Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Must have Fallout: NV mods?  (Read 14911 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Must have Fallout: NV mods?
« on: August 08, 2011, 07:46:41 am »

Title says it all. Just got it for $10 off Steam. I'm guessing like FO3, it needs a heavy dose of rebalancing. I'm a pretty big fan of hardcore (by Bethesda's standards) so what should I run out and get for it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Must have Fallout: NV mods?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:47:45 am »

Better Headshots
Fallout : The New FPS

Two must have's.

Also
Once it's done : Project Nevada
Once it's made : Equivalent of FO3's MMM
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:48:46 am »

More perks. Can't ever have enough perks. Also get some atmosphere mods like fellout and new weapon skins, the default ones are terribad and generally not optimized.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:12:05 am »

This mod pack
http://blog.fileplanet.com/2011/07/01/fallout-new-vegas-plus/
 + the 3 NPC projects from the http://www.newvegasnexus.com/ and also mods to extend the Lucky 38 suite and Novac motel room usage and storage.
Also, Mojave Music Radio Expanded and the one that adds prostitutes to the Atomic Wrangler like the proprietors claim they have (nothing explicit, just pay some caps and fade to black, just seems weird there are no working girls when the owners say there is)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:18:22 am »

So other than what Stworca posted, no one seems to really be suggesting any balance mods? I ask because in FO3, ammo and stims and goodies were absurdly abundant, that alone made we want a mod to tweak it. Other mods added thirst and hunger and tried to make all the food and beverages interesting and different, as opposed to HP+5.

Any of that crap, or did NV basically get all that right on the first pass? I'm all for re-textures and stuff but it's not super critical to me; it's the game mechanics I'm primarily concerned with. (PS Sartain, how many extra loaders/managers/ect.... does that pack call for? I saw at least two things it said it wanted.)

Also which Novac Motel one are you recommending?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:23:36 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 12:54:30 pm »

As far as loaders, Fallout Mod Manager has been updated to work with NV. Due to the quirks of load order I highly recommend that one over the craptastic default checklist, which is likely to break half the stuff you load, if not more. The only downside is you have to disconnect from steam IIRC, but achievements are silly anyway.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:18:12 pm »

As far as loaders, Fallout Mod Manager has been updated to work with NV. Due to the quirks of load order I highly recommend that one over the craptastic default checklist, which is likely to break half the stuff you load, if not more. The only downside is you have to disconnect from steam IIRC, but achievements are silly anyway.

Uhhhh...whut? I run a copy of NV modded to hell and back, with NVSE, and I can still get Steam achievements as long as I don't open up the console. What're you talking about?

Other than that, there are a few tools you want to get in addition to FMM, including BOSS for your load order and FNVEdit and/or WyreBash for merged patches and general tweaks.

For actual mods, I would recommend...well, it gets complicated.

Project Nevada and one of the Weapon Mod expansions (WMX/WME) are pretty good picks, along with the More Perks/Traits pack.

You want HARDCORE hardcore? Get Arwen's tweaks. For survival that's a bit more fun, you could go for Imp's Complex Needs. Nevada comes with it's own needs pack, but I just disable it for something else usually.

A World of Pain and the Monster Mod are also good picks.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:30:43 pm »

Uhhhh...whut? I run a copy of NV modded to hell and back, with NVSE, and I can still get Steam achievements as long as I don't open up the console. What're you talking about?

That IIRC disclaimer was there for a reason, it's been months since I played NV. I do remember having to spoof a .dll to disconnect from an online service, but this was before I used steam regularly, so I may be thinking of a fake GFWL option for FO3. I'm not going to go digging to find it again, but if it works now, that's good.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 01:34:01 pm »

A World of Pain is overblown. You will be drowning in weapons, ammo and cash. Also, everything that happens outside of the underground will be a joke that you'll waltz through with the improved weapons.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 02:25:54 pm »

I strongly suggest you get Project Nevada, like now. It comes with an optional rebalance mod, which reduces the amount of skill points you recieve on level up and it really makes the game not as easy.

Nevada Skies is also a must have if you want the Mojave to actually seem like a desert, sandstorms will show up limiting your view. It basically adds in alot of weather options, along with making night time actually dark.

If your getting Nevada Skies I also suggest you also get Electro City, it basically makes all items which give off light in the game actually give out light.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 02:43:06 pm »

I use Fellout NV to remove some of the stupid color filtering that Bethesda Fallouts seem to add for no reason.

