Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A new bug!  (Read 714 times)

Lord Dread

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://What that?
A new bug!
« on: July 20, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »

O_o ok get this:

i finally managed to make an irrigation system and i decided to use the faster way aka using the outside river  =__= it cost me my precious miner O_O and his even more precious pick

But for some reason he left a rock in the channel when he finished it it was there all along but i never bothered with it until 2 seasons later one of my new carpenters stand on the bank of the channel blinking cause he cant get the silly stone to build his bowyer's workshop... thats the bug im currently attempting to build a bridge over the stone to see if that will make it pick upable or something

otherwise my carpenter will just sit there for no reason

oh and for some reason dwarfs will go for the materials FURTHEST away from the building that they are constructing O_O i didnt last winter cause of it once =___= so yea

O_O by the way i love you guys for making the best game gameplay-wise showing up those pompous bastards with the mega grpahics.

GO ASCII! XD so yea

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A new bug!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

it seems like all of this is likely caused by designating the wrong wrocks to be used to build workshops. When building a workshop, the newest mined material (likely deep inside your fortress) is on the bottom, whereas the oldest (likely near the cliff face) is on the top. At the very bottom of the list will be processed materials. It is basically impractical to always choose a rock nearby the building site, but try to guess what rock would be in the nearby area and choose that one. As far as freeing that rock in the channel up, T-X the problematic construction site and make a new one, choosing a different rock.

Lord Dread

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://What that?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:51:00 pm »

o_O omg i cant believe i missed that and to think this whole time i was making my poor dwarfs run marathons to get stones

I thank ye kind sage i shalt now go and make my dwarfs happy yet again!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 11:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dread:
<STRONG>oh and for some reason dwarfs will go for the FURTHEST away from the building </STRONG>

Haha, that might because DF will always find the up-left most one, not the nearest one. Maybe it searchs from up-left of the map? Who knows.  :p

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

iluxan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 01:46:00 am »

Just to add my two cents:

I think this is one of the most important UI bugs that needs to be fixed.

The game already keeps track of all the stones that were mined, and I'm sure it keeps track of their locations.  It would be the simples change to group them together, and give the user a choice:

• Choose which kind of material (light/dark stone, kind of metal) you want to use
  • By default will choose the N closest rocks (shouldn't be hard to compute)

The game should also do a check to make sure those resources aren't blocked in some way (in a river, part of a building, inaccessible because of a flood/cavein, etc).  Again, very easy to do.

This will greatly improve performance of every fortress and prevent stupid micro-management.

This game could be really awesome if some of the micro-management is fixed  :)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 04:08:00 am »

I have to agree with iluxan that this would be one of the most useful changes with regards to gameplay.

Although as well as just being able to select the light/dark/metal/wood it would be nice to be able to select specific types (not specific instances) so I can still build my all moonstone bridge  :)

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 09:58:00 am »

Doesn't that just add more micromanagement?

The rocks in the list are ordered by when they were mined, with processed materials at the bottom. The only thing I could see as beneficial to add would be a sorting function to group them all together. It would look something like this:

code:

Available         Selected
Materials

Siltstone[8]          0
Moonstone[3]          0
Limestone[12]         0
Basalt[31]            0
Sandstone[21]         0
Slate[12]             0
Chalk[14]             8
Tower-cap logs[14]    0
Sandstone Blocks[21]  0

And so on and so forth through the materials. Kinda like the starting equipment selection screen.

[ August 03, 2007: Message edited by: schm0 ]

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u