Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))  (Read 12689 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2011, 02:20:33 am »

17 Hematite

These dwarves were running around like chickens with their @$%%@ cut off. The previous overseer had apparently only designated three types of storage spaces: food, booze, and shit that doesn't float away when you set it down on the ground.

Of 85 dwarves there are 23 children. 23! WTF do they do around here all the time? ANd one of them is a legendary bone carver. A Goblin snatcher came by and got one of them. Which is sad, because I figured he had room for a few more in that nasty sack of his. Once our defenses are set I have to figure out a way to get all of them corralled. Maybe in that tiny room with the raised bridge.

The training room is almost finished. I drafted a few novice carpenters to help Mozum out, and they have been working overtime to get me 50 training spears. It looks like these chubby elves have been smelting and smithing with charcoal and coke when Armok's lifeblood courses beneath our feet. I have sent the miners down to dig out a proper dwarven metalworks. But it is slow going as they had only two proficient miners when I arrived. Further evidence of their green-tight-wearing ways. I have ordered the trade depot deconstructed to show these squirrel kissers how to treat elves.

Among the lot here in tree lover land I have found only two dwarves with any bollocks. Bleaktes is a mason's mason and has been working furiously turning lumps of gold nuggets into statues and slabs, which has incidentally increased the value of the fort above the 3.2 million mark. Working alongside Bleaktea is Urvad (Libadshorast, not the other four tree lovers) engraving memorials to the fallen dwarves that have not been interred. I worry about her though, she seemed to be a little over anxious to engrave memorials to V-Norrec. Three times I asked her to memorialize Dzha and she did V-Norrec instead. I had to stay with her the fourth time to help her remember how to spell D...Z...H...A.

I had the statues and slabs placed in strategic locations so that any dwarf doing a (ridiculously long) hauling job would have to pass through half a dozen memorials or statue gardens. The net effect is that we have 23 ecstatic dwarves with only six dwarves still moping about. Once I get the magma forge complex dug out I am sending the miners after more gold ore and have Bleaktea craft a statue for each dwarf's bedroom.

That's enough for now. The roof over the front courtyard is almost complete so it's time to sort out what they are going to do next.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:25:17 am by Varnifane »
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WeatheredCastle: A noobish attempt at a succession fort ((Looking for peeps))
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2011, 06:50:41 am »

The previous overseer had apparently only designated three types of storage spaces: food, booze, and shit that doesn't float away when you set it down on the ground.
Yeah, I just designated two mega stockpiles with everything except corpses/refuse turned on to get the 5000 pieces xX(clothing)Xx off of the floor and into an area I could send them to the trade depot or designate them for smashing easier. Workshop locations were one giant clusterfuck when I got there though.

I have sent the miners down to dig out a proper dwarven metalworks. But it is slow going as they had only two proficient miners when I arrived.
We used to have six. Tantrum spirals are fun.

Further evidence of their green-tight-wearing ways. I have ordered the trade depot deconstructed to show these squirrel kissers how to treat elves.
Great, more useless crap to clutter the halls.
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2011, 10:46:30 am »

Regarding the elf booty: with the exception of the a few things that are useful, like animals, cages, barrels, etc. I have forbidden it and will trade the rest of it to the humans when they get here. None of the rest of it will make it into the fortress.

Since I am at work now I'll make the next update ooc and will add pictures later.

1st Galena

• The new mega-forge-complex and the magma supply has been dug out. I have identified a migrant that no one likes to do the engrave fortifications in the warm stone wall in case anything goes south. I am also carving out a lower fort in the 5 layers above the forges and will be setting up burrows for specific jobs.
  • The courtyard is completely covered, the nifty drawbridges are all up and i have restricted the entire above ground area.
  • Between this and keeping all dwarves specifically tasked I expect we won't have (too many) wanderers other than children. And hopefully when the children get snatched it is at the rate of two per month to prevent tantrum spirals.
  • The miner that was in prison died. No wonder there. But it brought the total number of dwarves that are less than content to 1. What's up with the simpering gloom machine we have for a mayor?
  • The training room is complete, so the training of the military will start immediately. I won't train them to Legendary so they will still be willing to work.
  • I'm going to place a number of hatches on the multiple stairwells we have and experiment with locking them to increase FPS. I have gotten 8 FPS from removing the stockpile in the courtyard and transferring all of the food downstairs.
  • I've walled in the farm floodgate so that a tantrumming dwarf or a ghost can't randomly flood the fortress.
  • What is it about Bleaktea and lizards? I was placing statues in the training room and there were half a dozen statues honoring the things.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:07 pm »

17th Slate

It hasn't taken much to remind these dwarves who they were. After we seized the god from the elves I had them line up and taunt them as they left.
The forge is complete and humming.

