Goblin ambush
- 1 (10%)
War with Elves
- 7 (70%)
Abandonment
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The epic (fail) of Mergedletters  (Read 1483 times)

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
  • Sevestra cancels Social Life: Too addicted to DF
    • View Profile
The epic (fail) of Mergedletters
« on: August 08, 2011, 05:01:41 am »

Well, I thought I'd get some spare time, boot up DF and start playing Fortress mode, been playing Adventurer for a month or so, had lots of Fun and got used to ASCII and the interface, so I'll embark and play it out now. I'll keep posting for updates on the story etc. Let's GO! (No screenies, I don't know how.)

Autumn of 251: Where to embark?

I scout the map, looking for Shallow and deep metals, no aquifier and a river, and after a long while I find a good spot. It has Clay, Shallow metals, Deep metals and some soil. It's Woodlands, Thick with vegetation and Warm Untamed Wilds and has a river. (At least it isn't evil)

I embark and wait for the game to load.

1st of Granite 252, Spring: Arrival.

We finally arrive, after trekking through major wilderness, our 7 strong (or should I say weak) group finally arrive, after having almost no supplies left, we start to think of names to call this place, we finally settle on "Mergedletters". I am the female dwarf Iton Swordshank, leader of this expedition and I shall take this land and make it mine! I designate the area to mine the entrance, the trade depot and stockpile, and I wait. It takes about a couple of hours for the others to start, I don't worry too much. After about a days work the miner moves away and starts digging underground, when the channel isn't finished! I don't worry too much then either, at least it's getting done. I designate a stairway and wait.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:08:42 pm by sevestra »

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The epic (fail) of Mergedletters
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:05:25 am »

4th Granite, 252:

The miner suddenly runs back down the hallway halfway through the mining, probably to eat. I don't worry. An hour later he runs back down and gets back to work, he finished the trade depot and starts on the stockple room. (Sev: Time pauses as I save the game)

What do you think of my work so far?

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:30:30 am »

6th Granite, 252:
I ask the miner what his name is, he replies "Deduk Thundercrystals". I think to myself "What an awesome name". The miner gets back to work and I wait up top for stuff to do. He runs back to the entrance, finishes most of the channel and runs back inside, one of our cats follows him too.

10th Granite, 252:
It seems that Deduk is digging randomly at the stockpile, I start to worry slightly, but my worries are allayed by food. I wonder if the others will start hunting/fishing etc. I check the labors and sure enough, they were turned off, because I have no hunters/fishers, I make my for now useless Jeweler go fishing. The miner (finally) finishes the channel and the stairwell.

12th Granite, 252:
An area is clear for the stockpile area, so I designate a meeting place so the others are inside. The dwarves and animals start filtering through the narrow entrance and gather at the meeting zone.

16th Granite, 252:
The mining is now finished, the stockpile is designated and I start building the second floor. I realize my mistake with making a dwarf fish, we have enough supplies to last us for now. I fix more labors and create a refuse pile, woodpile and pen outside. The others start taking stuff out of the wagon.

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 05:40:52 am »

18th Granite, 252:
I designate the mechanic's, mason's, carpenter's, and jeweler's workshops on the second floor. The wagon emptying is still in progress, nothing bad about that, except that the miner is standing there doing nothing. Then this happens 10 times: Urist McDwarf cancels store item: Job item misplaced, I think "WTF?".

22nd Granite, 252:
Still emptying the wagon. STILL! I ask the dwarves to build a trade depot, they say they will when they're done. All this waiting is starting to annoy me, never mind, I'm in my happy place.

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 05:44:56 am »

I'm going to start posting much less now, only when IMPORTANT things happen, I feel a bit spammy.

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:52:32 am »

28th Granite, 252:
The others have finally finished unloading the wagon, as such, I have ordered it to be destroyed. I also have made myself broker, bookkeeper and manager for lack of a better candidate, I now await the mining out of the workshops, then the bedrooms.

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 05:55:56 am »

3rd Slate, 252:
I figured out why the miner wasn't mining, the designations were wrong. The trade depot is going well, and the mining is yet to begin, waiting time.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:58:41 am »

I think your dwarves are all going to die, very very soon.

Seems intresting though, Il keep watching.
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 06:05:13 am »

@Mobotium, Thanks, I appreciate your input. To be honest I think the same as well.

7th Slate, 252:
I wonder why we aren't getting stone, then I come to realise that stone is grey and soil is yellowish, my mistake. We are now 3 levels underground and going down to the seventh to make bedrooms. I wait for the miner to finish digging it all, stone is naturally harder than soil.

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 06:10:31 am »

10th Slate, 252:
We have struck olivine, and I designate some trees to be chopped down, make the animals graze, and start a farm. (Sev: I MAJORLY misread the DFWiki tutorial)

11th Slate, 252:
We have struck cassitterite and galena! The fort is an absolute mess at the moment, we need to fix this, but the dwarves won't listen to my direct orders, just the indirect ones.

14th Slate, 252:
We have struck pink turmactaline (or something) and mica!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:14:40 am by sevestra »

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 06:20:55 am »

15th Slate, 252:
Where the f*** is my miner? Is he eating or sleeping? Oh, there he is. I made the others dump stone into a garbage pile I made on the second floor. That should be enough for now. Hopefully we can build this fast, before winter sets in. The caravan will bring stuff, but we won't have any to give. (Sev: How I love having FUN!)

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 06:23:00 am »

you should put someone on making rock crafts to sell (and bins to store them, unless you want even more stuff to haul).
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 06:24:56 am »

@Mobotium. I would if my workshops were ready, but I'll keep that in mind.

23rd Slate, 252: Nothing much happening.

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 06:31:36 am »

25th Slate, 252:
The workshops are mostly done, the farm is being started and the fort is starting to look neater now.

27th Slate, 252:
Bedrooms are being started as all the mining is done.

Sevestra: I have to go to bed soon, sleep is not evading me. I'll be back tomorrow with more on Mergedletters. For now, I'll keep playing until I'm about to keyboard microsleep.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:34:07 am by sevestra »

sevestra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 06:38:32 am »

1st Felsite, 252:
Made the Mason build a table and throne. Maybe I'll start on those rock crafts Mobotium told me to make, after I start the bedroom stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3