Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are Danger rooms an exploit

Yes, they are an easy means of getting legendary dwarves.
- 91 (32.7%)
No, it's in the game and no one says you have to use it.
- 54 (19.4%)
Who cares play however you want.
- 133 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 274

Voting closed: August 13, 2011, 06:26:01 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Do you think danger rooms are a exploit?  (Read 16203 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think danger rooms are a exploit?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 08:21:23 pm »

Think about it: if you were to be put in a room, with a floor that shoots out sharp sticks and mallets at random intervals, wouldn't you quickly train yourself to avoid them easily?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 08:22:31 pm »

I would say it is not an exploit.

It is still unbeliveably overpowered, unbalanced, and broken.

All it needs is a nerf so traps are more deadly with training weapons and less deadly with real weapons to simulate thier uncaring, blind swings.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 08:24:01 pm »

Using the mechanics of a game to achieve something in the most efficient way possible is commendable. I don't use them much for gameplay, but I love testing every aspect I can to find a new/better way to do something in DF. Danger rooms are a great example of this.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 08:29:40 pm »

Think about it: if you were to be put in a room, with a floor that shoots out sharp sticks and mallets at random intervals, wouldn't you quickly train yourself to avoid them easily?

I certainly wouldn't become world-class at it in a day, that's for sure. There's a limit to how much people can learn through the same repetitive training, and how much they can learn within a given time-frame.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 08:33:32 pm »

this has come up before and as i said, they are an exploit. whoever though of it first was a genius and has my greatest respect, the rest of the guys, well, it's their problem they're not having as much Fun as they could, because Fun is fun.

I certainly wouldn't become world-class at it in a day, that's for sure. There's a limit to how much people can learn through the same repetitive training, and how much they can learn within a given time-frame.
it's also absurd how undeadly blunt wooden weapons are in the game, in a real situation danger rooms would break a few bones and even kill a few dwarves... not that i think they shouldn't be ingame, jut that they should be tinkered to be saner, more realistic and Fun

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37:52 pm »

Quote from: SenorOcho
You'd get very good at dodging blunt "spears" coming from fixed locations in a predictable pattern.  They don't care where you are, they aren't specifically trying to pierce your vitals, they just go up and down... At best, it would only raise dodging (and not nearly as much as it does), as there is nothing in this exercise that should be helping with Armor, Blocking, or Parrying. 

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 08:40:15 pm »

All this "Military" Carp is just foolishness. we should just go back to the way our ancestors did it and douse them all in magma.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 08:43:10 pm »

All this "Military" Carp is just foolishness. we should just go back to the way our ancestors did it and douse them all in magma.

Good point.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 08:44:49 pm »

Quote from: SenorOcho
You'd get very good at dodging blunt "spears" coming from fixed locations in a predictable pattern.  They don't care where you are, they aren't specifically trying to pierce your vitals, they just go up and down... At best, it would only raise dodging (and not nearly as much as it does), as there is nothing in this exercise that should be helping with Armor, Blocking, or Parrying. 

presumably, just jumping arround while wearing an armor improves armor using skills. otherwise i agree with you

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 09:03:51 pm »

I think they're an exploit, but I don't think we should'nt use them, because sometimes they are needed. The normal training is too slow. A full-sized squad, all in steel and trained for three years will still get destroyed at the first siege coming. And that's the problem. Sieges come every year, sometimes every season, but it takes at least five years to have a strong military force. Not using the danger room makes it basically impossible to try and fight the spartan way (no fortifications, no traps, only dwarves and goblins killing each-other).

Sometimes, I don't want to spend hours making the ultimate defense system. Sometimes I just want to send a legendary +5 axedwarf alone in the middle of a goblin siege, watch him enter in martial transe and count the number of flying limbs per frame.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 09:07:00 pm »

ah SenorOcho so we meet again...Either way thanks for all the input everyone and keep it coming. This is rather interesting.
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 09:12:54 pm »

I was going to say, "Yes, it is most definitely an exploit." ... but then I read Imiknorris' post, and I have to agree with him as well.  :o
They aren't if you use menacing spikes...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 09:14:04 pm »

"Exploit" is an absolutely meaningless, subjective term. (Especially in a single-player game.)

The great thing about Dwarf Fortress is that you can concentrate on the areas of the game that interest you, and hand-wave the areas of the game that bore you.

If you don't find building a kick-ass military Fun (and yes, I promise with the right embark you can have a Legendary fighting force in a year, and have fun doing it!) then you don't have to build a military.

If you don't find agriculture fun then you can eat meat and buy booze from caravans. If you don't find a textile industry fun then you can wander around in tattered rags. If you don't find economics fun then you can make a quarry leaf roast and buy the entire caravan.

My point is, I don't think it's an "exploit" to say "Hey, I'll use a training room" but rather "You know what, I could train an elite Spartan Hoplite fighting force with micromanagement and attention to detail, but instead I'm going to just make a danger room so I can spend more time mining/brewing/potash making/etc. because that is more FUN for me."

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 09:21:39 pm »

I don't understand the notion that normal training is too slow.

Make a barracks with food stockpiles and beds
Make squads of 3-6 with matching weapons, water-skins and backpacks allowed to carry the maximum supplies
Set the barracks to allow sleep and training
Schedule the squad to train 3-6 minimum all year round
Set the squad to active

Doing the above I consistently get axe-lords with legendary fighting and 8-10 in dodging/shields and 3-6 in other skills in 1-1.5 years. Throw in a handful of war dogs to soak up some of the damage and by the time you get the first ambush you should lose at most one to two military dwarves. By the time you get your first siege you should have thirty or so guys in decent armour with 3+ skills at legendary.

If you can't get 5 guys training by the end of the first year and at least 12-18 within the first few seasons of the second year with at least bronze, preferably iron and ideally steel armour and weapons then do something dwarfy like a drowning chamber, death pit, magma cannon or cave-in trap.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 09:45:36 pm »

i like to have to outnumber my first ambushes because my military istn ready yet, gives a sense of dificulty that this game is losing, i long for the days when this was actually true. also, training with a skilled dwarf as the leader of the squad gives much quicker results, i always embark with a skilled axedwarf\shieldsdwarf\teacher to give me a headstart

i also don't use steel, or nerf it to be only slightly better than iron or bronze, and don't get me started on agricultural practices... the fact that my fortresses gain value very slowly gives me plenty of time to prepare, though, and i often resort to utilities to start with more dwarves
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12