Before filling with magma via a carved fortification

We have all of the smelters to produce steel and four of the forges working full time to get our smiths up to legendary. When I complete the area to the left I will turn this into a burrow for all of the forge workers.

Fate is taking care of the childsplosion

I can't win them all...

We have a decent if not formidably equipped military

So far we have added two groups of haulers to our numbers

And more than fifty percent of the dwarves are ecstatic with the direction the fort is moving in.

cam94509

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2011, 12:06:43 am »

I'd like a turn. I'd love to try out a succession fort once.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2011, 12:15:17 pm »

I've spent most of the second half of the year hauling things. The dwarven caravan will be leaving soon with more than 150000 of random crap we have had strewn about.

We had to take a break from our hauling efforts to deal with a major miasma issue. When we got to the center of the miasma cloud we found Realmdude naked and rolling around in a heap of rotten dog intestines. I told him there is nothing wrong with that sort of thing, but he needed to do it on the surface so it didn't stink up the whole fortress.

In the last couple of months i am going to wrap up a few last minute projects, and when I turn this fortress over to the next overseer I will include maps of the areas I added and or changed.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2011, 12:39:11 pm »

I've spent most of the second half of the year hauling things. The dwarven caravan will be leaving soon with more than 150000 of random crap we have had strewn about.

Second year in a row. We would probably have the king by now if our dwarves hadn't been too busy killing each other during my turn.

We had to take a break from our hauling efforts to deal with a major miasma issue. When we got to the center of the miasma cloud we found Realmdude naked and rolling around in a heap of rotten dog intestines. I told him there is nothing wrong with that sort of thing, but he needed to do it on the surface so it didn't stink up the whole fortress.

Completely naked, or did he have gongofshitdick with him?  Also, where the bloody hell did I miss a part that could rot? I even dumped crap from the butcher shops into the smash heap.
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2011, 01:21:14 pm »

The rotting happened when the merchants arrived in the midst of a massive butchering operation.

I had set up six butcher shops topside with six tanneries right next to them and designated most of our animals for butchering (the little fps hogs). The butcher shops, I realized later, weren't really outside. Also, I didn't recognize the two butcher shops conveniently placed in the center of the main part of the fort.

The haulers ignored the meat waiting in the butcher shops and started carting goods to the trade depot. Once the meat started rotting the dwarves started dumping the rotten meat down the ore delivery shaft I constructed to save hauling ore to the smelters.

So I had miasma on the bottom level of the fort, spewing from the butcher shops in the middle of the fort, in a couple of random places dorfs had dropped the food they were carrying when I redirected them to depot duty, and from the ceiling vent above the atom smashing room. All of these locations were highly populated and trafficked areas.

I had to un-pend all of the goods I was sending the trade depot, deconstruct all of the butcher shops, un-designate my ore shaft and cart all of the rotting bits to the atom smasher. I was annoyed by the situation so rather than carefully picking through the piles of garbage to designate only the rotting goods I d-b-d'ed the entire area the butcher shops were in, dumping the bone and other useful bits as well.

The whole time I was watching the dorfs move ridiculously slowly (miasma kills fps) I kept remembering that I had originally wanted to designate the area under the atom smasher as a pasture, de-select animal hauling from the dwarfs and smash the animals and children as they came into the room.

I wasted three weeks of dwarf labor because I wanted to harvest bone for training bolts. And I still have all of these free-loading FPS-killing children.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:25:14 pm by Varnifane »

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2011, 02:34:48 pm »

I had a dream last night and went something like this...

So, I think my time as babysitter overseer is done. It's just as well spring rolled around and it is time for me to focus on my hammerdwarf skills. I wonder, was it worth a year of my life, trying to keep this bunch alive just a little bit longer. To hold back fate for a few more days? They don't pay me to wax philosophical, so never mind.

