Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'd appreciate help with a Mac install  (Read 1157 times)

kpdezend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I'd appreciate help with a Mac install
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:06:02 pm »

I'd appreciate help with a Mac install, I have downloaded the files from:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_31_25_osx.tar.bz2

But it seems to give me windows files?  Is the link downloading the wrong thing right now?  Do I have some other obvious 'user error' going on? 

I downloaded the original mac release some time back and it downloaded an executable that I was able to run with no problems, which is why I think the link may be pointing to the wrong thing. 

I know, I know... the first 18 people who read this think "I have something really clever to tell this Mac guy", and even before getting to this part of my post, have already typed a 'quick reply' response suggesting somehow that if I was to get rid of my Mac/ buy a Windows box/use boot camp/ something else incredibly original... then all of my problems will be solved.  OK, whatever... regardless of what you post, I'd still really appreciate anyone who would give me a legitimate answer that actually helps me get the current DF running on my Mac.  If it makes the rest of you feel better about yourself to make some snide remark about my choice of computing platform... awesome, I hope the rest of your day continues to make you feel better about yourself. 

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'd appreciate help with a Mac install
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »

DF doesn't really "install" afaik. You have to run it like a shell program

1) Open command prompt/terminal
2) cd to DF directory
3) run "./df" (no quotes)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:16:39 pm »

Ah, you're looking at dwarfort.exe. You need to run the 'df' shell script, in the same directory. The script makes a call to the .exe to run DF, as far as I can tell.
@above: ninja'd, although you don't have to use terminal. Just double click the 'df' file.

By the way, if you have any trouble running Windows-only programs on OSX and there's no ready-to-use Mac version (like some DF mods), you might want to take a look at Wine. It runs (most) Windows programs on Intel Mac, as well as Linux. OSX-specific install guide here.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:18:50 pm »

@above: ninja'd, although you don't have to use terminal. Just double click the 'df' file.

Boo to you for reminding me that you can still do that :( I use command prompt way too much.

Anyway, all the same I hope this works out. DF is so much fun.

kpdezend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:23:03 pm »

Wow... those replies were fast!  And perfect!  Thanks guys... they both worked.  I was totally trying to run the dwarfort.exe. 

I've been meaning to really get into DW for some time now, this is totally going to enable me to avoid so much more work!  :-)

PS:  I don't use terminal as much as I should, but this reminds me of how much I am missing.  And I'll check into wine as well.