Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cave dwelling adventurer  (Read 4038 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave dwelling adventurer
« on: August 07, 2011, 07:14:08 pm »

Anyone find a cave, go into it, and want to find a living in it?

I'm gonna take a good-sized embark into a cave, dig out a small niche near a lake, make a bed, put it in the niche, dig out a massive room and put the food and booze in the room, seal the room off with a stone door, abandon, come to the cave in adventure mode, go into the niche, unseal the door, put all the food and booze in my backpack, and live in the niche. I could also just take a lot of extra backpacks, leave the wagon(s) as is, dig the room(s), abandon, pick up the barrels and backpacks, and put the barrels in the backpacks.

I'll have to buy or make quite a few extra backpacks to hold some of the booze and food into them, and keep the backpacks in my hollow. I want to dig the niche close to a lake so I can get a good drink of water every now and then, 'cause I'm gonna get sick of drinkin' nothin' but booze forever, unless I go as a dwarf.

I could go hunting for troglodytes, gorlaks, and various other cave creatures should my initial food supplies run short, as I cannot plant, harvest, cook or brew plants and seeds yet.

I'll also have to make a wood or bone crossbow or leather sling and make some extra appropriate ammo for them, or take a crossbow, a quiver and lots of copper bolts, or start as a bowman. I cannot hunt without a ranged weapon and ammo, obviously.

Anyone else, post their cave exploration expeditions here. I'd like to see what others do.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Cave dwelling adventurer
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:07:40 pm »

I want to do this, but am not going to until mining and such is allowed in Adventurer Mode.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:23:30 pm »

As in, I'm starting a fort to dig into the caverns, dig out a small room, build a bed, and abandon. I'm coming back to the fort in adventure mode, snatching all the stuff from the wagon, and heading down to the caves in an attempt to live off of what the fort brought.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 08:58:45 pm »

Stockpiled booze gets spilled out upon arrival and reclaim. I'm not stockpiling the booze or food.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 05:17:34 am »

Stockpiled booze gets spilled out upon arrival and reclaim. I'm not stockpiling the booze or food.

Prepared food is still edible upon reclaim though.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 06:48:38 am »

I want to do this, but am not going to until mining and such is allowed in Adventurer Mode.
you mean when toady adds it in or until someone finds away to do so?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:31:03 am »

Both.Toady will add it in the possibility some day... but probably you will have to mod it anyway for some reason.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:39:02 am »

Prepared food is still edible upon reclaim though.

I'm still not stockpiling it. I'm just gonna leave the food and alcohol in the wagon as is.

EDIT: Stupid giant ants killed me as I was picking up the supplies. Whoever made the Civ Forge mod made their giant ants ridiculously strong.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:28:57 am by UristMcHuman »

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:22:00 am »

you mean when toady adds it in or until someone finds away to do so?
Either. I'm aware of the ways to achieve it by switching between fortress and adventure with dfhack, but I don't see it as worth it since I'd be switching constantly.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

babies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »

Do you actually need food/water to survive? My adventurer had been getting along fine without any sustenance.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:41:49 pm »

Both.Toady will add it in the possibility some day... but probably you will have to mod it anyway for some reason.
oh because with Dfmode you could swap between fort mode and adventure mode and get your adventurer to mine stuff.
I made a thread on it called Pick and Axe.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 04:46:21 pm »

Do you actually need food/water to survive? My adventurer had been getting along fine without any sustenance.

Not in the current version  :)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 05:26:51 pm »

The wiki says that you didn't need to eat or drink since 31.17.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 05:56:01 pm »

In the modding section, I said I was gonna make reactions so that my guy could tan animal skins, make leather clothes, armor, packs and quivers, carve simple wooden weapons and combine knapped rocks that I made with logs from a previous fort to make stone daggers. I could make a 2x2 fort near a fortress, take along lots of leather, logs and thread, abandon, start as an outsider adventurer, go to the fort, raid the wagon for the logs, thread and leather, make a leather shirt, pair of trousers and shoes, make some armor, craft a wood bow, carve some wood arrows, sew a leather quiver and backpack, take the extra cloth, leather and wood, and go live in a cave.

I guess I could make reactions that could let me make cloth clothes, packs and quivers, but I think then it would get too unwieldy.

Anyways, when I hunt in the caverns, I could tan the skin of my kill and make a leather object out of it. For companions, I'm just going to take a crossbowman, do what I threaten to do, head to the caverns, and hope to find a camp or two of animal-peoples.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 07:12:35 pm »

oh because with Dfmode you could swap between fort mode and adventure mode and get your adventurer to mine stuff.
I made a thread on it called Pick and Axe.
I know: you plug it at every opportunity.
Pages: [1] 2