Weapon Mod Expansion adds a lot more customization options to weapons than the core game had.

New Vegas Bounties 1 and 2 add quite a few new bounty hunting quests that are well done.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 03:52:17 pm »

So other than what Stworca posted, no one seems to really be suggesting any balance mods? I ask because in FO3, ammo and stims and goodies were absurdly abundant, that alone made we want a mod to tweak it. Other mods added thirst and hunger and tried to make all the food and beverages interesting and different, as opposed to HP+5.

Any of that crap, or did NV basically get all that right on the first pass? I'm all for re-textures and stuff but it's not super critical to me; it's the game mechanics I'm primarily concerned with. (PS Sartain, how many extra loaders/managers/ect.... does that pack call for? I saw at least two things it said it wanted.)

Also which Novac Motel one are you recommending?

I'm using the one called NovacHomeExpanded, but if you're using the Nexus just use check for the ones with the most endorsements.
As for managers, I believe the mods I listed only require a regular mod manager, either the FOMM or the NVMM, and probably the script extender.
Concerning balance, you'll probably want to play at least hard mode with hardcore enabled if you're concerned about balancing equipment although as far as I remember New Vegas does it a lot better than FO3 did.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 10:54:27 pm »

Ok so I've gotten:

-Nevada Skies (I didn't realize how terrible/half-assed all the vanilla atmospheric stuff was until I popped this mod in. Holy shit.)
-ElectroTown
-Night Brightness Adjuster
-Nevada Skies Compatible Novac Hotel Room Upgrade
-New Vegas Bounties I&II
-Mojave Music Radio Expanded
-Weapon Mods Expanded

I'll get around to a Lucky38 Room mod when I get to NV. I decided against More Perks for this playthough, because some of them seem pretty overpowered.

So in terms of balance on Normal Hardcore, there's just a bit too much of everything still for my taste. I mean I'm a hoarder par excellence, so there's probably no getting around it but....would there be a lot less on hard difficulty or do should I go looking for a mod that drastically cut back on stuff?

I'm also looking for good quest mods like NVB, stuff of that caliber that has voice overs if it's any real length at all. If someone also has a good XP mod, so my next play through doesn't leave me 1/2 way to the level cap before I've even hit NV, that'd be awesome too.

PS-Is there any way to get the "weather update" thing from Nevada Skies to not spam me every 3 minutes? I want it, I just don't want it going off that often.

PPS-Need a weight mod that adds weight to aids and miscs and doesn't conflict with the above. I just tried "Weight Rebalance" and the game crashed on launch.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:06:47 pm by nenjin »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 11:24:38 pm »

A World of Pain is overblown. You will be drowning in weapons, ammo and cash. Also, everything that happens outside of the underground will be a joke that you'll waltz through with the improved weapons.
Actually, AWOP's weapons are added to the leveled lists, so aboveground stuff, on average, gets tougher too.
For example, there were a couple complaints that the initial Joe Cobb fight was impossible because of the weaponry the boys got.
I can't say I disagree.  I looted a sniper rifle off of them, and twenty levels later, it's still one of the best in my loadout.

Even so, you can grab a few mods to increase the enemy difficulty aboveground.
IWS and DFB's Random Encounters are pretty nice.  The vanilla game spawns are incredibly annoying to me, because I can predict exactly where and how many enemies will pop up.  Not with these.
There's also a lot of configurable settings for setting the difficulty as you want.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:46:25 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 08:38:24 am »

PPS-Need a weight mod that adds weight to aids and miscs and doesn't conflict with the above. I just tried "Weight Rebalance" and the game crashed on launch.
That happens when the mod's missing one of its requirements.

Anyway, I've got some quite nice mods:
Fallout Overhaul Kit (FOOK) - Can't believe nobody mentioned it. Pretty much adds tons of new stuff, rebalances the game a bit and more.
RobCo Certified - Build robots, harvest brains. Adds a lot of new bots to build and many upgrades to existing ones.
Companion Share and Recruit - Recruit pretty much anyone. Made by the same guy as above mod.
Playing With Firepower - Tons of interesting scripted weapons, like goo throwers, cryo throwers, reflective lasers ...

All these expand the game in a logical and lore-friendly way.
Pages: [1] 2