input with a Warblade, and a Barbarian/Crusader. Even if you just pester and confuse enemies, or do some scouting that would round out the party nicely. We'd just need a healer then. I'd suggest the Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook. Because adding your Cha modifiers to healing spells is awesome (especially for level 0 heals). If we're working around a healer I'd either get a healing belt (750g if unmodified) for everyone.

I'd like to know what day this will happen on, because I need to send a schedule to work saying when I can work during university. It would be awesome to guarantee attendance for both D&D sessions.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:58:50 pm by The Fool »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

The Ritual of Renaming, as written, is an eighth level spell with an XP component and requires the caster to make a truespeak check. It makes sense in an in-universe point of view, because it's literally rewriting some tiny portion of the universe to have a different name. Out of universe, however, it's a really weak spell except if there are people who know your truename (which, I admit, your backstory sounds like someone might). At the end of Ritual, the target of the spell or the caster, whichever has a higher Truespeak modifier, makes the check to say the target's new and old truenames. In addition, the target may pay the 500 XP, in which case it doesn't cost money for the XP portion of the spell.

If you reach level 6 or even level 7 or higher before we get there, you can do the ritual and then have someone cast Psychic Reformation on you. You'll qualify for the special component of the class at that point. So much can be done with Psychic Reformation.

Personally, once school starts for me (2 weeks), I will only be possible on Fridays, because Saturday is West Marches day (usually), and because homework.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous

Scouts in complete adventurer, hidden blade is the sleeve blade in complete scoundrel, and I believe deadly defense feat is also in complete scoundrel.

and no my question was about the starting cash.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Scouts in complete adventurer, hidden blade is the sleeve blade in complete scoundrel, and I believe deadly defense feat is also in complete scoundrel.

and no my question was about the starting cash.
Starting cash is, indeed, ten thousand. 10,000. halfway between five thousand and fifteen thousand. two orders of magnitude higher than one hundred. two orders of magnitude less than one million. ((etc, etc.))

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Further questions:
-The ritual being an eighth level spell means that I pay 1200 gold (80 times CL gold) to have the ritual cast, assuming I pay the XP cost? Or is it different because how truename magic/psionic weirdness?
-Do any of the characters in the party want me to know their truename? It will cost 3750gp for me to start out with it or a minimum of 2500 and 17.5 days to figure it out during play. This will let me cast greater invisibility on them, give you +15 on knowledge or bluff checks and a few other useful effects.
-Learning the personal truename of an item without a caster level (ie. a mundane weapon) isn't really well defined. I assume it requires a single successful skill check against DC 20, with each attempt costing 1 week and 1000 gold? Is that right?
-Do masterwork tools exist for the forgery, bluff, hide, move silently, truespeak or knowledge skills? I'm thinking fancy writing tools, business cards, dark clothing, padded shoes, and reference books. Forgery should probably work like disguise where it's 50gp for 10 uses of the skill, just so I don't have to track paper and ink totals.
-If I get glamered armour, is the glamer consistant between uses of the skill, or can I change what it looks like? If I can't pick what it looks like, is there an improved version that would allow me to do that? What about armour that is glamered to look like much more impressive and protecting armour?
-Does arcane spell failure apply to utterances? It never indicates anywhere that it does, but it doesn't oughtright say anywhere that it doesn't either.
-What sort of government replaced the Empire of Empire once Emperor Prince lost all of it? Does anyone involved in that do Truename stuff and who might hold a grudge against a con artist? This may be important to my backstory stuff, mostly for deciding who it is I'm running from.

Tenetive equipment list:
-Glamered +1 chainmail to keep me safe and stylish. 3950gp
-Lesser Amulet of the Silver Tongue for truespeak checks. 2500gp
-A masterwork longspear for stabbing people in the face. 305gp
-A bunch of masterwork tools for assorted skills. 100 to 1000gp
-Forgery supplies and a disguise kit for "business". 100gp
-Twelve hundred gold in rubies for my ritual contact. 1200gp

That's 8155 to 9055 accounted for, so the rest can just be walking around money.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to have armour of speed (MiC, p.14). It grants 1 round of haste 3/day if 6,000g is added to the price of the armor. It is by no means cost effective for the effect, but it takes up space that I'd be using anyways, leaving room for items later on. My character currently has it on the sheet at a cost of 6,350g.

On a slightly unrelated note I decided to name the huge greatsword Caladbolg since I'll be using it til endgame. Seems unlikely that I'd find a better huge weapon as we go. I'll write a backstory and finalize the sheet in the morning. We need to let Shoruke know that the campaign could still be happening. I haven't seen him post here since before you said it could still happen.

@Grek: Technically the tool, masterwork (50g) item in the PHB can be any of the items you listed. Just make it make sense. If you can't think of something that would make sense all the time just have it as a confidence building item (I'd suggest this for bluff). For the forgery kit I'd use wearable magnifying glasses (don't know the term) as the tool instead since it would most likely be used while forging something with detail.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there likely to be any opportunity for magic item creation or other long-term efforts?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Further questions:
-The ritual being an eighth level spell means that I pay 1200 gold (80 times CL gold) to have the ritual cast, assuming I pay the XP cost? Or is it different because how truename magic/psionic weirdness?
That is correct
-Learning the personal truename of an item without a caster level (ie. a mundane weapon) isn't really well defined. I assume it requires a single successful skill check against DC 20, with each attempt costing 1 week and 1000 gold? Is that right?
A mundane object is likely to have less to discover about it, plus you've most likely had it for the entirety of its operating career. On the other hand, there isn't much you can do with its truename.
-Do masterwork tools exist for the forgery, bluff, hide, move silently, truespeak or knowledge skills? I'm thinking fancy writing tools, business cards, dark clothing, padded shoes, and reference books. Forgery should probably work like disguise where it's 50gp for 10 uses of the skill, just so I don't have to track paper and ink totals.
See Fool on this one
-If I get glamered armour, is the glamer consistant between uses of the skill, or can I change what it looks like? If I can't pick what it looks like, is there an improved version that would allow me to do that? What about armour that is glamered to look like much more impressive and protecting armour?
Yes and yes; there is no strict mechanical benefit to the latter, however. Enemies may avoid the guy in the heavy armor, but they may see it and decide that you'll be less mobile and thus easier to crumble to pieces.
-Does arcane spell failure apply to utterances? It never indicates anywhere that it does, but it doesn't oughtright say anywhere that it doesn't either.
There is no somatic component, so no ASF
-What sort of government replaced the Empire of Empire once Emperor Prince lost all of it? Does anyone involved in that do Truename stuff and who might hold a grudge against a con artist?
As for the government, the people of Empire are still ruled by the Emperor, his domain just doesn't extend far from the city walls. Anyone involved in the original stupidity of Emperor Prince is likely long dead by now.
Tentative equipment list:
My urge to spellcheck was too strong
Fool, Armor of Speed is fine, just remember the limit of one extra attack per round. Also remember that before any special magical effects can be added, a weapon or armor needs a +1 bonus.
Is there likely to be any opportunity for magic item creation or other long-term efforts?
It's unlikely, as you would be walking most of the time, in addition to being on the road. If you can successfully do so while in a bumpy wagon, or if you hire a carriage, you could possibly do it, but you'd also need to convince Sir Urist to let you. On the other hand, it's a fifty day trip, and there shouldn't be anywhere near fifty encounters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I finally downloaded Tome of Battle, and wow, Warblades are everything I wanted to play and more! :D
I don't have the core rules, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem as I can use an SRD.
Well, I'm still pretty clueless, but I'll start making my character; if I need help you guys will be hearing about it. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32