I have included some illustrations for the next overseer:

Gate:

The gate are has been cleaned up all that is left is items that may be useful in the future. I hope the craftsdwarf remembers how I showed him to make rock pots, using wood that should be made into charcoal is such a waste.

Mess level:

Looking back on it, I wish I had walled off and flooded the entire right side of this level. It would have saved two months worth of labor. In any case I got rid of the massive dump everything stockpiles and slowly replaced them with food only stockpiles, moving the food closer to the "center" of the fort. Once all of the food was safely in food stockpiles I started making small, targeted stockpiles to keep the dwarves focused. Once they finished stockpiling one kind of good, I would lay down another (or another type of) stockpile for them to focus on.

A last not for this level. The last month of my tenure I restarted the booze industry. We still have years worth of food, so I don't think we should focus on that at all in the future.

Mess level 2:

This level houses some more targeted (and small) stockpiles. This isn't a bad place to start up a leather and clothing industry, just move the leather and cloth stockpiles to the end of the room and build your leathercrafter and clothing workshops in the middle with two small (specific) output stockpiles to receive the goods.

Hauler's Friend:

I dug a tunnel to drop ore and such down. It is over 30 z levels to the forge area from here, so I was able to move the ore a lot quicker than if the hauler had to carry it down and then come back up. By my calculations it tripled the efficiency of all of the ore haulers. Also, as is shown in the next illustration we can build hatches linked to levers  to shut if we want to stop the goods at an intermediate level.

Bleaktea's Workshop:

Bleaktea's home away from home. I set this area up early so Bleak could worf on gold rubble furniture without the rabble bothering him. Later I made a (well appointed) barracks for my squad of hammer dwarves. This level could easily be the center of a middle fort that we caneither fall back to if overrun from the top, or that we can strike out into the cavern layers. I have a few levels opened up for just such a purpose.

Lower Storage:

This lower storage layer is one level above the forges and exists as a staging area. The unlabeled stockpiles along the left side of the room are designed to hold only the type of furniture I drew in them. This level as well as the forge form the heart of the lower fort.

Forge:

The crown jewel of our fort is our fully functional magma forge complex. I set this as a burrow and assigned all forge workers to it so they wouldn't waste their time heading back to the surface. I have currently ordered the four smiths to produce goods for trade until their skills reach the level that we feel they are ready to work steel. As an aside we have more than 160 bars of steel waiting to be made into implements of war.

I bid the next overseer well.

I'll add the snapshot later.

Save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4941
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:45:50 pm by Varnifane »

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2011, 06:15:07 pm »

BTW, when I was finishing my turn late last night without thinking I did dfcleanmap.

It's something i do in all of my own forts in the last few days of winter because I hate "spring cleaning". I did it reflexively, and as soon as I did it I felt like an ass; but I don't think it will affect anything in the gameplay (other than an increase in fps) because we don't have FUN forgotten beast ichor lying around.

I apologize.

dzha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • shff
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2011, 03:06:22 am »

Nice work Varnifane!
Your quite experienced in this. Can you explain to me how do these hatches work?
You put an stockpile on them, fill them and then open the hatch below it?
shff.wordpress.com

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2011, 10:17:13 am »

I designate the hole as a garbage dump and then select the items I want dumped; which is why I ended up with rotting food in the forge. Dwarves with the refuse hauling job enabled will then grab what you designated and drop it down the hole, just like with our atom smasher.

The way the hatch in Bleatea's workshop works is that if you want the stuff you drop to the forges, open the hatch. If you want to send it to the workshop, leave the hatch closed and then move the items off the hatch. Once the items are off of the hatch you can open it to send stuff further down.

One caution, when you aren't actively using the chute, undesignate the garbage zone. Also when you want to use the chute, undesignate the atom smasher dump zone.

cam94509

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2011, 12:58:54 pm »

I'd like a turn. I'd love to try out a succession fort once.

Hey, uh... Can I get added to the list? Sorry for being a little impatient, it's just that I realized my post was a little small and thus might be easy to miss.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »

Sup with the next turn?

dzha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • shff
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2011, 03:43:57 am »

Wheres V-Norrec?
shff.wordpress.com
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13