Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: Dead but Dreaming  (Read 41012 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: Intro to Psionics/ToB/Incarnum tomorrow
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 02:20:04 am »

He's doing a introductory thing tommorow/today so if you want to go psionic it's be good to check that out.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 03:13:53 am »

Yes, it is mostly the kreen, but defiling/preserving would be an interesting alternative to conventional roles, but once you realise that people are okay with magic, preserving doesn't seem to have much relevance in the rules, and defiling would be overpowered on most worlds, as demonstrated by what happened to Athas... Elemental clerics don't really seem different enough to warrant them is a 'different' campaign. So if I want a darksun character, I am left with thri-kreen, or halfling I suppose, so long as I get to make strange faces at the party's elf... But a thri-kreen psychic warrior or egoist would be awesome...

But hey, I haven't decided if I am playing yet and I have an old grey elf egoist that I had in a campaign that never lasted. Not to mention, having an egoist around might be nice if we don't have any clerics...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 03:15:42 am »

Pretty much any cleric that isn't there for healing is a different kind of cleric.

also guys I found my character portrait.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dd_gallery/dd1/Garl_p70.jpg

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 04:12:30 am »

A Defiler in a world with abundant life energy would be hugely over powered. And at the same time, would probably have to make some sort of save against going insane from all the juicy power sources at his fingertips.

Anyways, off to bed with me. I'll try and show up for the training session thing here in a few hours, but I may be a bit late. Depends on if I sleep in too much or not. Not that I'm required by any means, but I suppose it feels better to make excuses than just not to show up.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:14:30 am by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 11:14:03 am »

Unfortunately, scheduling hasn't panned out as I'd have liked and so I can't do it today or tomorrow. There's also a good chance that I won't be able to run the campaign at all.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5: Alternative Energy: Possible campaign (looking unlikely)
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 11:21:43 am »

blargh, well it was a good idea. I'll keep my eyes peeled here if this still ends up happening. I got the books in pdf form now, so been looking them over.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 11:53:45 am »

Even if the campaign doesn't happen it would be nice to inform other DMs on the lesser used books.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 03:13:42 pm »

Oh noes, my character is useless now!

Well more so.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 03:36:04 pm »

I mean, I don't have the time available for running a campaign without a bazillion weeks in between sessions. However, there's a chance that, sometime in the future, I might be able to do a few one-shots - campaigns that _should_ last only a session or two.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 11:22:48 pm »

Drat, I just recently reread the stuff for Illumians and now I want to play an Illumian rogue/archivist =(
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2011, 11:25:49 pm »

Can any refer me to a place to learn how to play? I played one dungeon a few years ago with my friend. His older brother was the dungeon person(?) and knew what he was doing. I liked it but don't have a clue how you play.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 11:46:43 am »

I would suggest Shoruke's D&D 3.5 game. We don't really have a max player count, so there will always be a spot for another. It only really takes a bit of reading beforehand and a session or two to get the hang of it.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 08:42:33 pm »

There's a possibility of a brief intro session on Psionics/ToB/Incarnum once more. I'm available right now (Maptools b76, server name AltEnergy password admin) for an out-of-character encounter.

Edit: Bugger that. However, for a mini-campaign (well, probably mini), I have come up with a somewhat reasonable hook for a random assortment of characters to come together without starting in a tavern:

In the city of Villageton, there is plenty of merchanting to be done. Some of this includes merchanting in other towns. So, with a promised reward of ten thousand gold (split among whoever is hired; and loot if bandits attack and are killed does not count for this ten thousand), and your characters being the first to sign up, adventure awaits! You will meet at the north gate with your employer, a dwarf bringing the metalcrafts of his clan to the town. You will travel north to the Cold Mountains, where your employer brings his wares to the legendary Fort Citadel. The first stop will be the village of Empire, a two week ride north by northwest, from where the legendary Emperor King singlehandedly captured half the continent before succumbing to the common cold; his son, the now-Emperor Prince, was a bumbling fool who lost all of it but the village that now bears the name Empire. ((Free Knowledge checks, away! Actually, the Dwarf has an archaologist (Idaho Bones) with him who has lots of knowledge ranks))
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:51:26 pm by RedWarrior0 »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If this is going to be a mini-campaign I have a few questions:

Will the starting level still be level 1?
If no, can I use my Goliath barbarian (ECL 2)?. Buffs don't really improve in mini-campaigns, so I'd like to lay down the hurt instead. I'll have to make changes, but here is the sheet anyways. If the starting level is higher than 2 I'd multiclass into crusader instead of just barbarian. Might also want to add a 'normal' weapon just in case the 'Buster Sword' breaks down for the day.

EDIT: Might not matter, but the sheet should be ECL 2 now.

EDIT2: Now modifying to ECL 4 (if buyout is in allowed). Should be epic. I'll assume huge magical greatswords are out of the question. I'm going for a White Raven Crusader Barbarian. And morale has never been higher...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:14:52 am by The Fool »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

I may, in fact, bump up the ECL, regardless of mini campaign-ness or not. Honestly, with what I've got planned, it could be either a three session thing or it could go epic, or it could go somewhere in between. I'll adjust starting gold and level to 5 with 10,000, which is a thousand gold bonus. Note that, for the current part, you will have access to a limited amount of wagon at hand. Anything not typically on your person should have a location of Wagon and no weight. However, this weight is limited, as the dwarves got a decent haul and have not that much room left.

Your NPC comrades shall be about three Dwarf Commoners, a Dwarf Aristocrat, and a Human Expert who has Int out the wazoo.

Note that I still don't have a 'when' of the sessions figured out. If people posted their general schedule, that would be a help. I'm looking for some kind of weekend game, perhaps. Saturday is West Marches Day (typically)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32